Your Thoughts: The Muppets' Wizard of Oz

What did you think of The Muppets' Wizard of Oz?

• Oz was great

Votes: 57 23.0%
  • Oz was good

Votes: 92 37.1%
  • Oz was disappointing

Votes: 64 25.8%
  • Oz was awful

Votes: 35 14.1%

• Total voters

stephenjlizard

Reaction score
I also loved the sketch using Miss Piggy as Dorothy, but I can see why they avoided it for the movie. One of the hallmarks of Muppet TV and film is the interaction with live actors, and they needed a real person to anchor the surrounding characters.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I also loved the sketch using Miss Piggy as Dorothy, but I can see why they avoided it for the movie. One of the hallmarks of Muppet TV and film is the interaction with live actors, and they needed a real person to anchor the surrounding characters.
That's a good point, I think either way would have been cool (as long as they avoided the immature stuff the movie that was actually made had, heh).

Redsonga

Reaction score
It would have been, I think, because Miss. Piggy could have made the starring role more funny :smile:. If she had been Dorothy it could have started with her still being in the small town she first came from before Kermit and go from there, showing a tiny bit of her history (which seems to have gotten lost over the years :frown:)

Nick22

Reaction score
It would have been, I think, because Miss. Piggy could have made the starring role more funny :smile:. If she had been Dorothy it could have started with her still being in the small town she first came from before Kermit and go from there, showing a tiny bit of her history (which seems to have gotten lost over the years :frown:)
i agree. it would've been so much better is miss piggy was dorothy. ashanti did a good job, but i would've preferred miss piggy. who would've been the witches then? maybe bring back some old characters for the witches. like annie sue for one of the good witches.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
It would have been, I think, because Miss. Piggy could have made the starring role more funny . If she had been Dorothy it could have started with her still being in the small town she first came from before Kermit and go from there, showing a tiny bit of her history (which seems to have gotten lost over the years )
I must disagree, don't get me wrong I love Miss. Piggy and yeah maybe to some point she could of made the part of Dorothy more funny. But the part of Dorothy isn't suppose to be funny since she's all around a cast of funny characters. She's suppose to be the normal little girl that other little girls can relate to, in a crazy fanasty land. Also the keywords there is "little girl," though Miss. Piggy is ageless since The Muppet Show, she is still seen as a grown adult woman. Has anyone here seen that movie "The Wiz" one of the reasons I hate that movie is cause Diana Ross was in her 30s playing Dorothy, :mad:, how old would Auntie Em, like in her 90s.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
If they were to go for puppet casting for the lead they should have thrown everything up in the air and Muppetize the entire production. Cast Robin in the lead role and just call him Robin instead of Dorothy. So, the silver slippers would have to be silver flippers, but much more fun could be had and he's the only age appropriate character that can play the lead. It works.

Of course, that's if the lead was to be a Muppet and if Jerry or an adequate replacement was available. Piggy as Dorothy only works in short-subjects.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
If they were to go for puppet casting for the lead they should have thrown everything up in the air and Muppetize the entire production. Cast Robin in the lead role and just call him Robin instead of Dorothy. So, the silver slippers would have to be silver flippers, but much more fun could be had and he's the only age appropriate character that can play the lead. It works.

Of course, that's if the lead was to be a Muppet and if Jerry or an adequate replacement was available. Piggy as Dorothy only works in short-subjects.
Yeah excatly, Miss. Piggy playing the part of Dorothy for a little comedy skit totally works fine.

But Miss. Piggy is not only a grown woman, she's also a really stong grow woman, where as Dorothy is protrayed as a young and pretty helpless little girl. Since they wanted to make an made for TV movie that's can be somewhat close to the original having Miss. Piggy play the part would of been an awful idea, I mean who would buy Miss. Piggy being in trouble by an old witch hag, :confused:, the woman been known to bend metal bars, :mad:, she's far from helpless. I liked the idea of Miss. Piggy playing all four witches much much better, it plays with her mean side just as much her sweet side.

Nick22

Reaction score
Yeah excatly, Miss. Piggy playing the part of Dorothy for a little comedy skit totally works fine.

But Miss. Piggy is not only a grown woman, she's also a really stong grow woman, where as Dorothy is protrayed as a young and pretty helpless little girl. Since they wanted to make an made for TV movie that's can be somewhat close to the original having Miss. Piggy play the part would of been an awful idea, I mean who would buy Miss. Piggy being in trouble by an old witch hag, :confused:, the woman been known to bend metal bars, :mad:, she's far from helpless. I liked the idea of Miss. Piggy playing all four witches much much better, it plays with her mean side just as much her sweet side.
good point :smile:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well it would have to be a slightly more 'mature' adaptation of Wizard of Oz. Like in the musical The Wiz, Dorothy wasn't meant to be a little girl. So I think Piggy could work, it just wouldn't be an exact interpretation of the original story (which I think it perfectly fine). Miss Piggy may have bent bars in GMC, but she started out as sort of the underdog victim against the high society of models that wouldn't let her in.