In Development: Henson's Fraggle Rock Movie

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
It's no secret how I felt about the theatrical release of Muppets From Space. I could just hear nails pounding into the Muppet coffin while watching it in the theater. The audience simply didn't respond. Neither did I (until it hit home video - it plays much better that way). But I think the the problems with that pic had more to do with the creative force(s) than the studio. There were rumors of multiple directors and writers throught the filming process. That's never a good sign. Also, the movie really never took-off.

Well, the film had it's problems. Here's a quote from an interview with Brian Henson where he states what went wrong with Muppets From Space:
"Well, I think Muppets From Space suffered from two things. One, which was certainly our fault, was that the film was probably not as strong as it could have been. The script was not as focused as it could have been, and the tone of the film meandered a little bit. Second, removing musical numbers – in hindsight – was probably a bad idea. I would say there were flaws in the film, but we also got clobbered by a disconnect from inside of Sony, where the distribution department loved the Muppets – and the distribution department wanted to go out in summer, against the biggest films, and wanted to make a huge hit. Early on, I had said to them, "We're used to releasing Muppet movies in the off-season, not on the on-season. We've always done well that way." They said, "No, we're going to knock it out of the park. We're going to go summer, and do a big summer hit." That was the way distribution felt – marketing didn't feel that way at all, so marketing gave us a marketing plan that was smaller than the plans that we ever worked off of with Disney, and yet we were in a summer rush. There was no marketing.

When we opened the film, there was still only like less than half of the audience who even knew it was in theaters, which is kind-of catastrophic for any movie. That's a week-and-a-half of your business right there. The marketing didn't get to the audience at all. That's why those big summer movies spend an enormous amount of money – because they have to catch families who aren't watching television, who aren't on a regular routine... They're on a summer routine, so you've got to catch them on the way to the beach, you've got to catch them at the restaurants, you've got to catch them at the theme parks, you've got to catch them on their boating holidays – you've got to catch them every way you can. Basically, we didn't do that at all. They used an off-season marketing plan that was not going to work in the school holidays. We really suffered a disconnect over at Sony. Having said all that, the film had its problems, too. Definitely."
However, focusing back to Fraggle Rock -- the Fraggle Rock feature film does not have a distributor or co-producer lined up yet (and from what I've been told, an initial draft of a script for the film isn't even completed yet). Wikipedia, IMDB and other user-edited sites have been adding claims (often of Disney involvement) based on assumptions (often due on ignorant thinking that Disney own the Henson Co. now or that they bought the Fraggles with the Muppets). That's not to say Henson won't end up working with Disney, or Sony, or Warner Bros, or the Weinstein Co, or Fox, or Universal, or Odyssey Entertainment, or Dreamworks, or whoever. But no official deal has been signed yet. There is still a lot of business work that has to be done before production can really take off. It will hopefully all things will be ready for production to ramp up next year with release still in-line for 2009 -- although a lot of the "hold up" and focus right now comes from hammering out the script and developing a quality story.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I agree that summer was not a good time to release MFS. It probably would have done better in spring or autumn, but on the script's merit I don't think it would ever have done very well. There was quite a bit of marketing for it, (more than I remember MTI having) but it so easily got lost in the mix. :sympathy:

I actually think there are enough Fraggle fans of movie-going age that would make time to see a Fraggle film at any release date. But, if timed correctly, I can see it reaching number one at the box office its opening weekend. That would probably mean spring. And, of course, a good script. That's the one component missing. Jerry Juhl left some mighty big shoes. :cry:

Does anyone know if there was any present story-framework that Jerry had created in such a case as a new Fraggle project or was that all in the final episode? :excited:

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
There was a first draft of the script back last October.
Was that a complete script? I was under the impression that was just a treatment (or detailed story/plot/character outline). Last I heard (which was early last month), the script was still in heavy development.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Fraggle Film

or that they bought the Fraggles with the Muppets
Well, when TVS or whatever it was called went down in the UK, Disney supposedly picked up the distribution rights to the UK Fraggle franchise, hence why it airs sporadically on the UK's Boomerang.

IgorPonweed

Reaction score
Well, when TVS or whatever it was called went down in the UK, Disney supposedly picked up the distribution rights to the UK Fraggle franchise, hence why it airs sporadically on the UK's Boomerang.
Boomerang is Cartoon Network.

Luke

Reaction score
Just to add in, Fraggle is apparently doing VERY well on Boomerang in the UK. One of their top 5 shows from what i've heard, so looks like the kids are watching it!

Traveling Matt

Reaction score
Just to add in, Fraggle is apparently doing VERY well on Boomerang in the UK. One of their top 5 shows from what i've heard, so looks like the kids are watching it!
How great is it that today's kids are watching the show (and not courtesy of the DVDs)?

THE FRAGGLES ARE BACK!

Kids channel Boomerang brings back Jim Henson’s classic after a 10 year gap from British TV Screens.

The classic Jim Henson series Fraggle Rock will be seen on UK TV screens from 23rd July as Boomerang brings the hit show back. A favourite with kids all over the world since its launch in the 1980’s Fraggle Rock originally ran for 5 seasons and became a cult classic, spurning toys, fan clubs and a UK top 40 hit for the theme tune.

Fraggles are described as humanoid creatures, stand 22 inches tall and live together in a system of caves known as Fraggle Rock with a raft of other creatures. The show followed some key Fraggles including Red, Gobo, Mokey, Wembley and Boober as they laughed, played and saved their worries for another day! Generally care-free and happy souls, the Fraggles contrasted with the smaller but incredibly hard-working Doozers who, dressed up in their hard hats and construction gear, built numerous edible structures in the caves.

Surviving on a diet of radishes and constantly trying to avoid the Gorgs and their annoying son Junior the Fraggles enjoy their life at Fraggle Rock and sing constantly. Regular updates from Uncle Travelling Matt – who visits our world, or ‘Outta Space’ – and some timely advice from Madame Trash heap, mean the Fraggles are well informed and have something to offer all the family!

So, get yourself some tasty radishes, fluff up your tail, get your singing voice on and join Red, Gobo and friends from the 23rd July at 7.30pm on Boomerang. If you can’t wait until then, log on to www.boomerangtv.co.uk to learn the words to the legendary theme tune!

FRAGGLE ROCK

Co-created by Jim Henson and Jerry Juhl from the Jim Henson company and aired first on HBO and CBC in the US and Canada respectively. In all 96 episodes were made and the show was a global hit, winning numerous awards including an international Emmy. Fraggle Rock won cult status and has numerous celebrity followers. The theme tune became a Top 40 hit in the UK during the show’s initial run, and is consistently voted as a retro favourite. The show has been labelled as one of the best kids television shows ever made and join such other Henson classics as The Muppet Show and Sesame Street.

One of the most unusual Fraggle facts was that it was the first US television show to be aired in the former U.S.S.R.
http://www.europe.turnerinfo.com/BOOM/UK/pressreleases/10_07_07_1.jsp

Luke

Reaction score
Yea The Raccoons is also doing good business over on Boomerang UK. They really have brought back a few things you wouldn't have expected them to recently.