The "Next Muppet on Family Guy" thread

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
but if I see one more Simpsons where Lisa spends the episode whining about how hard it is the be a precocious vegetarian Buddhist environmentalist artistic girl....l scream.
Well, it is hard. Trust me. :wink:

And I cannot stand Family Guy myself, certainly not enough to watch it for a stray Muppet reference. And trust me, when it comes to standing on a soapbox of self-righteousness, Brian of FG is much, much, much worse about it than Lisa.

Drtooth

Reaction score
And I cannot stand Family Guy myself, certainly not enough to watch it for a stray Muppet reference. And trust me, when it comes to standing on a soapbox of self-righteousness, Brian of FG is much, much, much worse about it than Lisa.
Yes... BUUUUUT unlike Lisa, Brian gets his butt kicked violently, and Quagmire keeps handing his tail to him. Not to mention everyone tells him to shut up half the time.

Personally, I like Haylee best. No matter whatever she says, who cares? She's such a ho it doesn't matter.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Which basically says "I don't watch the show, so i don't know what this guy's talking about."

She is. She boinked Stan Smith's boss once...they hinted at her boinking a CIA agent who was a human brain in a koala's body... and basically she talks all high and mighty and blasts her Dad's conservative values BUT she's no role model herself. But they pretty much slowly took the finger wagging out of the character. And ironically, Stan's closer to Haylee than he is his son, who actually buys his same xenophobic beliefs.

The difference between Brian and Haylee and Lisa Simpson IS that Brian and Haylee are both arrogant jerks about what they believe. And guess what... they get comeuppance sometimes. They get called out for being hypocritical. Lisa, now... again, I stress I loved the character when she was a smarter, deeper version of Bart (not above being a brat) and I always claim Moanin' Lisa Blues as one of my all time favorite episodes. But lately, she's little miss perfect, the writers treat her like she's the star, and I SWEAR they have a crush on her. They're like... you know, those fan fic guys who obsess over one character.

That and the fact they STILL find Cletus funny (the hick thing went out when Beverly Hillbillies got cancelled) is what bugs me. But I LOVED that Oscar episode.

So to answer you're question, they all suck compared to Futurama. Now Leela... SHE's the best.

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
How dare you accuse me of not watching American dad? That show is hilarious! And it's much better than FG because it actually does have a plot and its characters are actually somewhat likable.

As for Hayley not being a role model; to paraphrase Calvin's dad from a "Calvin and Hobbes" strip, "yeah, because we all know how funny good role models are, right?".

Anyway, I was just saying that it's sexist because women who have many partners are considered "hos" as you put it, but a man can be easy like Sunday morning, and it's considered acceptable (or even expected). The double standard just annoys me, that's all.

And Futurama is overrated. So there. :stick_out_tongue:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Anyway, I was just saying that it's sexist because women who have many partners are considered "hos" as you put it, but a man can be easy like Sunday morning, and it's considered acceptable (or even expected). The double standard just annoys me, that's all.
How can it be a double standard when I didn't say any MEN were man hos? I mean, Bullock... he's the biggest man ho around. He's probably had a million times the partners Haylee had. And Roger... I'm not going to even talk about Roger... wow...

On the FG Quagmire's a walking disease factory and a rapist. Man Ho doesn't even scratch the surface.

I really shouldn't have used the word ho, I was a loss for words, but I can't really put my finger on how to explain it. She's pretty immoral, she drinks illegally and she's been prone to drug use (again, not even a tenth as much as Roger... wow... i LOVE that Roger). I like the double standard she had in that episode where Stan was screaming his head off about Haylee's illegal pot use, then to have her turn around and praise the ban on trans fats.

The one twist I like that they gave Brian is that anytime he gets on a soap box, he has an ulterior motive. There was an episode where he became an animal rights activist because he hit a dog DRUNK DRIVING! Now, I really think potential to have some character call him out on that was wasted... but it was all a stunt because he was worried about his own mortality. That Excellence in Broadcasting episode (much as I have a problem with some of it) said what they SHOULD have said about him all along. He ONLY says what he says to sound like the smartest guy in the room.

Now, I do admit Lisa has a dark side, but it's rarely brought out. Of course, to be fair, it's the writing. There is no better way to explain what they did to the characters (all of them) than the fact a TV Trope term has been named after one of their characters.... Flanderization. Basically when a tiny part of the character (say Flanders's Christianity) becomes all what the character was about. And the truth is, I see that in every character. Homer's just a force of fat jokes and dumb jokes, Otto's a druggy... etc. I don't like some of those changes either, especially since I always felt Flanders's religion was basically a one off to show that he was just better off than the Simpsons. Now it's just an annoying stereotype. And Flanders WAS one of my favorite characters too.

mbmfrog

Reaction score
I have to admit that one Family guy Sketch where it was shown the "Secret Origin" of the Pig in space segment on the Muppet show, made me laugh out loud as I always thought that how it was happened.:smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Backtracking....

I got around to seeing the Christmas episode with Jim Henson and Kermit in the prison square with commentary... nothing significant was said. Which, in a way, is good. If the joke was explained, it would make sense... and that sort of joke should NEVER make sense.

Though, they did in length explain that legal couldn't get them clearance to make the universe boot up like an Apple computer....