Sketches and Songs on Sesame Street videos

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I thought that you already knew that it was a special video release of both videos. Otherwise I probably should have said something.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I was just wondering... We All Sing Together and Imagine That! both feature Cecille skits. Was the opening song included on those videos, or was the Cecille theme cut from either release?

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Hmm- I don't even remember exactly what the Cecile theme song was...from what I recall, no- I don't think it was included on either video. I think they just kind of jump into the song.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The Cecille theme was sung by Christopher Cerf (who also voiced Chrissy of Chrissy and the Alphabeats, and Bruce Stringbean of Born to Add). The lyrics went "She can bounce, she can roll, she can spin like a wheel...", and so on.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Okay- those lyrics sound a bit familiar...but sorry- I don't think I saw them on the videos in question.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Some thoughts on "3 Sesame Street stories"

Okay, well I just got through watching "3 Sesame Street Stories" this morning. It's been reviewed on here before, so I won't go into a lot of detail, but I thought I'd make a few comments. This video, along with the "5 Sesame Street Stories" video, has some key differences from the Start-to-Read video series. Those have still images of pages from storybooks and only have Caroll Spinney narrating, as well as doing voices for all characters.
The "3" and "5" Stories videos still have animated images- not quite a cartoon, but not quite a still image either. It's a bit similar to the Marvel superhero cartoon of the 1960s- Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, Sub-Mariner and Hulk (there were also Spider-Man and Fantastic Four cartoons, but the animation for those were a slight bit better)- for those familiar with those cartoons.
And the other thing is that, as far as I can tell, the original performers all voice their characters and that's cool. In one of the stories on the video, I got to see Little Bird show up as a main character, along with cameos from Biff and Sully, Roosevelt Franklin, Betty Lou and even Rodeo Rosie. I can't remember if I've seen her on the show before or not- if I have, it was when I was a kid...and it's been a long time since I've heard Rodeo Rosie's voice- so that was cool. Also, there was a character named Mrs. Washington, who I almost thought was Susan- but I'm pretty sure her last name is Robinson. Also, Big Bird would have addressed her as Susan, rather than Mrs. Washington. In fact, Mr. Hooper is pretty much the only human on Sesame Street Big Bird or any of the Muppets have ever really addressed by their proper title- so it's interesting that Big Bird refers to this character as Mrs. Washington instead of her first name.
Anyway, it's a fun video to watch that comes off like a cartoon version of Sesame Street!:smile:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
And the other thing is that, as far as I can tell, the original performers all voice their characters and that's cool. In one of the stories on the video, I got to see Little Bird show up as a main character, along with cameos from Biff and Sully, Roosevelt Franklin, Betty Lou and even Rodeo Rosie. I can't remember if I've seen her on the show before or not- if I have, it was when I was a kid...and it's been a long time since I've heard Rodeo Rosie's voice- so that was cool. Also, there was a character named Mrs. Washington, who I almost thought was Susan- but I'm pretty sure her last name is Robinson. Also, Big Bird would have addressed her as Susan, rather than Mrs. Washington. In fact, Mr. Hooper is pretty much the only human on Sesame Street Big Bird or any of the Muppets have ever really addressed by their proper title- so it's interesting that Big Bird refers to this character as Mrs. Washington instead of her first name.
I recently read at Muppet Wiki that she was called Susan in the book release, but the video changes her name. Same with Slimey in The City Mouse and the Country Mouse. I think Maria's name was also changed for the video of Big Bird Brings Spring to Sesame Street, though in that same video, Mr. MacIntosh was referred to by his actual name, instead of a made-up name.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
And now- a new review!

Here's a review of "Kids' Favorite Songs 2"- a 2001 Sesame Street Home Video with an approximate run time of about 45 minutes.

Plot- We start on the Street, where Mary and her lamb dart by. A Honker can be seen in the background. We jump to Elmo in the arbor area humming "Elmo's Song" and he mentions he's humming his favorite song- and explains that he has his video camera with him to record other kids' favorite songs. (Throughout the video, Elmo is asking kids for their favorite songs)
-A few kids are shown in a video stating their favorite songs, and the last one mentioned is "On Top of Spaghetti"...
This leads into Snuffy singing "On Top of Spaghetti" while enacting the song by eating the spaghetti and sneezing the meatball off and chasing after it.
Then Elmo asks a kid on the street his favorite song and he says he likes "Hey Diddle Diddle".
-Classic cartoon- purple turtle with banjo sings "Hey Diddle Diddle" (after the first time through, it's broken up with live kids singing the song, and then jumps back to the cartoon for the second time through.)
Back on the Street we briefly see a bird (who I think looks like the bird from the "divorce" News Flash) Elmo pops the question and kids answer with "The Bear Went Over the Mountain"
-This leads into video of Baby Bear going over a mountain as song is sung by off camera kids. At end of song, Baby Bear sees Snuffy running down the mountain, still chasing the meatball.
Next, Elmo asks for favorite active song- and "The Ants Go Marching" is chosen by kids.
-Cartoon - "The Ants Go Marching Song" by lady from Elmo's World "fill in the blank" Channel segments.
Elmo greets a pig briefly and then asks for happy songs. Kids of course name "If You're Happy and You Know It" (Some sing a variation- "If You're Silly and You Know It, Make a Funny Face":stick_out_tongue: )
-Song- Zoe and 2 kids sing "If You're Happy and You Know It" as Baby Bear comes up and tries to tell them about seeing Snuffy chase meatball on the mountain. As they keep singing and Baby Bear goes from sad to angry to tired, they change the song accordingly, and pretend to fall asleep at the end of the "tired" verse. Baby Bear laughs at this- and now he's happy, so they can sing the song proper. Baby Bear can't remember what he was going to tell them at the end of it- but then remembers when Snuffy goes by again, still chasing the meatball.
Elmo asks 2 kids for good sing-along song and they name "The Wheels on The Bus"
-Song - Lulu (a blue Muppet with red? hair, I think) teaches kids, Baby Bear, Elmo and Big Bird "The Wheels on The Bus" in Big Bird's nest and they all sing along for a verse.
Jump back to Elmo and kids who sing a few more verses.
Then Elmo asks for nursery rhymes.
Kids give their favorites.
-Cartoon - "Mother Goose Jamboree" (medley of nursery rhymes)- features cartoons that remind me of classic Warner Bros. Merrie Melodies animation.
Elmo asks for favorite animal songs
"Mary Had a Little Lamb" is named- and live kids sing it
-Song- Elmo sings "Mary Had a Little Lamb" as Mary and lamb enact song- red and blue Honkers are seen at school...at end of song, lamb sees Snuffy go by and follows him.
Elmo asks for more favorites and next one named is "Up and Down with Captain Brown"
-Classic cartoon- "Up and Down With Captain Brown" (featuring George Washington-like character going up and down a hill)
Elmo finds kid with a rubber duckie and mentions that Ernie loves rubber duckies and "Rubber Duckie" is his favorite song. Elmo and kid sing the song.
-Song- Ernie sings his classic "Rubber Duckie" (this is a new Steve Whitmire version, which is interlaced with live kids bathing)
On the Street, a Honker goes by reading a book and Elmo asks for favorite song to go to sleep with. Kids answer with lullabys.
Song- Rosita sings "Duermete" ( a Spanish lullaby) to put Baby Natasha to sleep for her nap. Snuffy and lamb go by at end of song and wake Natasha up.
Elmo and 2 kids are singing "Row Row Your Boat" and Elmo wants to sing it in a round. Then he shows a video to explain a round song.
- Classic Cartoon- Purple turtle from "Hey Diddle Diddle" cartoon and listens to his 3 nephews sing a "round" song for him- "Come Follow Me to the Redwood Tree"
Back to Elmo and kids singing "Row Row Your Boat" as a round.
-Song- cartoon lady from Elmo's World "Fill in the blank" Channel segments sings "Itsy Bitsy Spider" (This cuts to live kids singing it at one point- and then jumps back to the cartoon)
Elmo concludes that kids like lots of good songs and goes off to tell his friends about it. Snuffy comes by chasing meatball- Rosita and Baby Bear and lamb come by to ask about it. Snuffy says he lost it and goes home. Elmo rejoins the group then in front of Hooper's Store. Suddenly, meatball starts rolling toward Elmo, who stands petrified as Rosita, Baby Bear and lamb jump out of the way. Snuffy rushes in and pushes Elmo out of the way and crushes meatball with his foot. (Perhaps a "Raiders of the Lost Ark" reference?)
Elmo thanks Snuffy and his friends congratulate him on being a hero, but feel sad for him because his meatball got squashed. Elmo sings his favorite song to cheer him up-which is of course, "Elmo's Song". Elmo, Baby Bear, Rosita and Snuffy all take turns singing the song and personalizing it. Snuffy then asks someone to help wash the mush off his feet.
Ending credits roll with live kids singing their versions of "Elmo's Song".

AND- this video has a bonus! We get to see one of the then-new "Hero Guy" segments. Baby Bear is painting in the arbor area and is singing "I've Got Rhythm" (of which Fozzie Bear has none:embarrassed: )- and then he sings the Hero Guy theme song. Baby Bear's Hero Guy drawing comes to life as a cartoon and leads him in singing. Soon Telly comes by and asks to join in, and so he sings along with Baby Bear and Hero Guy as the end credits roll for this segment.

Okay-well, I wasn't expecting a whole lot out of this video, but I did enjoy it pretty well. It was fun seeing Sesame Street characters performing some of these classic kid's songs. I'm not sure if any of these songs were segments on the show or if they were performed just for this video. There were a few cartoons included and that was neat- I mainly loved the purple turtle songs- I used to love those 2 cartoons when I was younger. And "Up and Down with Captain Brown"- I remember seeing that one quite a bit too.
It was also nice seeing Snuffy playing a pretty big role in the video- and though you normally expect to see him paired with Big Bird, it was kinda fun to see him interacting with just Elmo, Rosita, and Baby Bear (though Big Bird does make an appearance in one of the songs- don't get me wrong- I love Big Bird and love seeing him with Snuffy too!)
I think I may actually have liked this video better than the first "Kids' Favorite Songs" volume, but it wasn't an overabundance of classic clips or anything. Still, there were a few classics here and there that were fun to see again.
:smile:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I am a bit confused about what you mena by a new Steve Whitmire recording of Rubber Duckie interlaced with footage of kids bathing. Were the Ernie scenes made for this video? I know that there was a new version of Rubber Duckie made for the show in season 30, but the original Jim Henson audio recording was used. There was also a film insert using Jim Henson's recording over footage of kids taking baths.