Any news on the New Muppet Show?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I think a good place for a new Muppet Show would be Sunday night on ABC right before prime time. This is the slot that America's "Funniest" Home Videos occupies, but how many times can a guy getting hit in the crotch with a wiffel bat be funny - and do they need an entire hour for that? Sandwich the Muppets between a half hour of Home Videos and Extreme Home Makeover and they'll be a hit! :embarrassed:

pain

Reaction score
Although, that is kinda bad company, like you said, we are all tired of seeing AFHV. If they do put it in a slot like that, they need to do major advertising.

I also say nay to the basic TV thing, as most places near me do not have basic TV anymore. You either have cable, DTV, satelite or you watch DVD's

Teheheman

Reaction score
I think a good place for a new Muppet Show would be Sunday night on ABC right before prime time. This is the slot that America's "Funniest" Home Videos occupies, but how many times can a guy getting hit in the crotch with a wiffel bat be funny - and do they need an entire hour for that? Sandwich the Muppets between a half hour of Home Videos and Extreme Home Makeover and they'll be a hit! :embarrassed:
I'm sorry, but a man getting hit in the crotch with a ball bat will ALWAYS be funny. As long as it's not you, it will always be hysterically funny. Now, the new Muppet Show should be in either that spot or in the spot occupied by According to Jim. But then again, ABC has a tendency to move shows around when one becomes popular, they move it to a night that's NOT so popular, and then they decide they don't want the show, so they move it to 6 nights in 2 years to decline the audience and say "Well, it has no audience" Well no duh, you don't give it a fricken shot to. Or am I thinking of just about every network in general?

Daniel

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but didn't they already have that spot back in 96 or so, and it got clobbered by 60 minutes (the same thing that foiled Pinky and the Brain and Freakazoid's prime time run)?

And I agree. How long until the steam runs out on AFV? You'd think with Youtube, that the market for televised home videos would be gone completley.

Now, the new Muppet Show should be in either that spot or in the spot occupied by According to Jim. But then again, ABC has a tendency to move shows around when one becomes popular, they move it to a night that's NOT so popular, and then they decide they don't want the show, so they move it to 6 nights in 2 years to decline the audience and say "Well, it has no audience" Well no duh, you don't give it a fricken shot to. Or am I thinking of just about every network in general?
But then again, a lot of shows that have NO audience somehow stay on the air for years to come. Funny you mentioned According to Jim. Is there, or was there ever a call for that show? Does anyone even watch it? I mean, not only is it constantly being renewed, but it's in syndication too. There's nothing at all appealing about it, and it's the same ultra Macho guy crap that's just old stereotype territory.

And ABC... well, considering the spotty treatment they give their shows that aren't about Stars Dancing, people stranded on a desert island, bed hopping doctors, and unfunny comedians in routine family situations, even if a Muppet show were to air, we'd see 3 episodes run in succession, then it would disappear for months after sweeps week, and all the rest of the episodes will be run marathon style in the summer.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
But then again, a lot of shows that have NO audience somehow stay on the air for years to come.
Yea unfortunately the audience is not always listened to. We can't assume that if a show was cancelled, it must be because it had no audience. On the contrary sometimes! Or just because a show stays on the air, doesn't mean it's popular.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Actually, yes you can. The ONLY reasons shows are cancelled are because they aren't popular, aren't pulling in enough ratings and thus enough money. Money is what motivates show business, just like all other businesses.
Well the thing is sometimes one company buys material in order to get rid of that competition, even if it is bringing in ratings. That also has to do with business. So you can't assume a cancelled show wasn't popular, it's not black and white like that.

Teheheman

Reaction score
Well the thing is sometimes one company buys material in order to get rid of that competition, even if it is bringing in ratings. That also has to do with business. So you can't assume a cancelled show wasn't popular, it's not black and white like that.
Good point, look at Family Guy. It was canceled and brought back thanks to syndication ratings(Even beating out Leno and Letterman so I hear) and DVD sales. So, I think that if the Muppet Show DVD sales are strong, Disney should at least try to put the show in syndication to see if the ratings are good and if there's more of a demand for em, they should be able to make a new show knowing there's an audience.

Daniel

Drtooth

Reaction score
Family guy was ALSO brought back because they approached Seth Macfarline (or he approached them) to make American Dad. And they said, hey, wanna make more Family Guy?

I would say Muppet Show in syndication would work... IF syndication wasn't a festering pit of lowest common denominator, cheap to produce slop. I really miss sitcom reruns BEFORE 6 o'clock. When I was younger, I looked forward to staying home from school to see Perfect Strangers at noon. But now, it's Judge Generic and Maury Povich rotting like a corpse on TV with his staged paternity tests.

Only places I could think of that would run TMS would be ABCfamily (Since Disney Owns it), PBS (as part of their Britcom line up on Saturday nights.... Hey, it was made in Britian... it should count, and to some lesser extent TVLand.

But then again, ABC family is nothing more than a dumping ground of TGIF sitcoms and the immovable 700 Club (which I'd LOVE to put in its place, but don't want to get into the subject), and like 2 original shows that get into the top 20 every so often.

And TV Land only wants to air current shows/ What's the point of a retro network showing stuff that's STILL on the air, even though we got local syndication for that?

PBS would be the best bet, but no doubt some near sighted people would lump it in with Sesame Street.