Your Thoughts: Muppets From Space

Bob1995

Reaction score
What do you mean?:mad: Gonzo is an alien. Or he is in my opinion. (upon watching that movie several times!) :concern: He just didn't want to join his family because.... well probably several reasons.

#1 He only just met them.
#2 It's (unlikely but) possible that (maybe!) they weren't his real parents.

#3 (the obvious) He had spent so much time with the muppet gang that he didn't want to leave.

That's my conclusion, thank you.:big_grin:
Um, I get your point, but from the perspective of the writers, they dropped it from the continuity once Disney bought the Muppets. It's like they burn the script to keep the continuity in place.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Wait... "The Muppet Movie"? I don't remember it, but poor me can't hear lyrics that well. (rushes to get diagnosed) Well it's not like I'm deaf or something but I usually can't understand many modern songs, I won't bother to describe how much modern music is TERRIBLE! I hope the muppets don't stoop to the level of fast-tempo raps or deppresing songs. I can somehow already picture the electric mayhem doing that though, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
I don't mean to question how big of a fan you are or nothing like that, but I never heard of a Muppet fan that doesn't remember the Muppet Movie. It's not excatly a "modern movie" as it came out in 1979, so needless to say the songs aren't "modern" either.

I don't know why you're lumping in "the magic store" with those songs, :confused:, or really why you brother to mention "modern music" and you're dislike for it. The Muppets have already done a little rapping have you seen the Coolio episode of "Muppets Tonight?"
It happens classic characters like Muppets are always going to do whatever to seem "hip and cool." I don't think they'll go to the level of making them sing some god awful "emo" songs, but stuff like signing rap or modern pop songs like they did in "Studio DC: Almost Live" is going to happen.

Back to MFS, though, I don't care for the whole Gonzo is an allien idea. I think it was more or less a cheap answer to a question people have been wondering for years. I like that Disney upon owning the Muppets have dropped the whole "he's an allien idea" and turned him back to an "whatever." They didn't drop it all together though, they use that as a theory as to what Gonzo could be, which is fine.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
In 2007 Dave Goelz appeared at the YBCA in San Francisco for the Jim Henson screenings. Gonzo was at hand and he admitted to being an alien when asked. It didn't seem like a big deal to him. I don't care for that origin either or what befell Muppets From Space, but ask a Muppet any question on any day and you're bound to get a variety of conflicting answers. Muppets are less about cannon and more about humor. Personally, I wish they'd abandon the alien thing altogether. I suppose there's still a segment of younger fans attached to the alien origin in Muppets From Space. So that's what I know firsthand about the character.

Fluffets

Reaction score
I don't mean to question how big of a fan you are or nothing like that, but I never heard of a Muppet fan that doesn't remember the Muppet Movie. It's not excatly a "modern movie" as it came out in 1979, so needless to say the songs aren't "modern" either.

I don't know why you're lumping in "the magic store" with those songs, :confused:, or really why you brother to mention "modern music" and you're dislike for it. The Muppets have already done a little rapping have you seen the Coolio episode of "Muppets Tonight?"
It happens classic characters like Muppets are always going to do whatever to seem "hip and cool." I don't think they'll go to the level of making them sing some god awful "emo" songs, but stuff like signing rap or modern pop songs like they did in "Studio DC: Almost Live" is going to happen.

Back to MFS, though, I don't care for the whole Gonzo is an allien idea. I think it was more or less a cheap answer to a question people have been wondering for years. I like that Disney upon owning the Muppets have dropped the whole "he's an allien idea" and turned him back to an "whatever." They didn't drop it all together though, they use that as a theory as to what Gonzo could be, which is fine.
I didn't say it was modern music, it obviously isn't by quite a few decades. And of course i sorta do, because I've seen TMM quite a few times on dvd. And I didn't lump it at all. I was just saying that I somehow didn't remember quite a song of that title in that movie and it's probably because I can't understand all lyrics that well although usually I have a problem with mainly modern lyrics. Not that it is a modern song. I was also saying that I probably can't understand lyrics of modern music because they aren't tha good, or hearable. And on that note I hope the muppets don't stoop to the level of most modern musicians. And personally I don't think they dropped the idea. I'm not trying to act like an idiot here but what makes you think he isn't n alien? Just because he stayed with the muppets doesen't mean his family isn't the aliens.:concern::concern:

Fluffets

Reaction score
Um, I get your point, but from the perspective of the writers, they dropped it from the continuity once Disney bought the Muppets. It's like they burn the script to keep the continuity in place.
Good point too:smile:. I can see why some people are happy with that but it answers a long-asked muppet question so I'm all for it.:big_grin::big_grin:

Fluffets

Reaction score

Plus I meant I couldn't remember the song, of course I'd remember the movie, it's the best, my Mum saw it at the cinema when she was a kid and since I'm in one of my interests phases then I got it on dvd. I usually find out about my interests over 10 times. And then when I move on I find out about my next interest. etc.....

