My Thoughts: Disney's Muppets

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah the message never actually says "be mean." But the mood kinda dictates what the movie seems to stand for.

I mean the movie Transformers claimed to have a good uplifting message. But I didn't feel it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah the message never actually says "be mean." But the mood kinda dictates what the movie seems to stand for.

I mean the movie Transformers claimed to have a good uplifting message. But I didn't feel it.

What do you mean Trasnformers didn't have an uplifting message? It did! Go out and buy Trasnformers toys. If that isn't an uplifting message I don't know what is. :insatiable:

Kidding of course. i didn't get to see it yet, and I think I'd rather see the TOEI animation 1980's film with Eric Idle and Orson Welles.

But anyway, Muppet Oz was the biggest embarassment. I could go on a bunch of Monday morning quarterbacking on the film, but it seemed that they had an okay idea, but failed at doing good in its execution. I really think that they should have done the reverse of what they did, Making Piggy Dorothy and having 4 "celebrities" the 4 Witches. I'da loved to see them cast Kristen Chennowith (sp?) as Glenda as an injoke to Wicked. And I feel Queen Latifah would have been a much better Wicked Witch than Auntie Em.

And I felt a lot of it was pretty vulgar. not as in adult, but juvenile. The nipple thing made me laugh when I saw the preview... but after that it just got disturbing. Then again, I watched it in the context of AFV, where absolutely nothing is funny. I can't blame Disney for them making the film (since the Script was picked up before the deal), but I do blame them for rushing it out, and trying to shove as many now references and celebirites as possible.

I liked Muppets from Space, and I still do, even after I found out it could have been a much better film. It's a shame that Columbia used to have such a good relationship with Henson... but it seemed like they wanted Kiddy fare (EIG, KSY), so that's no doubt why they decided to dumb the script down. Reason why MTI and MCC were better films (though I still say MCC is a snooze fest, due to the fact that the Muppets seemed like guest stars in their own film) is that Jerry Juhl was there, start to finish. And while those films had their weak points (Piggy was pretty much bookmarked into MTI out of a contractual obligation, and her entire role seemed added in last minute), they still felt whole. MFS seemed off, only because the original script was rewritten, and a Sesame Street Muppeteer had to rewrite some stuff. Still, I enjoyed it.

I think VMX was a good special, but it doesn't work as a film (due to NBC's involvement, wheter they added stuff in themselves, or the writers and Henson added stuff to make NBC want to release it). While it is dark, and the parody element is hit or miss (the Moulin Rouge thing worked... the Crock hunter/ Grinch movie send ups get tired after multiple viewings), it still had a great Muppety feel to it. Oz was awkard start to finish. As Ashanti couldn't act, the Muppets and her shared no chemestry. The parts with just the Muppets actually worked better. Adn I think Jeffery Tambor's Wizard was great, but the wizard could have used Bobo as an assistant (their chemestry in MFS was one of the bright spots of the film, IMO).

beaker

Reaction score
I hate making disparaging remarks against Muppet productions, but I agree...I can't think of one good thing to say about Muppets Wizard of Oz. I found it to be completely unwatchable...well, not unwatchable as say, the recent horror that was the last Elmo Christmas special, but still pretty unredeeming. I didnt feel any of the Muppet magic, and it felt more like the most unMuppety productions of all time.

Very Muppet Christmas while it may not feel like a full on Muppet film in theatres, and it was mired with perhaps too many cheap laugh parody references...I thought was quite classic and fun. AVMMCM
I feel is one of the best Muppet productions since Jim's passing.

Kermit Swamp Years...well, the Joe the Armadillo segments on the dvd make it worthwhile...but you know, I find KSY more watchable than MWOZ.

Muppets From Space was an incredible experience in my view.
I know some on here hated it, and in a way for us Muppet nerds it mirrored the Star Wars Episode One film for Star Wars nerds around the same time.

The first new film in 15 years, but it feels halfway through like a bit of a letdown.

But I tell you...as a lifelong Muppet fan, seeing Muppets From Space on opening day, walking into a cineplex and watching as the JHC logo came on...with the Muppets doing a big epic opening dance number, it gave me goosebumps of joy and awe. So the film has a little bit of a meltdown when it turns into a weird government conspiracy film.

But you would have had to seen it in theatres. I saw Muppets From Space when it came out in theatres(I think I was 5), and seeing the Muppets on the big screen is always such an amazing thrill.

My top 5 favorite Muppet productions are:frown:movies or specials)

Muppet Family Christmas
Muppets Take Manhattan
Muppets @ Walt Disney World
The Muppet Movie
The Jim Henson Hour behind the scenes

I believe Disney has it in them, if they allow some good writers who *know* Muppets, to make something right up there with those...or someday, surpass them.

Muppets are not kiddy/retro/nostalgia as people think, they are the past, present and future and will always be with us.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I hate making disparaging remarks against Muppet productions, but I agree...I can't think of one good thing to say about Muppets Wizard of Oz. I found it to be completely unwatchable...well, not unwatchable as say, the recent horror that was the last Elmo Christmas special, but still pretty unredeeming. I didnt feel any of the Muppet magic, and it felt more like the most unMuppety productions of all time.

Very Muppet Christmas while it may not feel like a full on Muppet film in theatres, and it was mired with perhaps too many cheap laugh parody references...I thought was quite classic and fun. AVMMCM
I feel is one of the best Muppet productions since Jim's passing.

Kermit Swamp Years...well, the Joe the Armadillo segments on the dvd make it worthwhile...but you know, I find KSY more watchable than MWOZ.

Muppets From Space was an incredible experience in my view.
I know some on here hated it, and in a way for us Muppet nerds it mirrored the Star Wars Episode One film for Star Wars nerds around the same time.

The first new film in 15 years, but it feels halfway through like a bit of a letdown.

But I tell you...as a lifelong Muppet fan, seeing Muppets From Space on opening day, walking into a cineplex and watching as the JHC logo came on...with the Muppets doing a big epic opening dance number, it gave me goosebumps of joy and awe. So the film has a little bit of a meltdown when it turns into a weird government conspiracy film.

But you would have had to seen it in theatres. I saw Muppets From Space when it came out in theatres(I think I was 5), and seeing the Muppets on the big screen is always such an amazing thrill.

My top 5 favorite Muppet productions are:frown:movies or specials)

Muppet Family Christmas
Muppets Take Manhattan
Muppets @ Walt Disney World
The Muppet Movie
The Jim Henson Hour behind the scenes

I believe Disney has it in them, if they allow some good writers who *know* Muppets, to make something right up there with those...or someday, surpass them.

Muppets are not kiddy/retro/nostalgia as people think, they are the past, present and future and will always be with us.
Well i think that right now they are proving that they can do good by the Muppets. WWW.Muppets.com anyone lol

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
It is good, but it is still missing that certain something to me:sympathy:
It's a good beginning with a lot of potential for growth. I do miss Rowlf and Scooter, but it does appear that they're trying to include some classics like Beaker and Swedish Chef! :hungry:

Drtooth

Reaction score
[

I really think you can see the Simpson writer influence in VMX and MOZ (if they did it). SOmething just seemed like it was their humor. VMX did a better job being muppety than OZ. Oz of course, was my least favorite of the muppet concepts to begin with- taking a classic story and retelling it with the Muppets being the secondary and minor characters (almost to the point where they just commented on the action, and seemed pasted in). I was opposed to it from the start. But then they tried to make it too hip for hipsters and 20 year olds only interrested in sex jokes. Plus the tie in with American Idol was the saddest thing I've ever seen. So conceptually it was off, and the execution was no better either.

unclematt

Reaction score
Its missing dogs and bears and chickens and things

Redsonga

Reaction score
You have just said what's on every TRUE Muppets fans mind :flirt:
I don't think anything makes someone more of a true muppet fan over anyone else :wink:. The fact that we all love the muppets in our own way should be enough:excited: