Favorite Bert and Ernie Sketch

Dantecat

Reaction score
I have that skit.But what year was it and why did the E&B picture fell off at the end of the skit?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Some of my favorite ernie and bert moments include;

the sketch where ernie takes berts nose off and puts it on a clay sculpture of bert.

the sketch where ernie wears socks on his ears.

the sketches where ernie and bert go to egypt and to the jungle.

I also like many of ernies skits without bert, like do de rubber duck, rubber duckie, his appearance in miami mice, imagine that, best friend blues and the sketch where lefty sells him an invisible ice cream cone.

Ziffel

Reaction score
SesameMike said:
Ernie was counting a stack of cups and saucers. Bert was all nervous about it because they were fragile.

When Ernie is about to count them one time, an edgy B asks E to hurry up with the count. Then, in a what-am-I-saying moment, B changes his mind and tells E to count them "slowly and carefully".

At the end, Ernie is showing off by holding the stack of cups and saucers in the air and waving it around. Bert almost goes into conniptions, till Ernie lets on that he glued them together! Can't remember Bert's facial expression there, but it wasn't pretty.
Well you've done it once again SesameMike, thanks! It comes back to me now. Boy the cups and saucers were really lost from my memory. No telling how long it would have taken to think of that one on my own.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
i wonder if this skit might of caused somr trouble where kids were trying the same thing that Ernie did and perhaps were't as sucessful with it?

Ziffel

Reaction score
Yeah heh heh earlier when I was reading about this skit, I was thinking well that's fine and good that Ernie had them glued together so he could wave them around and they wouldn't all fall and break, but suppose the glue isn't strong enough to keep those big dishes together? Now let kids at home imitate this trick and use Elmer's glue instead of super glue and we've got a problem here!

tutter_fan

Reaction score
Here are a few of my favorite sketches

1. Banana in ear (Of course)
  2. Counting sheep
  3. Hey, lamp, that's a nice shade!
  4. BERT!
  5. Things that rhyme with "oom"
  6. HERE FISHY, FISHY, FISHY!!!!!
Man, all those skits were hilarious!

Ziffel

Reaction score
tutter_fan said:
Here are a few of my favorite sketches

[*]BERT!
Which one was this? Was it some kind of song Ernie sang to/about Bert? Or was it Ernie shouting Bert's name? Quite a bit of times, of course, Bert would yell, "Ernieeeeee!" Let's see, what were some times Ernie yelled "Bert!". When Sherlock Hemlock figured out Bert was covered up in sand underneath his hat, Ernie exclaimed, "Bert!". And when Herry was holding the sign that said, "No" and told Ernie, 'I'll bet I can make you say 'no'." Ernie says, "No you can't." Herry laughs and says, "You said 'no'! You said 'NO you can't." And Ernie tries that trick on his ol' buddy Bert. But Bert's response is, "I doubt it, Ernie, but go ahead and try." Ernie doesn't know how to proceed and Bert then turns the tables on him and says "I'll bet I could make you say 'no'." Ernie says, "Oh no you couldn't." And Bert laughs and Ernie repeatedly says, "No Bert!" with Bert laughing that Ernie says 'no' again and again. That was one of the few times Bert ended up with the upper hand so probably not too many other times Ernie shouted "Bert!" in frustration.
But having said all this, my guess is you meant a song by Ernie. That's okay, though. I thoroughly enjoy going over some more of these skits anyway!
Oh and Ernie shouted, "Bert!" a couple of times at the end of that skit where the house floods and Ernie empties out water one glass at a time. But he was under water so the shouting was barely audible. But we did get a great muffled "Ernieeeee!" from Bert!

Ziffel

Reaction score
Just thinking a bit about the Ernie and Bert sketch where they blow a fuse. I remember seeing this one in the VERY early days of SS, so I'm guessing it is from 1969,1970, or 1971. Also, it was pretty much devoid of any humor wasn't it? As I recall the skit, Ernie is watching television and Bert keeps calling his name. I think Bert was telling Ernie he had been watching tv for too long a period but Ernie wouldn't budge. Then they engage in turning on other electrical devices to drown out the noise of the previous item. Until the fuse blows. Then they are in the dark and I think we only see four eyes (with Bert's two being higher in the air, of course. :smile: ). Bert tells Ernie to turn off all the things they turned on while he goes and tries to fix the fuse. So we see Ernie feeling his way around to the items and he turns them off. Then when he's finished the lights come back on and Bert reenters the room. Bert and Ernie apologize to each other and the sketch ends (with no music) with them talking about how glad they worked things out and it's a lesson for future reference.
So it looks like here SS was basically teaching about the cooperation theme. And maybe also how sometimes it takes things like a power failure in life to bring people (or muppets!) to their senses. It was also the first time I ever heard about fuses and power failures, so I guess there was that educational aspect too (though nowadays probably would be less a factor).
Pretty rare for an E&B skit to not have humor but there was that one where Ernie was crying and Bert comforted him.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
i wouldn't say it was devoided of any humor. Bert turns on the Record and Enie Turns on the radio now Bert can't hear his record and he turns on the mixer. don't know what it was doing in the living room. whatching the SSU shows on Noggin i learned it was only in Season 1 where Ernie wore that other shirt and i think the walls of the apartment were a different color. it just crossed my mind it sounded like Ernice was watching a western or something because I could of sworn it was gunfire comming from the TV.

Ziffel

Reaction score
Yeah the apartment did look a little different and I think Ernie was watching tv at almost the very right end of the screen. So the skit is probably indeed from 1969 or 1970 at the latest. And if Ernie was watching a western that's pretty funny how often tv shows back in the 60's always seemed to have westerns on whenever someone would turn on the channel. "Green Acres" did this a lot! Anytime Arnold the Pig or Eb or anyone turned on the tube, the screen showed a bunch of cowboys riding horses fast and the typical western music playing. (Course, in "Green Acres" they often had jokes about how far behind the times the town of Hooterville was so the westerns may have also served that purpose).