1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

What sketches scared you as a kid?

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by Jennifer, May 12, 2002.

1. Jonathan

Jonathan New Member

What Sketches scared you as a kid

Noithing From Sesame Street realy scared me.
    But on the Vienson Prise Muppet Show I was scared for life!!!
    It was the dicsion panel where Gorgen Heap ate Kermit. I was 5 and i dint watch the Muppet Show for Weeks!!! :eek:
  2. Splurge

Splurge Member

To this day, I still find something a little creepy about the cow "jumping" in the skit where Kermit reports on the "Hey Diddle Diddle" rhyme. Maybe it's the sound, or the very visible marionette strings. Or a combination of the two. :)
  3. jrod

jrod New Member

Are there any dvds that contain these scary, dada-esque scenes? I am interested in watching them again. The one that majorly scared me was the pbs logo with the tri colored pbs heads. The synthesizer would go "bliiiiiiiiiiing-de-de-DE-deeeeeeeee". That's the only one I have on vhs. I also have 3 episodes of Electric Company n some of that is scary too, like "Spidey", the silhouette heads, and the floating letters in space.
  4. scooter289

scooter289 Member

The sketches on Sesame Street which scared me as a kid were The one where Bert and Ernie are in that temple with the sarcophagi that looked like them. Also, the Muppet News Flash: Humpty Dumpty sketch, that egg looked really scary man and he still does. I also think the Java Muppet shown on Muppet Moments in the attic scared me but I'm not sue if that counts as a skecth or not
  5. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

the G sgement with grover.
  6. ponamytrail

ponamytrail New Member

Ok, last one for awhile. My sister and I began piecing this one together, so I would think that it had to be old. Once again, it is fragmentary, and alot may be remembered wrong.

It was an "on the wall" skit, where Kermit was trying to demonstrate something. Herbert used to do this too, making Grover run way into the background to retrieve colored blocks until he fell over from exhaustion.

Kermit was explaining the concept of "in", and had a Grover-looking monster (my sister insists in wasn't the traditional Grover, and that was scary enough) helping, along with an enormous pink box. They had to pan out to get it all in the screenshot.

Kermit wanted the Grover monster to get "in" the box, but he would instead get under it, next to it, on it....etc. Kermit gets frustrated.

Finally, the scary part is that an ENORMOUS monster comes out of the top! It was green and unlike any other muppet, (It looked a little like a yak) and I think Kermit faints or runs away.

Grover seems unaffected and greets the monster by name, something like, "Hi, Bill"

We knew that big box was bad news from the get-go.

Again, this could all be remembered wrong.

***And here's one that may have been the Electric Company, but I'll toss it up, hoping someone remembers. It was an animated short with 2 caterpillars. The voice and eyes were horrible. The one caterpillar kept harrassing the other saying something like, "You don't get it, caterpillar!! You JIVE, GREEEEEEEN caterpillar!! Caterpillars never, never NEVER never.....wear brown boots!"
    I had nightmares of that awful little bug too.
  7. G-MAN

G-MAN Active Member

12)The opera singers(upsidedown faces of Jim & Jerry).

Thank you, I had nearly forgotten about them, that sketch used to creep me out too, but now at least, I'm able to watch it without flinching, much
  8. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

no the catterpiller cartoon was indeed SS. i wonder who was songing and doing the voices for both catterpillars? it sounds familliar like i heard it somewhere else.
  9. Boober_Gorg

Boober_Gorg Active Member

I'm guessing it was Joe Tex.
  10. Contessa

Contessa New Member

That would scare me too. :eek:
  11. Danimal

Danimal New Member

I Beam

I BEAM, I BEAM I BEAM!!!! I, as an 8 or 9 year old, would run out of the room in hysterics, like i had just seen the face of the devil! The scary muisic, the firery image of the I beam being forged, nothing was ever more scary on Sesame, or really on any other show i was watching at the time...Anyone agree?
  12. core

core New Member

Maybe was that charakter Frazzle?

I know only him from the encyclopedia of sesame street.
    http://www.sesameencyclopedia.cjb.net/

By the way. I have already told in this topic I was scared about the Count, but I was a little girl and it was a long time ago. Now I adore him.

For the rest I din't like very noisy songs and until today I still don't like noise songs.
  13. T-Bird Chick

T-Bird Chick New Member

all of the skits with sweetums
  14. jrod

jrod New Member

i wish i could have a dvd of just scary sketches.
  15. MuppetDude

MuppetDude Active Member

The clip Danimal was talking about was a film where a red-orange piece of steel is shaped into the letter "I". It had some very scary music, with a piano and trumpet and...ecch, it even creeps me out! :o
  16. BlueAM

BlueAM New Member

Might I add, Cookie Monster's "Healthy Food" freaked me out, possibly the broccoli.

BlueAM

"Me one healthy dude, cause me eat healthy food!"
  17. mikealan

mikealan New Member

MuppetDude,

I sent you #2558 and #2574 already and I know #2558 had the 'I Beam' film segment. Did it begin to scare you when you watched #2558?
  18. MuppetDude

MuppetDude Active Member

I'll tell you once I'm out of the fetal position... :zany:

I wasn't really scared of it, but it was very odd; it began with a loud clang and a close-up of the fiery beam, and..... :smirk: thanks for scaring me again.

:o
  19. fozziefan

fozziefan New Member

scary stuff on SS

It makes me so glad to see that alot of the things on SS that freaked me out were scary to you guys too. Anyway, here are the things I remember that were really scary:

News Flash where Kermit interviews Humpty Dumpty. That egg still creeps me out!

The Super Grover intro used to scare me because of the loud booming voice of the announcer, plus I was always startled when Grover seemed to jump out at me from behind the screen.

The skit with Grover and Kermit where Kermit has teeth. Very disturbing.

Guy Smiley and some of the other "human" muppets like him used to frighten me too. I'm not quite sure why.

Anyhow, I just thought I'd share my experiences on this topic.

:o
  20. Princeton

Princeton Guest

The "Harry the Horse" cartoon; the narrator's voice was just FREAKY.