Favorite Bert and Ernie Sketch

ssetta

Reaction score
Actually, that sketch you're thinking of is a bit different than that. He comes out with socks on his ears, and asks Bert to guess what he's thinking of, and of course, he says "ears," and he's right, the answer is EARS! And then he puts a sock on his nose, and he asks Bert to guess what he's thinking of that starts with N and is covered up, and he obviously says, "Nose," but the correct answer was actually "neck!"

mikebennidict

Reaction score
i wonder about some of those small photos we see? such as what skit was being done. especially that early 1 with Jim and frank working the 2.

Ziffel

Reaction score
There are SO MANY favorite Ernie and Bert skits. Hard to say with certainty what my one favorite one is. But one that is definitely WAY up there is the one where Ernie counts to ten and keeps starting over again at the slightest distraction. This skit just gets funnier and funnier as it goes along. Like when Ernie gets up to 7 then suddenly turns to Bert for no reason and says, " Did you say something, Bert?" And an alarmed Bert says, " No! Nothing Nothing!" Then Ernie says "Oh" and starts all over at one again. Then Ernie gets up to 9 and poor Bert is standing there holding his breath and motioning hysterically with his arms for Ernie to please say ten. SO FUNNY! After about ten seconds Ernie finally does say ten and Bert gasps for breath and says, "At last!" But then Ernie says, "And now I'm gonna say the alphabet. A..B..." ! And Bert screams, "Oh I can't STAND it!" Ernie replies, "Please Bert I'm trying to say the alphabet. A..B..C..D.." And meanwhile Bert is running wildly around the living room screaming and he bangs his head on a table four times!
Truly a hilarious classic. :smile:

Mickey Moose

Reaction score
Ziffel said:
There are SO MANY favorite Ernie and Bert skits. Hard to say with certainty what my one favorite one is. But one that is definitely WAY up there is the one where Ernie counts to ten and keeps starting over again at the slightest distraction. This skit just gets funnier and funnier as it goes along. Like when Ernie gets up to 7 then suddenly turns to Bert for no reason and says, " Did you say something, Bert?" And an alarmed Bert says, " No! Nothing Nothing!" Then Ernie says "Oh" and starts all over at one again. Then Ernie gets up to 9 and poor Bert is standing there holding his breath and motioning hysterically with his arms for Ernie to please say ten. SO FUNNY! After about ten seconds Ernie finally does say ten and Bert gasps for breath and says, "At last!" But then Ernie says, "And now I'm gonna say the alphabet. A..B..." ! And Bert screams, "Oh I can't STAND it!" Ernie replies, "Please Bert I'm trying to say the alphabet. A..B..C..D.." And meanwhile Bert is running wildly around the living room screaming and he bangs his head on a table four times!
Truly a hilarious classic. :smile:
Similar to this one, was the one where Ernie had written a story, and it turned out all he did was type out the alphabet. He was reading it to Bert, adding specific emotions along the way. For example, "Here comes the sad part Bert" and then cries as he reads. Bert of course is trying to tell Ernie that's just the alphabet, but Ernie is persistent. He's about to finish up and goes "W....X....Y" and then stops. Bert asks why he didn't finish reading it. Ernie replies, "Well then you won't read it for yourself. I don't want to spoil the ending for you".

ssetta

Reaction score
Mickey Moose said:
Similar to this one, was the one where Ernie had written a story, and it turned out all he did was type out the alphabet. He was reading it to Bert, adding specific emotions along the way. For example, "Here comes the sad part Bert" and then cries as he reads. Bert of course is trying to tell Ernie that's just the alphabet, but Ernie is persistent. He's about to finish up and goes "W....X....Y" and then stops. Bert asks why he didn't finish reading it. Ernie replies, "Well then you won't read it for yourself. I don't want to spoil the ending for you".
Believe it or not, there were 2 versions of this one as well. There was a version that was done during Season 1, and as usual, at the end, Bert got really grumpy at the end, and he was like, "Grrrr!!!" and then fainted. They re-did this skit sometime in the late 70s, and at the end, he just sighed. I guess they did this so that it wouldn't be as violent.

Ziffel

Reaction score
And that reminds me that were also two versions of the Ernie counting to ten skit! One had Bert banging his head on a table 4 times, as I mentioned earlier. The other cut the scene as soon as Bert's head touches the table the first time. Perhaps the reason was likewise because they felt the other version was a little too violent for the kiddies.

Censored

Reaction score
Ziffel said:
And that reminds me that were also two versions of the Ernie counting to ten skit! One had Bert banging his head on a table 4 times, as I mentioned earlier. The other cut the scene as soon as Bert's head touches the table the first time. Perhaps the reason was likewise because they felt the other version was a little too violent for the kiddies.

Also, after Bert finished banging his head, he ran straight into the camera, screaming.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
ssetta said:
Believe it or not, there were 2 versions of this one as well. There was a version that was done during Season 1, and as usual, at the end, Bert got really grumpy at the end, and he was like, "Grrrr!!!" and then fainted. They re-did this skit sometime in the late 70s, and at the end, he just sighed. I guess they did this so that it wouldn't be as violent.
i doubt that would of been the reason because there were more recent E&B skits that featured Bert fainting and yelling, including others older ones.

Censored

Reaction score
I hated to see that classic skit of the alphabet story redone. There really was no reason for it.