Where's the love for Rocky and Bullwinkle?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The one thing that kind of distracted me about the character designs was how Boris's outfit is now rendered in detail, making it look like he's actually wearing a 60s-era spy suit. Not something that I either love or hate, but it did distract me at first.

But I must say, I kind of how the characters (aside from Rocky and Bullwinkle themselves) look, especially how Captain Peachfuzz has googly eyes like Cookie Monster (and it was amusing to see him work the turntable).

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
But I must say, I kind of how the characters (aside from Rocky and Bullwinkle themselves) look, especially how Captain Peachfuzz has googly eyes like Cookie Monster (and it was amusing to see him work the turntable).
Oh yeah, that's another thing I liked: all the cameos from other characters like Duddley Do-Right and Snidely Whiplash. Too bad they didn't shove Peabody and Sherman in there too, but I guess they already have their own franchise now.

Erine81981

Reaction score
Yeah this was a special feature on the "Peabody and Sherman" Movie Blu-ray edition. I got to see it. I had saw it at a store but when I saw that it was shot in 3-D then I thought well I don't have a 3-D player and my good friend told me that you don't have to worry you can still watch it. It won't be rendered if you watch it on a regular blu-ray player. So I bought it (to be able to watch the Peabody and Sherman movie) but also to see the Rocky and Bullwinkle short. I love me some of them. That's what I watched on Nick. I told my mom (since at the time she watched "All My Children") that Rocky and Bullwinkle are to me like my Soap Opera. There were always twist and turns with it.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've recently been thinking about the old Rocky and Bullwinkle VHS releases from Buena Vista Home Video. I've recently read that R&B was the first franchise released on video by Buena Vista, which Disney had just started as a label to release properties that the company only had the video rights to. And it seems odd that none of the Walt Disney Home Video releases seem to advertise it.

Various Walt Disney Home Video releases of the 1990s had mini-catalogs, which advertised videos from both WDHV and Buena Vista (and Jim Henson Video, though JHV was part of Buena Vista Home Video). Some of the Walt Disney Home Video releases had advertisements for other releases from Buena Vista/Jim Henson Video (like the Chipmunks releases and many of the Muppet ones) before the programs started. At first the Jim Henson Video releases seemed to exclusively feature promos for other Jim Henson Video releases under the "coming attractions" but eventually also advertised other releases (though The Muppet Christmas Carol video release did have a promo for Aladdin).

But it seems like the Bullwinkle releases weren't advertised in other videos. The Bullwinkle videos had their own mini-catalog advertising just the Bullwinkle videos, and the Bullwinkle videos were the only things advertised on the tapes themselves (no promos for any other Buena Vista or Walt Disney Home Video releases). I wonder what the deal was here.

Bliffenstimmers

Reaction score
I never caught wind of it til just a few days ago, but someone on Tumblr has been doing a Rocky and Bullwinkle fanfic sort of radio drama thing. They're doing a story that is a sequel to "Upsidasium" and there are some occasional nods to the Bullwinkle fandom, small as it may be. It's also done live, so the pacing is kind of off, but there is also audience participation.

I've only heard the first five episodes, but in my opinion it generally has the same type of feel. Some parts linger on longer than they ought to, but I'm not dissatisfied with it in the long run. For a person like me, starved of new Jay Ward material, this fits the bill well enough.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Reminds me of a fanfic I discovered so many years ago (back when internet was still relatively new to me) that was basically THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW, just with Rocky and Bullwinkle characters in all the parts. I recall Rocky and Bullwinkle were the ones who stumbled onto the Frankenstein Place, and I think maybe Snidely Whiplash was Dr. Frank-n-futter, I don't remember.

This was when I was a kid and didn't know what RHP was, so I don't even remember if I understood it or not, lol.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Just yesterday I realized the meaning of one line that I hadn't gotten.

It was in the Bullwinkle's Corner segment Hickory Dickory Dock. When the stubborn mouse won't run down the clock, Bullwinkle points out that he's supposed to run down, and the mouse says "in my script it's the clock that runs down".

All this time, I thought that line was odd. I think I even thought so as a kid. But now I realized something about it - the line is "the clock struck one and down he run" - the he obviously means the mouse, since the mouse is the only one who could have run down, but it seems the mouse thinks that the he of that line is the clock. Rather than meaning "the clock struck one and down the mouse run", he thinks it's "the clock struck one and down the clock run".

Not the first Bullwinkle joke where I was really late getting it, and I won't be surprised if it's not the last.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So as I understand it, AESOP AND SON was created as something of a replacemment for FRACTURED FAIRY TALES, but apparently viewers didn't like it and complained, thus bringing FRACTURED FAIRY TALES back . . . but, both shorts are really, really similar to each other, in fact, the main difference between the two is AESOP AND SON has a framing device that FRACTURED FAIRY TALES lack, but structurally, both shorts are still pretty much the same.