Question about making puppets

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
The pattern can be scaled up or down, I usually scale patterns using a photocopier or on the computer.

As for fleece, the actual Kermit puppet is made using a custom fabric you can't buy in stores, but Antron fleece works nicely. It's available through Georgia Stage in the US (there is no UK supplier that I am aware of).

Bobble991

Reaction score
Thanks for the help, Ill try and get some antron fleece. Now I come to examine the real kermit I dont see any seams. How does that work then?

Bob

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
It's a combination of the stitch used and the pile (or "fuzz") on the fabric hiding the seams. See the "antron fleece" link above for more details.

puppetguy 2191

Reaction score
any tips on making foam puppets? this is my first thread!

hi everyone. i am new on this site, so i don't really know what to do. just trying to get to know people. i am going to attempt to make my first professional grade foam puppet, and was ondering if anyone had any tips. tips about puppet animatronics ( aka blinking eyes, ect.) would be appreciated.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Check out the articles on eyelid mechanisms and moving eyes on The Puppet Building Wiki. I have a lot of information and links available on PuppetBuilding.com that you may find helpful and this forum is jam packed with information on just about every aspect of foam puppet construction if you spend some time searching the archives.

spcglider

Reaction score
hi everyone. i am new on this site, so i don't really know what to do. just trying to get to know people. i am going to attempt to make my first professional grade foam puppet, and was ondering if anyone had any tips. tips about puppet animatronics ( aka blinking eyes, ect.) would be appreciated.
Jumping right on doing mechanisms in your puppet is a pretty advanced step to take for the first one.

It is best to work in stages. Design your character on paper first. Draw a cartoon of the character you want to build. You'll get LOTS of ideas of how you're going to go about executing the design just from that simple exercise alone.
That's not to say "winging it" isn't fun either... it is. But there's never a guarantee that your puppet will turn out the way your brain sees it without making a good plan first.

-Gordon

puppetguy 2191

Reaction score
thanks for your advice, but this isn't my first puppet. it will be, approximately, my 28th. this will be my first professional grade foam puppet. thanks for the tip though.
does antone know a website where they offer free professional puppet patterns? i know it would be a wise investment, but i really don want to shell out $150 for the forma trio on projectpuppet.com. i am not very tight with my money, but even i think 150 is a lot for some pieces of paper and a couple of instuctional booklets

pjpiperhop

Reaction score
Hi puppetguy,

I can certainly understand that you want “value” for your money, and I can understand that $150 may be pricey for a puppet pattern. From your post however, it looks like you are looking for a professional puppet pattern. If that is what you are looking for, it is going to cost you some money.
Now there are many free puppet patterns on the web. Some of them have been mentioned and/or posted in this forum. They are good patterns, but if you want something more, you are going to have to pay for it.
Quite frankly, project puppet’s patterns are great value for your money. You can buy one of the three head style patterns for $49.95. You don’t need to buy all three.
You stated that the money is not the problem, So just buy one, see if you like it.
I guess what I’m trying to say is that you get what you pay for. Free is free for a reason.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
This is very true. I think it's important to remember that when you buy a pattern you're not just paying for pieces of paper, you're paying for the years of experience the builder uses to make them and you're paying to save the time and energy it takes to figure it all out on your own.

That being said, there's some good free patterns and tutorials available depending on what you need. There is a free round headed puppet pattern available as well as a "Kermit" head pattern that's very simple and flexible.

You can also find a lot of links to various other patterns, tutorials and resources on PuppetBuilding.com.

puppetguy 2191

Reaction score
thanks, everyone. i guess you are right. but i think i will buy the forma trio then just one pattern. why spend 50 on one pattern, when i can get three professional grade patterns, intructions, and tutorials on cd's for 150. by the way pjpiper hop, i love your free is free for a reason quote. It's so true!
thanks everyone. :crazy: