1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Favorite Bert and Ernie Sketch

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by Buck-Beaver, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Mickey Moose

Mickey Moose New Member

Ernie also tried to take Bert's bowling ball into the bathtub with him(but Bert won't let him). Ernie's explanation was "you never know who might show up wanting to borrow a bowling ball". After the lights went out and it started raining, the AM showed up saying there was a bowling tournament and just as Ernie asks Bert, Bert sighs and says "I'll go get the bowling ball".
  2. Motown Mike

Motown Mike New Member

I recall one that took place at Hooper's store. For some reason, Ernie is manning the soda fountain, and Bert comes in and orders a plain glass of water. Ernie tries to sell him on a chocolate soda instead, but Bert refuses...so Ernie brings out the water, then asks him if he wouldn't like just a little chocolate syrup in it for flavor. Bert reluctantly agrees, and Ernie proceeds to suggest a new addition each time (ice cream, whipped cream, a cherry) until Bert is, indeed, holding a chocolate soda at the end.
  3. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

I remember the shoe dropping sketch. In fact, I thought of it last night when I took some shoes off the clothesline. I don't believe he said who that was though. I guess that's left to our imaginations.
  4. tutter_fan

tutter_fan Well-Known Member

Man, that skit was hilarious! I remember that one well! :p
  5. aaronmojo

aaronmojo Member

You guys have brought back some great memories. I just want to add that any sketch involving either character losing his nose was always hilarious to my five or six year old self. But I think the "Ride 'em cowboy, Bert!" sketch was my favorite... Did anyone else have the storybook based on that sketch?
  6. Xerus

Xerus Active Member

Actually, the skit went like this. Ernie was minding Hooper's store and he made Bert a plain glass of unflavored soda water. Ernie took a sip of it and told Bert that it was too dull. Bert said he likes it dull. But Ernie kept putting stuff like strawberry syrup, ice cream, and whipped cream in it making Bert frustrated. Ernie said, "I created an ice cream soda!" and Bert said he hates ice cream sodas. Ernie said he would drink the ice cream soda for Bert, but Bert asks what will he drink. Ernie gave him a plain glass of unflavored soda water.
  7. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

Don't think this was mentioned here but I remember seeing this in the 70s where Bert's taking a bath and Ernie drags the piano in and eventually other people come in and start singing songs. Matter of fact if anyone here has ever oened the B&E sing along LP, or have heard selections of it on MC radio, some of the songs from the album were taken off from the show.

Can't remember the whole thing since that was so long ago.
  8. tutter_fan

tutter_fan Well-Known Member

Anyone remember the one where ernie starts a game by saying "I one the sand box", and bert says "I two the sand box", and they keep alternating like this: (I hope no one's posted this yet, but it's similar to the Ten-Q skit)

[ Ernie and Bert finish watching a cartoon on TV about the number 10. ]

Ernie

(singing along) One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, niiiiiine, ten! Oh, that counting stuff, Bert, y'know, that counting stuff reminds me of a great game I know. Wanna play a little game?

Bert

Aw, no. Not another one of your meatball games, Ernie. No thanks.

Ernie

Oh, no, no, Bert. This is not a meatball game.

Bert

No?

Ernie

I promise, this is not a meatball game.

Bert

No tricks?

Ernie

No tricks. No, no.

Bert

All right.

Ernie

It goes like this, see. I say, I one the sandbox.

Bert

Yeah?

Ernie

And then you say, I two the sandbox.

Bert

Yeah...

Ernie

And then I say, I three the sandbox. And so on and so forth, and on and on and on and on and on, and on, like that. Wanna play?

Bert

Nah, it's stupid.

Ernie

No, no. It's not stupid.

Bert

Oh, all right.

Ernie

Okay. Goes like this. I was walking down the street the other day, and I saw a sandbox.

Bert

Huh.

Ernie

I one the sandbox.

Bert

Mm.

Ernie

Now you.

Bert

Oh, now. Okay. I two the sandbox.

Ernie

I three the sandbox.

Bert

I four the sandbox?

Ernie

I five the sandbox...

Bert

I six the sandbox!

Ernie

I seven the sandbox!

Bert

I eight the sandbox!

Ernie

You ate the sandbox?

[ Ernie laughs and puts his arm around Bert's shoulder. ]

Ernie

How'd it taste, Bert?

Bert

Aww, no...

[ Ernie laughs. ]

I just wanna say that I hope the owner of the Tough Pigs website doesn't mind me copying the lines of this script off their tough pigs website. I think it's gotta be the funniest skit I've ever seen with E&B!
  9. Mickey Moose

Mickey Moose New Member

If memory serves me correctly, they had just watched one of the Jazzy Spies cartoons.
  10. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

Yes. It was the 8 cartoon of course.
  11. Rubber Duckie

Rubber Duckie New Member

For me, it's the one where The Count sleeps over at Ernie and Bert's.
  12. Cookie fan

Cookie fan New Member

Ernie counts sheep, fire engines and balloon

That personally is one of the best Ernie and Bert clips. The funniest thing is hearing Bert screaming. Frank Oz is a brilliant muppeteer.
  13. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

14. Soul H

Soul H New Member

Another Ernie and Bert sketch that always cracks me up, is when they go to Egypt to explore a pyramid. The best part was when Ernie said and I quote:

Bert, the statu...the...the sta...the sta...the sta...the sta...atue just talked to be Bert!

