1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Favorite Bert and Ernie Sketch

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by Buck-Beaver, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Ziffel

Ziffel New Member

Yep, that was another good one. Ernie had played around with Cookie Monster for a while saying, "Maybe there's a cookie in here. Or maybe it's a box of crayons. Or maybe it's thumbtacks."
  2. Ziffel

Ziffel New Member

Thanks Boober_Gorg. I didn't think that there would have been a gaffe in this one skit because earlier in the same skit when Ernie tells Bert he just heard that someone in the neighborhood is sick, Bert responds, "Oh well whatdaya know. Who do you think it is Ernie ol' pal?"
  3. Mickey Moose

Mickey Moose New Member

I have this clip, and it's kinda weird to hear Cookie use the word "I" instead of "me" when referring to himself. I guess it was early in the character's development.
  4. PiLfan

PiLfan Member

not to quibble, because it's not like it affected me or anything (or maybe it did...i'll have to go back and check my first grade report card)...but i was wondering if ss characters should use such improper grammar as often as cookie did. while kids are learning various things from these programs, one of them is (or should be) proper speech.

ahh, on second thought, to heck with it....cookie is dang more entertaining when he says stuff like "Me no eat letter of day!"

he just wouldn't be the same if he got all professor-like and serious on us....(alistair cookie being the notable exception of course :D )
  5. Mickey Moose

Mickey Moose New Member

It's an arguable point. Sesame Street was meant to be an educational tool. Had the character been developed today, he probably never would have developed his bad grammar.

Now that I think about it, I wonder what prompted Frank to start using the improper grammar for Cookie. Did he just slip up one day and decided it seemed to work for the character and kept it? Or did someone else suggest it? It'd be an interesting question to ask him.
  6. Ziffel

Ziffel New Member

I thought of Bert chasing Ernie around the apartment but couldn't recall which skit he did this in. But I found it here way back in this thread where you guys mentioned it here. Yeah, this was a good one that I also haven't seen in so long. I love how after Ernie says he needs the gum because, "You give the gum to the bear. And he's so busy chewing he can't bite you" Bert says, "That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard!" The way he said it was so great. It was rather slow paced and he emphasized the words dumbest and ever (That is the DUMBEST thing I have EVER heard!).
    By the way, regarding the ending scene where Bert goes "Ahhhhh!" and chases Ernie. As far as I can remember this is the only skit where Bert chases after Ernie. Is this the case or does anyone else recall another time when Bert did that. I know Bert ran around the room wildly in the "Ernie counts to ten" skit, but he did not run at Ernie. Ernie continued to stand there and say the alphabet as if oblivious to Bert's screaming and running around the apartment.
  7. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

Ernie Pouring Milk Upside Down.

I think I saw a remake of this in 1 of the more recent seasons but E&B originally did this in the 1st season. Ernie says he can pour milk upside down and bert says ''no way!'' but Ernie does it.
  8. Ziffel

Ziffel New Member

I thought of one skit that Bert wasn't really in, except that he was mentioned and was supposed to be offscreen in the bedroom. Ernie calls the doctor (they were still doing house calls in the early 70's) because Bert has an upset stomach. But when the doctor gets there he keeps examining Ernie (in the living room). Ernie keeps trying to stop him and get him to come to treat Bert, but the doc persists. Finally the doctor says, "Ernie, you're in fine shape, why did you call me?" I think Ernie says, "What?" in disbelief at the question. And the doctor repeats the question. Ernie says, "I called you because my friend Bert has a tummy ache! Come right this way." And they walk offscreen towards the bedroom and we hear the doctor say, "Okay, Bert. Open your mouth." (pretty hilarious finish to a pretty funny skit. If Bert has a tummy ache why is he asking to look in his mouth!)
    The doctor was a muppet, definitely voiced by Jerry Nelson. If I remember correctly, he was blue and looked a lot like Simon Soundman.
  9. abiraniriba

abiraniriba New Member

My favorite ernie & Bert Sketch

I guess I would have to say my favorite Ernie & Bert sketch is the one where Ernie has a piece of string tied to his finger and Bert asks him what it's for. Ernie tells him it's to remind him of something. Bert asks him what it reminds him of. Ernie says its to remind him that there's a string tied around this finger. The skecth goes on like that through all 10 of Ernie's fingers until finally at the last finger Bert is exasperated (as usual) but asks Ernie the question anyway and Ernie says its to remind him that we're all out of string. :(
  10. Ziffel

Ziffel New Member

Another one of my big time favorite Ernie and Bert skits was the checkers one. But not the one that I've seen mentioned fairly often in the forum (where Bert plays checkers with Bernice the pigeon. That was a cute idea too) but where Bert is reading a book and Ernie comes up behind him and shouts, "Hi Bert it's time for our checker game!". Bert is startled and goes, "Ah! Ah! Ah!". When Bert tells Ernie he didn't know he was here, Ernie then wonders if maybe he really isn't here. After some funny and ridiculous things from Ernie, Bert finally solves the problem by telling Ernie to look in a mirror. Bert says, "Look at this, now what do you see?" Ernie: "Well that's the mirror, Bert." Bert: "No I mean look INSIDE and tell me what you see!"
    Ernie finally realizes that he must be here. Bert resumes reading that book. Ernie then scares him all over again by coming up behind him shouting, "Hi Bert it's time for our checker game!". And Bert does the hilarious "Ah! Ah! Ah!" again. Then Frank Oz REALLY cracked me up the way he made Bert say, "Ernie, we CANNOT play checkers!" Ernie says, "Why not ol' buddy Bert, I'm here." Bert retorts, "Yeah Ernie, you're here you're here you're here. But I'm NOT!" And he storms out of the house and slams the door. (Hopefully he still had his book in his hand so he could then go to a booth in Mr. Hooper's store and read it while drinking a refreshing milkshake!)
  11. Ziffel

Ziffel New Member

In that popular classic movie theater sketch with the lady with the tall hat, I know Ernie, as usual, was pretty dense in it (When the lady sits in front of him and he can't see, his ideas to resolve the problem are to switch seats with Bert (but then Bert wouldn't be able to see!) and sit on Bert's lap! - that was hilarious!) But that lady was also quite dense, eh? To bring such a tall hat to the theater not realizing it would block people's view. And to move her hat next to her not realizing that it is now blocking Bert's view. And even at the very beginning of the skit, we hear her say, "Excuse me please, I'm so sorry..." and then see her sit in front of Ernie. So she had already disturbed at least one other person/muppet's view and yet sits right in front of Ernie thinking nothing! Actually, maybe even Bert was a little dense in this one too since he simply sits there sighing in frustration at the end. All he had to do was ask the lady to move her hat, as he had just advised Ernie to do. Or, he could have simply moved to another seat in the theater (unless EVERY single seat was filled. From my memory, we saw quite a few seats behind them occupied, but I don't think 100% of them were).
    Anyway, it was a great skit and is my favorite of the movie theater E&B sketches.
    By the way, I think Jerry Nelson must have did the voice for that lady, right?
  12. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

Ernie Dusts The Shelf.

I heard this clip played on MC radio yesterday so I assume their was a TV version of it as well. anyone remember it?
  13. maniacal muppet

maniacal muppet Active Member

my favorite is bert's blanket.Ernie is spending the night at the count's castle and bert expects a nice quiet night.In a matter of 5 seconds he hears music and sheep come marching in and start singing about where bert's blanket comes from. It is the best e.&b. sketch ever! Everyone must see it!:excited:
  14. ISNorden

ISNorden Active Member

I have a feeling that "Hey there, lamp! That's a nice shade!" was meant to be one long line which Bert expects his new "partner" to rhyme. Most of the lines Ernie and Bert exchange in the game had a similar rhythm, after all: "I don't want to play a game with rhymes!...Nice going, buddy; ring my chimes!" Even if I'm nitpicking about the rules, I still agree that Bert made a fool of himself when he expected the lamp to play along.
  15. GeeBee

GeeBee New Member

Well yes, that was exactly what Bert was trying to do. If you listen closely, after Bert says that line to the lamp, he then says, "You..." pointing to the lamp, expecting it to say its rhyming line.

It does seem pretty silly of Bert to expect a lamp to answer, but on the other hand, it's not like inanimate objects have never come to life on Sesame Street before. :)
  16. ISNorden

ISNorden Active Member

Most of my favorite Ernie & Bert skits include other Muppets along with you-know-who. For instance:

1. Ernie tries to teach his baby niece Ernestine to say "Ernie", but his efforts only make the baby upset (babbling angrily and throwing toys). At the end of the sketch, however, Ernestine surprises Bert by saying his name clearly.

2. Ernie and Bert invite the Count over for the night; the Count borrows Bert's bed, while Bert himself sleeps on the living-room couch. Ironically, the Count has trouble falling asleep that night: Ernie teaches his guest how to count sheep, hoping that it will help.

(Nitpick moment: The Count has already learned that technique and used it at home, according to earlier episodes. In fact, his flock of counting sheep eventually goes on strike! But I digress...)

Next morning, Bert asks how his guests slept. The Count feels energetic and refreshed, although he didn't actually sleep. Ernie, on the other hand, walks in with bags under his eyes as he counts in a monotone; if I recall correctly, he's reached some eight-digit number of sheep. Bert vows never to let the Count spend the night again; Ernie collapses after a few more numbers, ending the sketch.
  17. ISNorden

ISNorden Active Member

True enough, although that usually happens only when the object relates to the lesson being taught. Even if Ernie's rhyming game had involved household appliances (instead of spontaneous lines spoken by the players), the lamp probably wouldn't come to life unless other pairs of rhyming objects had done/were going to do the same.
  18. ISNorden

ISNorden Active Member

In my opinion, Cookie was supposed to talk like a child who'd barely mastered sentences (let alone pronoun forms). The producers probably thought that believable child-speech made Cookie Monster more believable than proper English...and that one such character wouldn't do any harm, as long as most of the others talked properly. Besides, there were plenty of humans (and Muppets!) who did speak normally on Sesame Street.

In the same vein, Electric Company's "Crank" character was allowed to keep his trademark use of "ain't"...in a show specifically meant to teach proper reading and writing. The show brought up Crank's usage only once in several years. Otherwise, the CTW writers apparently still believed that one character's bad grammar wouldn't spoil the educational value of the whole show.
  19. Bill Bubble Guy

Bill Bubble Guy Active Member

I loved the skit where Ernie recited the alphabet to Bert calling it a story he had written. But he wouldn't say the letter z and Bert questioned him he said He wouldn't tell him how the story ended because he wanted to encourage him to read it for himself.
  20. Bill Bubble Guy

Bill Bubble Guy Active Member

I also felt sorry for Bert when he decided he liked playing the rhyming Game at the last minute but Ernie bailed out on him.
    Course the big laugh is that while he wasn't interested in playing all Bert had to do was shut up and eventually Ernie would have gotten the hint and given up (well maybe with a ? You cannot truly be certain with old Ernie can you?)