Your Thoughts: Muppets From Space

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Wait... "The Muppet Movie"? I don't remember it,
I can understand not connecting that song at the end of the Muppet Movie with the title "The Magic Store." Even if that is the title, the phrase is only mentioned once and it's not that prominent. So no worries. :smile:

Fluffets

Reaction score
I can understand not connecting that song at the end of the Muppet Movie with the title "The Magic Store." Even if that is the title, the phrase is only mentioned once and it's not that prominent. So no worries. :smile:
I hope though that no one else thinks that I couldn't remember the film. Of course I meant the song, I was just typing in the way I might say it. I can't edit it now!:eek: If i did edit it I'd change it so I'd say "Wait, it was in the muppet movie?" :smile:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I hope though that no one else thinks that I couldn't remember the film. Of course I meant the song, I was just typing in the way I might say it. I can't edit it now!:eek: If i did edit it I'd change it so I'd say "Wait, it was in the muppet movie?" :smile:
Yeah it's weird that you can't edit things after awhile. But I think it's been explained. :smile:

Vic Romano

Reaction score
I think Gonzo is a puppet.

:wink:

I actually really dug MFS, and I don't know why. A lot of people make very strong and well thought out statements about the Muppets playing characters vs. the Muppets playing themselves, and that's probably why MFS is my favorite post Jim Muppet film.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I think Gonzo is a puppet.

:wink:

I actually really dug MFS, and I don't know why. A lot of people make very strong and well thought out statements about the Muppets playing characters vs. the Muppets playing themselves, and that's probably why MFS is my favorite post Jim Muppet film.
Did you see MFS in the theater or on home video? The small screen experience is much different and better one in my experience. After the opening number - the scope of the script that they went with didn't suit the big screen. I remember getting restless in the theater more than I do when I stick in the disc at home.

There was just so much opportunity squandered in the writing and direction. The joy was missing for me along with the number of clever quips that MTI had in abundance. Still I prefer the Muppets being themselves.

I just wish they'd been given more to do in Tim Hill's movie. I feel it's a D grade film, but a C video. I'd rather it been an hour-long TV special and VMX been a fleshed-out full theatrical feature. Well, if they'd offered a bit more music and some happier moments. :embarrassed: Still, those projects were years apart. I just want to hear the Segel movie's in active production.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
I saw it in the theater. Yeah, it coulda' been better, and it felt thin, but I still enjoyed it.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I saw it in the theater. Yeah, it coulda' been better, and it felt thin, but I still enjoyed it.
I wish they'd kept the energy of the opening throughout the picture along with Jerry Juhl's original vision.

Today's audiences expect more humor than ever before. The Simpsons can wedge a dozen gags a minute every week. There's no need for Kermit to look so bored in a feature film.

There was a fun film in MFS and it shows through in bits and pieces, but I kept wanting to jerk the camera away from the director and point it at the far more interesting avenues in the margins of the movie. Also the idea to scrap any original music was strange. People always claim the film musical is dead, then a Moulin Rouge, Chicago or even High School Musical hits the theaters and makes a fortune.

I understand the MFS love. It's just once that opening day I really felt it was over for the Muppet brand for a long time to come. It's ten years later and things are looking up.

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
I've said it before, but I'm still in the "I can believe Gonzo is an alien." group. HOWEVER, he is a whatever first and foremost. I think part of the awkwardness of the movie was that it wasn't really needed. And it could have been handled so much better. But it wasn't something that really needed to be gone into anyway.

But for all the hard times the fans give this movie, it did have its bright spots. Jeffery Tambor and Bobo were pretty funny. Gonzo, while he did come off as being almost an entirely different character from his Muppet Show days, was at least sincere. Many of the other Muppets just didn't have the same feeling or connection that they had in other movies and series that came before.

Fluffets

Reaction score
Did you see MFS in the theater or on home video? The small screen experience is much different and better one in my experience. After the opening number - the scope of the script that they went with didn't suit the big screen. I remember getting restless in the theater more than I do when I stick in the disc at home.

There was just so much opportunity squandered in the writing and direction. The joy was missing for me along with the number of clever quips that MTI had in abundance. Still I prefer the Muppets being themselves.

I just wish they'd been given more to do in Tim Hill's movie. I feel it's a D grade film, but a C video. I'd rather it been an hour-long TV special and VMX been a fleshed-out full theatrical feature. Well, if they'd offered a bit more music and some happier moments. :embarrassed: Still, those projects were years apart. I just want to hear the Segel movie's in active production.
Good point. Also was there ever a "dedicated to Jim Henson" bit in ANY of the films?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Good point. Also was there ever a "dedicated to Jim Henson" bit in ANY of the films?
Muppet Christmas Carol was dedicated to Jim Henson and Richard Hunt. The first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles film was also dedicated to Jim Henson because the Creature Shop created the animatronic suits. Muppets From Space has a little nod to Jim Henson when Kermit reads his local newspaper - The Hensonville Observer. We make a nod to that on this site in the background of the News section menu.