What sketches scared you as a kid?

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

I know who you mean. His name was Bruno. Actually, he did speak once. At the end of "Follow That Bird." Oscar told Bruno where to take him, then Bruno responded "Sure thing, boss." I remember he had sort-of a deep voice.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I liked Bruno but yeah the full figure Muppets were sort of unnerving :smile:

punkNpuppets

Reaction score
Originally posted by BlueAM
Unlike most of you guys, I grew up watching Sesame Street in the late 80's and early 90's. Many of the sketches that scared me were "Muppet-only" bits.

Like most of you guys, I was afraid of the Martians, because of the noise they made, the fact that they looked like jellyfish, and the way they moved their mouths. Also, like Ryan, I was always afraid of Humpty Dumpty, because of his voice and his mouth. But these were NOTHING compared to Placido Flamingo. I did'nt like his accent, I thought that the black part on his beak was a MOUSTACHE, and you could look into his mouth when he sang!
I COULDN'T AGREE WITH YOU MORE!!! i don't really remember Placido talking, but he was REALLY scary looking (opera music itself is kinda scary). that animal orchestra thing was scary too. i was never afraid of cookie monster or the count (i loved them). in fact, i wasn't afraid of any of the 'trademark' characters. here are a few of the sketches that scared in order from least to greatest...

11. some LUMBERJACK - i forgot whether he was on the american ss or not. he looked kind of like Guy Smiley with a brown mustache. he's song just kinda sounded scary.

10. WANDA - Wanda was a fairy, i real person. i just thought the telephone one was kind of weird, but not quite scary.

9. CAPTAIN VEGETABLE - the original Benny Rabbit. his permanitley closed eyes scared me. ss muppets with permenatley closed eyes usually scared me as a kid (except for sully. i used to LOVE biff and sully!).

8. LIFESTYLES OF THE BIG & LITTLE- i remember 2 of them, one that started out with a purple background with that host (i think it's Robin Bleach or something). The scary part was that giant. The other one didn't send me to my room like the first one, but it made me KIND OF uncomfortable because of the talking pencil with the freaky mustache.

7. CAVEMAN DAYS - Okay, i used to love Ernie & Bert. i HAD TO if i loved Sesame Street! but them in Caveman Days was scary. it wasnt them being cavemen but the part with the dinosaur and that purple girl with Don Music's hair screaming was freaky.

6. SCHOOL IN THE AFTERNOON - All I was afraid of was that teacher with the HUGE mouth that made Steven Tyler look like Cher!!! The intro with the blimp was KIND OF scary, just a bit though.

5. UP AND DOWN - Let's face it, Placido Flamingo was scary. he had the freaky black part on his beak (but now i know that if he didn't have that black mark, he wouldn't be a flamingo!). The song was kind of scary because of him and seeing him go up and down the stairs, but at least Ernie was in it. He made it less scary.

4. This one is blurry, i remember placido on the street. he was with some kids, i think. i read a jim henson book from my school library with a picture of him with a honker (made me laugh that the honker's name is Homer). that kind of made it less blurry and then i knew it wasn't just a dream of me watching sesame street.

3. Animal Orchestra - this was a scary one. not just placido but how the pigs were hitting there chin on the little-wall thing they were behind. i saw it again when i was 9 after watching arthur and it caught me off guard. now i'm DYING to see it again, cuz Placido's not scary to me anyone. if someone asks me if i'm into opera, i'd say "No but that Placido Flamingo from Sesame Street is awesome." well maybe not. they'll think i need help...

2. Vincent Twice - how could you not think it was scary. HE WAS BASED ON HORROR-STORY-TELLER FROM A HORROR TV SHOW!!! the intro was freaky with the stained glass-like picture lady standing next to a grave dressed like she just came home from a funeral! then it goes into the grave and shows Vincent STARING AT A CANDLE (scary deluxe) with a thunderstorm going on outside. the story that scared me the most was one with a cat who got into this ladies hat (cat in the hat, lol) and she puts the hat on and the cat goes nuts and she screams her head off (NOT literally though). scary.

1. THIS is the sketch that scared me the most.........SPACESHIP SURPPRRRIIIIIIISSSSSSSE!!!!!!!!!!! this one dude says "Captain" and the captain screams "YES!!!!" he sounded like the lead singer of Boston after have 50 cups of coffee! he would ask the Captain some questions and the captain says "Cuz we loove..." then he hides for a few seconds then pops up and screams "SURPRISES". When they land on the planet they find a letter (usually a letter combo like QU, CH, SH, TH, etc) and in the end, they do a weird dance....I have memories of it coming on and running up into my room and putting my ear on the floor to see if it was over!!!!! IT WAS SCARY!!!! WHAT IDIOT CAME UP WITH THE IDEA OF THAT...oh wait, henson, SORRY! JIM YOU AREN'T AN IDIOT, I LOVE YOU!!!! father son holy spirit amen....

punkNpuppets

Reaction score
Originally posted by Zoot
I think Harry was just boring. He walked around and sounded like an angry landlord...and he always was up in Mile's face (Miles is Gordons kid) about stupid things...besides...he had to compete with Super Grover and Cookie Monster.
Don't talk $*** about Herry, he ruullllezzz!!!!!!! and his name is spelled h-E-r-r-y!!!! and Harvey Kneeslapper ruled too!!!!!!!

punkNpuppets

Reaction score
Originally posted by 80'sboxes
There is one skit that scared the crap out of me, and one character that I never wanted to run into on the street.

The character was the big dude who carried oscar and his can around. I forget his name but he looked about 10 feet fall and never said anything...wore jeans and a jean jacket and kept his head down for the most part. The silent types still freak me out. I don't remember seeing him often in later years but he made a few appearances in the early 80's.

The skit that scared me (and still sorta does) was the one with all those little ramps set in a pitch black room, an orange ball ran down the ramps and through a serise of little flags and tunnels..then at the end it went through this little machine and ball gets turned into powder which a little girl comes over and eats. Its strange...obscure and I wonder today who came up with that idea. I think the thing that bothered me so much was the setting. It was a weird item set up in a weird, undistinguisable place. It was like it had no setting at all.

Shannon
HEY BRUNO RULEZZ!!!! i used be an OSCAR JUNKIE (no pun intended) WHEN I WAS A LITTLE AND, therefore, I LOVED BRUNO!!! i always watched the garbage man picking up the garbage from my house and i thought "hey it's bruno" and i called the recycling man "the glass bruno" ****!!!!!!

punkNpuppets

Reaction score
wait...are you serious?????? cuz it sounds too twisted for a kids show!!!!!! i've never seen it...i've seen some scary shows before, but it would be scary to see a kids show doing something like that...i love jim henson, and the muppets, and sesame street and stuff, but putting that on a kids show is SICK!!!!!!!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Heyyy... I like Placido Flamingo and Space Ship Surprise. Herry is cool too!

But I can remember that any kind of cartoon with an indistinguishable setting, especially the Letter ones (like F, face or Y, yak) were kind of eerie. the fact that they had no BG music startled me!

Plus there was this alphabet segment (another psychadelic skit) with a loud, scary organ music. It reminded me so much of the number pinball!

BlueAM

Reaction score
You were scared of the Sesame Street All-Animal Orchestra, too, punkNpuppets? I can't believe how much we have in common. And Vincent Twice, Vincent Twice hosted "Mysterious Theatre", the opening of which parodied the PBS show Mystery! This segment concerned the adventures of Sherlock Hemlock and his faithful dog, Watson.

Also, I believe Dicky Tick is the host of "Lifestyles of the Big and Little". Would it be possible for you to give me a full description of what he looks like? Please include hair color if applicable, eye and/or eyelid color, skin color if applicable, nose color and shape if applicable, and a description of his wardrobe of as many pieces as you can describe.

Also, what did each crew member of the Spaceship Surprise look like? Give a similar description of what they looked like... if you have the time and inclination!

Thanks for your help and have a great day!

BlueAM
"It's a wonderful life and I love it."- Jim Henson

punkNpuppets

Reaction score
well, the guy from "Lifestyles Of The Big & Little" looked like the guy from "Lifestyles Of The Rich & Famous" (of coarse) and he was purple, i think. I'm not sure about EACH crew member of Spaceship Surprise but i know the Captain looked like Guy Smiley in a silver suit and he MIGHT, just MIGHT have had a William Shatner hair do (because of the original star trek).

punkNpuppets

Reaction score
i was also kinda scared of when Oscar went down the stairs in Christmas Eve On Sesame Street.