GONZO the...um...

MrMoth

Reaction score
I think of Gonzo as an allegory of the outsider - the weirdo, the non conformer.
Taken to a literal level perhaps he can be considered an "alien".
I feel when Gonzo decided to stay with his friends in Muppets From Space, he made a statement regarding labels/generalisations. He refused to conform to any type of pigeonholing and embraced his status as a 'whatever' and strong enough to exist as a the outsider/freak amoungst those he loves rather than blend/fit in with those he looks like but does not know.
"Labels are for cans - thats the only use they have! I am strong enough to be different from everyone else and choose to stay with those I love" is perhaps the statement Gonzo is making in M.F.S. in my opinion :smile:

Interesting article Fozzie Bear, thanks for sharing it! :smile:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Great thoughts, MrMoth!! I like that, and it fits well with Gonzo's personality, too. I mean, why conform when you're willing to shoot yourself out of a cannon for fun?! :smile:

scarecroe

Reaction score
OverUnderAround said:
An official Henson comment written by Jim Lewis a few months back makes Gonzo a "Whatever" again. Seems some video archives of Jim Henson stating that "Gonzo will always be a whatever" sunk into the minds of those at the Hensons and the MHC and they decided to stick to Jim Henson's words.

According to what Jim Lewis wrote, they would prefer the fan base to accept that Gonzo just played the role of an alien in a movie, because he is listed again as officially a 'Whatever.' That way they stay true to Jim Henson's vision of the character.
Can you elaborate more about the Lewis quote? As in, where and when it was published? Thanks!

JustListen

Reaction score
Can you elaborate more about the Lewis quote? As in, where and when it was published? Thanks!
To elaborate, the movie they're talking about is Muppets from Space. In a nutshell, it's Gonzo's long lost alien brotheren who come to earth to reunite with their long lost brother. Its one of my all time favorite muppet movie because it shows a lonely side to Gonzo that you would expect from someone who is considered a 'whatever.' Its heartwarming while still upholding the rediculous humor of the muppets. But apparently it was all for farse...that makes Tutter sad...:cry:

Super Scooter

Reaction score
To elaborate, the movie they're talking about is Muppets from Space. In a nutshell, it's Gonzo's long lost alien brotheren who come to earth to reunite with their long lost brother. Its one of my all time favorite muppet movie because it shows a lonely side to Gonzo that you would expect from someone who is considered a 'whatever.' Its heartwarming while still upholding the rediculous humor of the muppets. But apparently it was all for farse...that makes Tutter sad...:cry:
I think he wanted the quote from Jim Lewis elaborated on, as I'm fairly 100 percent certain good ol' scarecroe has seen Muppets from Space.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
ET, ALF, Mac, Spaced Invaders, Me, and ... others...
And even animated aliens the Irken race. You know, I think that ALF--a Melmacian--and Zim--an Irken--are the only aliens to have their races be defined cheifly.

muppet baby

Reaction score
Thank you fozzie bear that is one of the best muppet articals that i have ever read ! I mean that. Gonzo has been one of my faverites out of my all time faverite Miss Piggy anyway , up until i had seen muppets from space and they told us that Gonzo was from outter space .

i kind of thought that all my life anyway keke :smile::insatiable:

wwfpooh

Reaction score
For me, Gonzo will always be a weird whatever.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Thank you fozzie bear that is one of the best muppet articals that i have ever read !
Glad you like it. Did you read the article: The Manah-Manah Phenomena?

You know, gang, I'm still considering Gonzo a Whatever because Jim Henson said he'd always be one (I think it was a demonstration reel that Jim, Frank, and Michael Frith were discussing Muppet characters in March 1990), and even though they said he's alien in the film, they didn't give him a species so he's still a Whatever!

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Glad you like it. Did you read the article: The Manah-Manah Phenomena?

You know, gang, I'm still considering Gonzo a Whatever because Jim Henson said he'd always be one (I think it was a demonstration reel that Jim, Frank, and Michael Frith were discussing Muppet characters in March 1990), and even though they said he's alien in the film, they didn't give him a species so he's still a Whatever!
For all we know, his species of alien IS a whatever!