1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

What sketches scared you as a kid?

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by Jennifer, May 12, 2002.

1. SillyJoeBob

SillyJoeBob New Member

I don't recall ever seeing ANY of these segments.

SillyJoeBob
  2. The Word Is No

When I saw The Word Is No it scared the **** out of me (it was probably the beginning). Now, I think it's one of Sesame Street's best songs.
  3. Elizabeth

Elizabeth New Member

Hee hee!! Me too! I remember one version of it, where the ball falls into a box at the end and you see a hand come and crank a lever, then another hand comes and powder comes out of a spout from the box into the hand. Nobody eats the powder. But there's another version of it (my kids have it on one of the videos) it's the same exact thing, but then at the end, the hand comes and cranks the lever and three cherries come out of the spout and land on ice cream sundaes, and that's the one where the little girl eats one of the cherries.

Elizabeth
  4. Elizabeth

Elizabeth New Member

Did any of you have moms that watched sesame street with you and have fun? It's part of being a good parent.[/QUOTE]

Oh yes, it was my mom who saved me from my scariest moment!! Okay...this is waaaay back, early 70's, and it ironically came on after the "Polluter" segment. Does ANYONE remember MR. JONES???? (That's what I always have thought his name was, could it have possibly been James Earl Jones??) It's a big, bald face filling up the entire screen, staring out at you and saying..."A...B...C...." through the WHOLE ALPHABET!!!! ohmigoodness it scared the bejiggers out of me! I distinctly remember my mom turning the "contrast" knob (we had a black and white TV) and blacking out the whole screen except the white letters that popped up in the corner as Mr. Jones ominously recited them!!!!

So several years later, I am a sophomore in high school, and I was babysitting and was watching Sesame Street with the kids, and what comes on, but the "Polluter" segment.....don't know if Mr. Jones was to follow again because I SHUT IT OFF!! (I still might today, now that I think of it!!)

Am I nuts? Does anyone else remember that??

Elizabeth :)
  5. GeeBee

GeeBee New Member

That is James Earl Jones. That skit used to scare me too as a child and my parents had to change the channel. Doesn't bother me now though, it just seems a little monotonous.
  6. GeeBee

GeeBee New Member

I heard that they changed to the cherries on sundaes ending because the powder finale was too much like the ball had "died". I don't know if this is true.
  7. SillyJoeBob

SillyJoeBob New Member

Why did that skit scare you so much? I look forward to hearing why this is.

SillyJoeBob
  8. Mister Fred

Mister Fred New Member

Most of these segments were on in the 70's. The baker falling down the steps at the end on the counting segment and spilling the cakes & pies has been on since Sesame Street started. The secret knock (3knocks and the 2 men that stole the golden AN were really good. Cookie monster in the library is cookie getting a book at the counter and when the man turns to go get it cookie says "and a box of cookies". The man first explains that they only have books, NO COOKIES! About the third time he yells "HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL YOU WE DON'T HAVE COOKIES". At last cookie says he wants a book about cookies and a glass of milk, the man faints. That Willy Wimple, arch polluter is still on as far as I know and should be taken off. I could not stand it.
    When my mom watched sesame street with me, I don't remember the polluting segment on, but all the others I listed were. She said about the secret knock that Lefty was as bad as Forgetful Jones. The pockets song was on mostly when the letter P was the letter of the day. It was on other times as well. I don't know how the whole song goes but all I remembered it starts with a woman singing "what do we do without pockets.....pockets are perfectly fine....you need a pocket for combing your hair". The scenes in the segment that I remember are a woman wearing a tan coat opening a pocket on the coat. Then a boy combing his hair then putting the comb in his back pocket on his blue jeans. Another woman with a tan jacket opening a pocket with a zipper and pulling the pocket inside out. Others were a man pouring tomato juice in his shirt pocket then squeching it! Then someone pulling a hankerchief out of there shirt pocket and the woman singing "there are pockets that are magic". The last two other things I remember were someone stepped on a step on a ladder and it broke. Then a woman wearing a white sweater with her hands suspened ready to put them in the pockets on the sweater. After the woman singing sings "what do we do without pockets" the woman puts her hands in her pockets and the woman singing sings "pockets are perfectly fine". This song has not been on in many years, but I always remember the bits & pieces of it cause it was one of my mom's favorites.
  9. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if I mentioned this one, but there was some weird skit cartoon thing where some sort of animated "Bird" with creepy swirly eyes spells the word bird, and then says it in an equally errie voice!