JJandJanice

Reaction score
In 2007 Dave Goelz appeared at the YBCA in San Francisco for the Jim Henson screenings. Gonzo was at hand and he admitted to being an alien when asked. It didn't seem like a big deal to him. I don't care for that origin either or what befell Muppets From Space, but ask a Muppet any question on any day and you're bound to get a variety of conflicting answers. Muppets are less about cannon and more about humor. Personally, I wish they'd abandon the alien thing altogether. I suppose there's still a segment of younger fans attached to the alien origin in Muppets From Space. So that's what I know firsthand about the character.
But there was also times Dave Golez as Gonzo had the character of Gonzo saying he was all happy to find out who he really is and as disapponted when Frank Oz himself told Gonzo "that was just a movie." You're right that the Muppets aren't really about Cannon.

Here is the youtube video if you've never seen it.

I didn't say it was modern music, it obviously isn't by quite a few decades. And of course i sorta do, because I've seen TMM quite a few times on dvd. And I didn't lump it at all. I was just saying that I somehow didn't remember quite a song of that title in that movie and it's probably because I can't understand all lyrics that well although usually I have a problem with mainly modern lyrics. Not that it is a modern song. I was also saying that I probably can't understand lyrics of modern music because they aren't tha good, or hearable. And on that note I hope the muppets don't stoop to the level of most modern musicians. And personally I don't think they dropped the idea. I'm not trying to act like an idiot here but what makes you think he isn't n alien? Just because he stayed with the muppets doesen't mean his family isn't the aliens.
Like I said they Disney didn't drop the idea all together, but they used that as a theory as to what Gonzo is rather than a total yes he's an alien.

I never said because Gonzo stayed with the Muppets that's proof he's not an alien, :attitude:, nor did I really say I don't think he's an alien. What I did say or at least meant to say, is that I enjoy the idea of Gonzo being a "Whatever" meaning no one knows what he is, I guess the reason I enjoy that the most is cause I've grown up not knowing what Gonzo is or suppose to be, and in my opinion giving him some bogus origin out of nowhere like oh he's an alien just takes away from the character a little, :concern:. In some ways that's what helped made Gonzo the special character he is, though I guess I can see why some people like the whole idea of him being an alien and it at least gives people some answer to a question they've been wanting to know the answer to, though in my opinion, this is one of those questions better left unanswered.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
But there was also times Dave Golez as Gonzo had the character of Gonzo saying he was all happy to find out who he really is and as disapponted when Frank Oz himself told Gonzo "that was just a movie." You're right that the Muppets aren't really about Cannon.

Here is the youtube video if you've never seen it.

Like I said they Disney didn't drop the idea all together, but they used that as a theory as to what Gonzo is rather than a total yes he's an alien.

I never said because Gonzo stayed with the Muppets that's proof he's not an alien, :attitude:, nor did I really say I don't think he's an alien. What I did say or at least meant to say, is that I enjoy the idea of Gonzo being a "Whatever" meaning no one knows what he is, I guess the reason I enjoy that the most is cause I've grown up not knowing what Gonzo is or suppose to be, and in my opinion giving him some bogus origin out of nowhere like oh he's an alien just takes away from the character a little. In some ways that's what helped made Gonzo the special character he is, though I guess I can see why some people like the whole idea of him being an alien and it at least gives people some answer to a question they've been wanting to know the answer to, though in my opinion, this is one of those questions better left unanswered.
Thanks for that. I enjoy the ambiguity of the Weird One. I like that Frank Oz is still kicking butt with the Muppets in one way or another. :super:

Packaging any character too far into a box is always a bad idea. It limits their humor (and they have to travel that way anyway).

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Thanks for that. I enjoy the ambiguity of the Weird One. I like that Frank Oz is still kicking butt with the Muppets in one way or another. :super:

Packaging any character too far into a box is always a bad idea. It limits their humor (and they have to travel that way anyway).
You're very welcome frogboy4, I hope you've enjoy that as much as I did.

And yeah I agree, packaging too much can be a bad idea.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The funny thing about Gonzo is that, if you think about it, they always managed to lump him up with outer space and alien stuff like that. Not saying that he was an alien, outside of Baby Gonzo's theoretic origin story on Muppet Babies, which was in his imagination anyway.... but there seemed to be some sort of connection somehow. or just a series of odd co-incidences. Like Gonzo just so happened to have the space shoot'em up in the game Chaos at the Carnival, or that Gonzo played an alien in the Atari 2600 game as well.

Personally, I chalk it up to Gonzo's inner spaciness. Dude's personality may not be of this world, but that doesn't mean he really was an alien.

I still think it wouldn't have been too complex a plot point to reveal that they weren't really his alien brethren.

That said, I really enjoyed the chemistry that Jeffery Tambor had with Bobo. I really think that Muppet OZ would have been a little better had they given the wizard that Jeffery played Bobo as his assistant. Such a missed opportunity.