When you outgrew Sesame Street...

• Thread starter Philo and Gunge
  • Start date

Rubber Duckie

Reaction score
Even though I'm about to turn 20, I still watch it sometimes. Just a few days ago, I caught a bit of the episode where Elmo, Oscar and Grungetta were all doing the grouch Apprentice thing and in my opinion, it wasn't that bad. Although, I've always liked Ernie's rubber duckie when I watched it regularly as a toddler. That's how I got my username. (kehehehehehe)

SweetMayhem

Reaction score
I will admit that I went through a stage in about 3rd or 4th grade when I decided I no longer wanted to watch Sesame Street because I was "too old." I can still remember the sadness on my mom's face because she loved watching it every morning with me. Of course now I'm 21 and watch SS youtube clips and DVDs all the time. I don't really watch the shows on TV because I don't usuallly have time to catch them. But it was never a matter of my parents forcing me to grow up. They loved that I was content watching Muppets and Disney and I wasn't asking to watching R rated movies or late night TV.

mjb1124

Reaction score
I watched SS regularly until I was about 9, and my mom didn't really seem too phased by it. Maybe it's because she also enjoyed watching it to a certain degree, particularly the videos we bought such as Sing Yourself Silly and Monster Hits. And the only time I remember getting teased by my peers over SS is once when I climbed into a trash can and said "I'm Oscar the Grouch", and one of my peers said "That's a baby show!". Of course, I never really talked about SS much with my peers.

I could kind of understand why parents of children in the 6-12 age bracket might be concerned about their child's development if they're still watching shows aimed at preschoolers. But I don't think banning SS is the answer - maybe figuring out why they still watch it would be a better idea. And once you get past your teenage years, I think the idea of being "too old" for a TV show becomes obsolete - at that point, it just means you're being nostalgic and/or getting in touch with your "inner child". Or it could just mean that you appreciate how they used to make SS enjoyable for adults as well. :big_grin:

I don't know exactly when or why I stopped watching SS. I don't think I ever specifically made a point to stop watching kids' shows, but I think it might have been a subconscious thing. It may have also had to do with the fact that the show was changing too much for liking.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Absolutely!

Well looking back I really wish I'd thought to keep track of SS after I went to school, at least taping the episodes. I would love to see what I missed! Though I wouldn't watch the current show now.
Yeah, there are a lot of things that I wished I had kept tracked with after all there years! Ive always watched the show when ever I can, but I've seen ever season sense I first started watching. There's something about it that just get you hooked, haha! I still wonder some of the things I may have missed about the show.

It's not so much that I've really had to discuss the show in detail with classmates and things, but I have no problem admitting to still watching it, though. But I noticed that no matter how old anybody got, where ever they would run across it it would always bring a smile to every one's face and people always go "Hey Big Bid!" or something like that! But it almost impossible not to like. But i know a lot of people with little brothers and sisters who watch the show and really enjoy it, but they always go "Well, I...I have a little sister and I was watching it with her. LOL! But I recall in middle school people talking about people talking about certain things that they like and still love about the show. I remember in Sunday school and people my age in talking about how much they loved a recent street story or how cool that though the addition or Ruthy and Finders keepers was or something, LOL!:smile:

Son of Enik

Reaction score
Still in touch with my Inner Child

My parents never thought I outgrew Sesame Street or anything else I've held on to all these years (Disney, Sid & Marty Krofft...) because they realized very early on that I've always remained true to what I love.
I've never been one to follow trends or fads and have always maintained a sense of individuality, which is why I believe I never had alot friends growing up...but the ones I had, I've held on to just like the things in life that make me happy.
I became a father 3 months ago, but I was watching before my daughter was born. SS is and always will be my favorite TV show ever.
I never outgrew SS, and I never will.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I know what you mean. I've always stayed true to what I love and who I was, something that Sesame Street teaches. I've never really got caught up in trends of fads either, and I've always been a loner and have been happy being so. I've veer really had to mane friends, but I've never really thought about it to much. But their are friend that I know wish that I had kept in contact with and kept a hold of, you never really know life's unexpected surprises sometimes. But sometimes you just have to keep going and see everything that live has to offer.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Honestly, I never had a problem with liking the Muppets as I got older. No one seemed to mind that. Though I did get a lot of grief for liking Star Trek (pure ignorance! Lol)

From my experience, it's good to be really into something like TV shows. Good TV shows are a true art form and can give you a bit of much needed happiness. As long as it doesn't interfere with your life. Most good art forms (including the Muppets) are about having friends, doing your best, helping others and pursuing your dreams. But you can't do that if you're constantly in front of the TV.

I've always thought that's what The Labyrinth was about. Sarah's whole life was about the stories and characters she loved. Eventually she realized she needed to grow up and learn what's important in life (like her brother). Of course, as we see, that doesn't mean she has to completely give up her childhood dreams. As she says, "Every now and again in my life, for no reason at all, I really do need you." :smile:

abiraniriba

Reaction score
never 2 old

My obsession with the Muppets in general is a constant source of tension between my wife and myself. SS's numerous adult references allow parents to watch the show with their kids, which is something the show was designed for in the first place. I can't wait for the Labyrinth sequel and the Dark Crystal sequel. I also wonder if SS is going to make anymore movies with scenes from Grouchland.

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
I think part of the reason I never "outgrew" Sesame Street is that I always considered the characters my friends. I may not have needed the curriculum after a while, but you never outgrow your friends.