GOOOhhh! What were the animators smoking?
  10. BlueAM

BlueAM New Member

Well, for one thing, I LOVED that skit, especially that the villain sounded an AWFUL lot like Sydney Greenstreet (ya know the guy from "The Maltese Falcon" and "Casablanca" with the gravelly voice and funny laugh).

Also, Frazzle used to scare me, as well as "The Word is No". In addition, "I'm an Ardvaark and I'm Proud" freaked me out, I think.

BlueAM
  11. Whatever

Whatever Active Member

I can't remember being ever scared by the Muppets. Apparently most of the scary segments were on before I was born in 1984 LOL! :concern:
  12. GeeBee

GeeBee New Member

Either that or you just weren't as neurotic as the rest of us. LOL
  13. Oliver

Oliver New Member

hahaha I had that same toy when I was little and used to put Guns N Roses cassettes in his deck and laugh for hours. I was probably 8 years old at the time. One night though, Big Bird had a story book cassette in him and all of a sudden as I was fast asleep in bed, I heard Big Bird's nasal voice speaking to me in the dark. At first I was a little dazed from just coming out of sleep and didn't really make the connection, but as I came into consciousness and realised my Big Bird was sitting in a pitch black corner of my room talking to me while I slept, I burst out yelling and shrieking for my mom and went flying under the covers, shaking with fear. My mom had to calm me down and sit with me for almost an hour as I fell back asleep and the next day I took the Big Bird toy out from my mom's room where she took it after the event of the prior night, and with my friend we smashed Big Bird with hockey sticks until he broke into a hundred pieces and than shot it under a couch in my living room. I never wanted to see another bIg Bird doll again.
  14. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

ACK... that's just bad....

Anyway, I never did like the Spanish version of the 11 on a black board skit... it's just so random that it was spanish....
  15. nica

nica New Member

scary skit

the scariest skit to me was the one where the count slept over at ernie and bert's and kept ernie up all night counting. the next morning ernie's eyes were all freaky.
  16. clipjj27

clipjj27 Member

A couple of things that 'freaked me out' as a young viewer:

1. The clip featuring a man's face changing shape. It's a cartoon, and everytime his nose or other facial features would change, it would be accompanied by a creaky door sound. Shivers up my spine, brrr!

2. Batman and Robin segments - two I remember feature someone using a handkerchief to clean a dirty window and Batman throwing a boomerang through a window. I think there was also a third one which started out showing Joker or Penguin running out of some building, but I'm not too sure.

Even at the age of 32, remembering things like these still gives me the creeps and makes my stomach want to do a somersault.

17. GonzoLeaper

GonzoLeaper Well-Known Member

When did Batman and Robin show up on Sesame Street?

Batman and Robin were on Sesame Street??? Cool!
    Can someone please give me some more information on this?
    Thanks
  18. clipjj27

clipjj27 Member

Yes. I watched Sesame Street primarily between the years of 1975 and 1981 and these clips were on (or produced) during that time frame. What years did you watch Sesame Street? If it was after that time frame, maybe Sesame Street stopped showing them. Also, just wondering, if you're interested, did you see the thread I started a couple days ago about 'snippets' I remember from those years? I listed ten of them, and might add more in the near future. Thanks for responding.

19. muppetphile

muppetphile New Member

"V"

Is that the cartoon in space where the woman's flat voice kept repeating "v"...."v"......"v"....."v"..... as the letter "v" sped through space (from left to right) and, just as it comes to a stop, the woman says "VEEE!"??? I was a little freaked out by that as a kid.
  20. Mr.Penguin

Mr.Penguin Member

v.....v.....v.....v....v....VEE? :eek: