My Thoughts: Disney's Muppets

beaker

Reaction score
Well we're standing at the cusp of something interesting...

We now have a push before Four Muppet canon/universes/properties/etc, all with hope:

The Muppet Show: While Muppets.com relaunch, the upcoming comics, etc is enough to wet the whistle of diehards, all indications are that by this summer we'll get a huge bombshell or two of news that we've been waiting for for years...I's gots a feeling about this. Most likely by San Diego Comic Con. Could be a new show, film, etc. Who knows, but the iron seems ready to strike

Fraggle Rock: Aside from the Fraggle Rock big book, action figures and final season dvd boxset coming soon...given the Fraggle movie seems to still be in the works and there's a push to bring FR back into the public mind moreso than 2003's attempt...it looks like that for the first time in 20 years(1988, when FR was last huge) we truly could have a glorious Fraggly return

HA!(Henson Alternative): Im really liking how JHC has been developing their own stuff. They've given old and new Muppets from Muppet kids shows and misc. specials their own new edgy show with Puppet Up! they have the Del Kastle property(Late Night Buffet, Del's Comedy Binge), SUDS, Tinseltown, and others to come. If this attracks even a portion of the adult comedy audience out there, its a win win situation

Sesame Street: While the recent Elmo Christmas special was embarassingly awful, there's no doubt Sesame Street is as in the forefront in the mainstream as ever. All we need is a new film and other exciting stuff and we're set

So folks, thats four Muppet worlds marching forward.

AND, if Disney decides to revive Bear in the Big Blue House in any capacity, that would be 5 freaking Muppet worlds out there(not including the cancelled UK Mopatop or Hoobs series...and Animal Jam now lives on through Puppet Up)

That is something to be excited about. I can only imagine what the future brings.

Redsonga

Reaction score
It's funny I hated Muppet Wizard of Oz but loved Muppets in Space (although it was'nt as good as any of the older movies) :stick_out_tongue:.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Oddly, I really dislike Muppets in Space, but was surprised to see Muppets Wizard of Oz had its high points (though The Muppet Movie it was not hehe).

Redsonga

Reaction score
Oddly, I really dislike Muppets in Space, but was surprised to see Muppets Wizard of Oz had its high points (though The Muppet Movie it was not hehe).
Well, to each their own :smile: My favorite muppet movie is still Muppet Caper :excited:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well, to each their own :smile: My favorite muppet movie is still Muppet Caper :excited:
Yeah exactly! :wisdom:

My favorite has always been Muppets Take Manhattan, even though I know a lot of fans put it dead last, lol.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Yeah exactly! :wisdom:

My favorite has always been Muppets Take Manhattan, even though I know a lot of fans put it dead last, lol.
I think my least favorite is the Very Merry X-Mas movie, what they did to Miss Piggy just seems so wrong to me :eek:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah MFS is my least, but I'll put VMC next, too much cruel and jaded (and non adult) humor.

I'm all for the Muppets suriving, but I won't just accept anything.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Truth be told I saw "Muppets From Space" in the theater with a friend. First I felt nostalgic, then I felt irritated as the plot went nowhere, then I felt bad for my friend who'd come to see this turkey of a film with me, then I actually kinda cried because I felt it was such a terrible blunder that it could likely be the last nail in the Muppets' coffin...at least for a while. Then I got angry. I didn't know how the film could have turned out as it did. :confused:

There were many ways the story could have gone (Pigs in Space involvement, chicken planets, the actual ending of the film about the aliens being fans, actually going in space) but they seemed to pick none of them. The characters just kind of wandered around. I'm sure there would be more entertainment value watching them on a Costco security camera! Actually that could be fun, but I digress. There are some good scenes in the film and it still has the Muppety spirit and theme, but no real glue story wise and that's what it comes down to. The story is everything. :attitude:

I admit to watching the film on home video and it plays a lot better in an atmosphere where I can pause, skip chapters etc. I always heard rumors of the difficulties of the Henson Company working with Disney on "Treasure Island" and "Christmas Carol" but those films turned out much better. I wonder if it was more of a power struggle between director Brian Henson and Disney execs? Who knows? I do know that "Muppets From Space" just seemed empty to me. The characters looked good and were in top form but given nothing to do. :sleep:

That film is a reminder to me that maybe the Muppets are right where they belong with a company that is trying to figure them out and nurture the characters in the way that fans would like them to be treated. Just my thoughts.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I think doing nothing is a step up from the darkness of Very Merry but that is just me :smile: I babble, don't mind me :3

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I always been more in favor of giving the older pieces more exposure than they're getting, than feeling the need to have more when it's just not delivering. I'm not saying it never will, but I'm happy with what's come before.