The most tear-jerking Muppet moment...

Ol' Buddy Bert

Reaction score
Two years ago, I had just moved from my home town of 15 or so years. It was the first time, since college, that I decided to move away from my family and go forth into the unknown.

I never could have realized how hard it would be to leave my mom, dad, sister and so many good friends behind and start fresh and new in a place that was completely foreign to me.
Honestly, it was quite possibly one of the roughest period of times I have experienced in my life.

I listened to the muppets and songs from sesame street a lot. I think almost obsessively. I listened because the songs and sketches brought back to mind so many warm memories of my childhood...sitting on the couch, feet not even close to reaching the floor, eating macaroni and cheese with my in in the kitchen while I watched the muppets in one form or another.

The song "Saying Goodbye" held a particular place in my heart whenever I heard it because it was so applicable to what was happening in my heart: the sadness, the tentativeness...and the heartache. I think my heart broke a little more each time I heard Fozzie's voice in particular as he sang "wanna laugh, wanna cry...saying goodbye". If I wasn't in tears already, I was after I heard that memorable crack in his voice during those lines.

Yet, even though I felt sorrow in my heart, "Saying Goodbye" reminded me that still I had _real_ friends and the best family one could ever imagine back home...waiting for me, loving me and believing the best in me. I truly experienced their love during that time and it helped me to continue to take positive steps forward in a new and unexplored world.

So, all that to say, for me personally, "Saying Goodbye" is the most tear-jerking moment in the muppet cannon.

Scott

ps - At the same time, I think Ernie and Bert's friendship never had a finer moment than in their interpretation of the story "The Gift of the Magi" in "Christmas Eve on Sesame Street. " Their scenes were so well played and well acted, hitting all the right notes. That too has brought me to tears as I recall good friends just like Ernie and Bert who have been an intergral part of my life.

Okay...enough from me.

SuprGro78

Reaction score
Christmas on Sesame Street

When I was little I listened to the Sesame Street Christmas album a million times on my fisher price record player. Ever since then the song "have yourself a merry little chrismas" makes me cry. I always think of ernie and bert.

fluffmuppet

Reaction score
Nothing more of a tear-jerker for me when Gonzo's singing in the Muppet Movie, *I'm going to go back there*

I love that song soooo much!

~fluff~

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
Lots of good ones, but for me, it's the Muppets reading the letters kids sent to Kermit after Jim died (The Muppets Celebrate Jim Henson). Nothing sadder than that.

Foreignman

Reaction score
There are alot of tear-jerkers brought to us by the Muppets... The ones from different projects are:

TMM: Rainbow Connection (in beginning and end of movie), This looks familiar
MTM: Saying Goodbye, End Scene
MCC: When love is gone scene, The scene which shows life if Tiny Tim died, Thankful Heart (end song)
SesameStreet: I don't want to live on the moon, If moon was cookie, I believe in little things, Sing, the scene where they explain Mr. Hooper's death to Big Bird
there are more I'll think of later, but these are the basics for me...

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Originally posted by Ol' Buddy Bert & RadioNate:
I think my heart broke a little more each time I heard Fozzie's voice in particular as he sang "wanna laugh, wanna cry...saying goodbye". If I wasn't in tears already, I was after I heard that memorable crack in his voice during those lines.

DITTO THAT!

I also cried when I was at MuppetFest during the finale, just like with the movie and that pivotal moment when Kermit is talking to himself and reminds himself that he believes in his dream. The Muppet Movie is such a special, positive film...VERY inspirational. MuppetFest's Live Show (and the whole weekend for me) had that same inspirational feeling to it. I think about it and I get excited.

I love the Muppets.

Oh, the other thing that got me was in 1990 when I came home from school and my mom was sitting on the couch crying with a bag full of used tissues next to her and I asked her, "What's wrong?" and she said, "I can't tell you--I can't bring myself to say it?" I knew someone was dead, and a few seconds later the news came on to say Jim had passed away. THAT was the worst. That, and Schulz (Peanuts) are the two worst tear jerkers for me regarding my fave entertainment people.

F:frown:Z

Now I'm sad. THANKS!!

Ol' Buddy Bert

Reaction score
Not to get off subject but I remember that day quite well too.

I came home from high school that afternoon. I had known that Jim Henson was ill, I think from the night before, but still his death was quite a shock. I remember sitting on my couch rather numb. I don't want to sound melodramatic, I mean, Jim wasn't a member of my family but still...when his creations have left such an indelible impression on not just your life but your childhood, the years of innocence and wonder, it was very sad...and very unfortunate.

Scott

radionate

Reaction score
I too have that day etched into my memory. I had a paper route at the time, and when I brought the papers in the house to fold them, I looked down at the headlines and saw the news. I ran out to our pool and sobbed. Jim was my biggest childhood idol, and also my first childhood idol to pass away. More and more of them are gone with each passing year, but that one was the hardest.