Favorite Bert and Ernie Sketch

Ziffel

Reaction score
SesameMike said:
ERNIE: There you are/go, Bert. Do you want mustard on it?

I think Bert just stared at the camera in disbelief. Did Ernie do his "ke-he-he" laugh at the end? Or was still in this-is-perfectly-normal mode.
Bert said, "I don't get it." Then he stared at the sandwich in disbelief. And Ernie was still in his "this is perfectly normal" mode and didn't keeheehee for us. I remember the ending music too but hard to describe. It was seven beats. dih dih DIH dih dih DIH dih.
And great line about the mustard. I had forgotten that part. Had Bert have said, "Yes" then I guess another puff of smoke would have occurred!

Ziffel

Reaction score
I know Ernie and Bert are friends and not brothers (eg. "My ol' buddy Bert"), but there's one skit from about 1971 or 1972 where Bert is in bed sick and Ernie comes in and tells him that he heard someone in the neighborhood is sick. Ernie is so clueless to Bert's obvious signs of sickness and he reads a book describing how to identify sick symptoms (like high fever and coughing). Bert keeps trying to tell Ernie that he's the one not feeling well. Finally when Bert can't quite muster the energy to reach for the juice by his bedside, he asks Ernie to get it for him. When Ernie snaps at Bert, "What's the matter with you anyway?! You've been acting strange all day, what is it?!" Bert spells it out clear as a bell that HE is the one who is sick. Ernie seems to finally get it, but then shows more thick-headedness by saying, "Oh, then you caught it. You must know who it is that's sick, Bert. Who is it, Bert? Who is it?" And poor Bert just lies there and moans weakly.
Well anyway, in this skit I could have sworn at one point Bert says, "Oh boy. Some brother!" Anyone recall Bert saying that? It was in the middle of the skit when Bert was trying to tell Ernie he was the one who was sick and when Ernie was still looking at that book and completely clueless.

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
Ziffel said:
Well anyway, in this skit I could have sworn at one point Bert says, "Oh boy. Some brother!" Anyone recall Bert saying that?
He actually says "Oh brother" (a common interjection back then).

Ziffel

Reaction score
Yeah I thought about that possibility and it makes sense. It's just that I could have sworn Bert said the word "some" before brother, instead of "oh". But I may be wrong. I'd be curious to see what others who have seen this skit, like Xerus, Sesame Mike, fuzzygobo, mikebennidict, and GeeBee recall regarding this line.

Xerus

Reaction score
Ziffel said:
Yeah I thought about that possibility and it makes sense. It's just that I could have sworn Bert said the word "some" before brother, instead of "oh". But I may be wrong. I'd be curious to see what others who have seen this skit, like Xerus, Sesame Mike, fuzzygobo, mikebennidict, and GeeBee recall regarding this line.
I don't remember that skit too well. But I don't think Ernie and Bert are brothers. For Bert's brother Bart came to visit and Ernie had never met Bart before.

Ziffel

Reaction score
Oh yes you are exactly right, Xerus. And then you have the numerous times Ernie refers to Bert as his "ol buddy Bert". Plus the time when Ernie asks Bert to share his cookie with him he says, "That's what friends are for". I definitely don't think they are brothers. I just wondered if anyone else recalled that one line in the "Bert is sick" skit that I thought Bert said, "Some brother!".

Censored

Reaction score
Ziffel said:
Oh yes you are exactly right, Xerus. And then you have the numerous times Ernie refers to Bert as his "ol buddy Bert". Plus the time when Ernie asks Bert to share his cookie with him he says, "That's what friends are for". I definitely don't think they are brothers. I just wondered if anyone else recalled that one line in the "Bert is sick" skit that I thought Bert said, "Some brother!".

I thought he said "some brother" too and I've wondered about it as well. "Oh, brother" would have certainly fit better, but it didn't sound that way to me. Maybe it sounded like something it wasn't because Bert was supposed to have a cold and sounded congested. :stick_out_tongue: :frown:

Ziffel

Reaction score
Yeah the cold altering his voice is another possibility. :smile: Someday if we get to see this on dvd, PBS, etc. we'll get to try and re-decipher it.

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
Bert said "Oh brother" after Ernie said "Let's see" while looking in his book, so the pronunciation of the "s" in "see" followed by the "oh" would sound like the word "some" to the average listener.

Gonzo14

Reaction score
this isn't a Bert and Ernie Sketch, but I liked the scene where Ernie was holding a Paper Bag, and Cookie Monsters said that he hoped there was a cookie in the bag, then Ernie said "it is not a cookie" and Cookie put his head down in dissapointment, then Ernie said "it is infact 10 cookies" and dumped them out. Cookie Monster jumped up and started eating. Ernie then said "or now it's 9 cookies, 8 cookies, etc.)