I still fall to the floor laughing over that when I see that clip. :p :(
  15. CMarsala

CMarsala New Member

You're right, Ziffel. The sketch originally aired with Bert saying "some brother you are." On future airings it was changed to "oh, brother" (look at Bert's extra mouth movements and you'll see) apparently because they later decided that Ernie and Bert should be roommates, but not brothers.
  16. ISNorden

ISNorden Active Member

Way back in Episode 8, the still-nameless monster uses his pronouns correctly: "I always like to eat bacon and X!"
  17. Canadian Fan

Canadian Fan Member

Bert & Ernie are my favorite Sesame Street characters. It's so hard to pick a favorite sketch because there's so many of them.

:p:(

I think my favorite one from the Henson/Oz era would be the one where the Count sleeps over, it's so funny when Ernie looks like a zombie.

From the Whitmire/Oz era, it's the one where Bert won't dance with the monsters. Love Bert's line at the end 'That never happened'.

And finally, from the Whitmire/Jacobson era it's the one where Ernie can't sleep and starts to play his bugle and drums. Bert's reactions are hilarious.
  18. clutch123

clutch123 New Member

I have a few Bert and Ernie clips to share that I thought were really good:

1) Bert's favorite number is six (6) - a wonderful song about six by Bert.

2) The sound of dripping water at night:

Bert: '18 .... 19 ..... 20 .... Boy, those exercises are great, Ernie, I'm gonna turn the light off now though.'

Ernie: 'OK, Bert.'

Bert: (yawns) 'OK, Ernie ... G'night now sleep tight..'

Ernie: 'G'night Bert ... sweet dreams.'

Bert: 'OK...g'night.'

(Sound of water dripping)

Bert: 'Hey uh...Hey Ern....Ernie?'

Ernie: 'What?'

Bert: 'You uh, hear that? Sounds like water dripping, you know?'

Ernie: 'Is that right? Yeah, it does sound like water dripping. I must've left the faucet on a little bit when I washed my hands ... that's all, Bert .. g'night.'

Bert: 'Hey Ernie, I can't sleep with the sound of water dripping.'

Ernie: 'You can't?'

Bert: 'No.'

Ernie: 'Gee.'

Bert: 'Well, would you do me a favor and do something about the sound of that water dripping?'

Ernie: 'Sure, Bert. Anything for you. I don't mind at all. Ol' Ernie will take care of it alright.' (Ernie gets out of bed)

Bert: 'Good.'

(Radio blasts which causes Bert to jerk out of bed)

Bert: 'Ernie! Ernie what is that?'

Ernie: 'That's the radio, Bert.'

Bert: 'Ernie, the radio?!'
    Ernie: 'Yeah, well you said you couldn't sleep with the sound of that water dripping, well, this way you can't hear that old faucet hardly at all, can you, Bert? Keeheehee.'

Bert: 'No, I can't hear the water dripping anymore .. but I can hear the radio and you know what, Ernie? I can't sleep with the sound of that radio either it's so loud! Ernie! Aww..come on!'

Ernie: 'Well don't worry about it, Bert, I mean 'ol Ernie will take care of that too. I'll do that for you, Bert.'

Bert: 'Alright!'

(Ernie turns the vacuum cleaner on which causes Bert to jerk out of bed again)

Bert: 'Ernie! Ern...what're you doing? Why'd you turn the vacuum cleaner on?!'

Ernie: 'What's that Bert? I can't hear you!'

Bert: 'I said, why'd you turn the vacuum cleaner ooooonnnnn?!!!!!'

Ernie: 'Well you said you couldn't sleep with the sound of the radio, well this way, you can't hear that radio hardly at all!!!!!!'

Bert: 'All right. All right ... Ernie, stay where you are .. stay where you are, don't move.'

Ernie: 'OK Bert! G'niiiiiiight!!!!!'
    Bert: 'First, I'm gonna get this vaccum cleaner. There. I'm gonna shut this radio off now! I'm gonna ... Ok, I shut the radio off, now I'm gonna get the water .. There ... OK .... Alright, now we can finally get some sleep with some nice peace and quiet (Bert gets into bed) *mutters* Boy, this is ridculous.'

(Ernie snores)

Bert: 'Ernie? Ernie you're snoring.'

(Ernie snores again)

Bert: 'Ernie!! *sigh* It's not fair, it's just not fair.'

Anybody remember these?
  19. ISNorden

ISNorden Active Member

The neighbor's name was Harold 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10; he taught music (not arithmetic. as the guy chatting with the mailman assumed at first). When the sketch first aired, that remark was a segue into an abstract musical animation about counting to ten.
  20. ISNorden

ISNorden Active Member

I'm guessing that Cookie Monster was evolving into a more childlike character--the equivalent of 2-3 years old, with speech patterns to match. (Kids that young do have trouble with pronouns!) His behavior is also more monster-like than that of the friendlier talking monsters on Sesame Street; that may have inspired Frank Oz to keep Cookie's grammar primitive.