In Development: Henson's Fraggle Rock Movie

wwfpooh

Reaction score
The problem? Disney HAS ruined the works of other companies recently (Classic Media's Underdog), and so, does this mean another Henson property will get the short end of the perverbial [Doozer] stick? I hope not. :frown:

theprawncracker

Reaction score
The problem? Disney HAS ruined the works of other companies recently (Classic Media's Underdog), and so, does this mean another Henson property will get the short end of the perverbial [Doozer] stick? I hope not. :frown:
Why would Disney affect Henson's Fraggle movie? :confused: I don't think Henson has any plans of selling the Fraggles to Disney... so I don't see how Disney could affect the film. :smirk:

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Why would Disney affect Henson's Fraggle movie? :confused: I don't think Henson has any plans of selling the Fraggles to Disney... so I don't see how Disney could affect the film. :smirk:
When Disney bought out the Muppets, they also probably bought out the Fraggles too.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Nope. Still Henson.
Odd. Henson keeps the Fraggles, but yet, sells his most lucrative characters and the one he started the entire Henson legacy around to Disney, his main source of competition? What kind of backwards thinking was that? I mean, sure...we see the Muppets on DVDs and on small commercial snipets, but where is the spark of rejuvination to put the creations back on TV again?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Odd. Henson keeps the Fraggles, but yet, sells his most lucrative characters and the one he started the entire Henson legacy around to Disney, his main source of competition? What kind of backwards thinking was that? I mean, sure...we see the Muppets on DVDs and on small commercial snipets, but where is the spark of rejuvination to put the creations back on TV again?

Actually, I think it was on both parties. Disney only wanted TMS and Bear in the Big Blue house. I'm sure they would have taken the Sesame characters if offered, but that was sold back to Sesame Workshop. I don't think Disney had any interrest in purchasing Fraggles and things like Storyteller. So Henson kept them. Of course, with Hit working with Henson, they really have been doing a lot with the property lately.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
There is the web rumor (just a rumor) that Disney would be producing and distributing the Fraggle Rock Movie. I always felt it would be Sony or Fox. I don't think there's a lack of big studio interest in the movie.

Personally, I think Sony (Columbia Tri-Star) would be the best fit. I feel they would allow the most creative lattitude while injecting enough synergy in the project's products. Sony/Playstation has stores as does Disney. But the Mouse doesn't like to share his shelf space - not even with the Duck!

wwfpooh

Reaction score
the Mouse doesn't like to share his shelf space - not even with the Duck!
He shares it with a "willy nilly silly old" bear whose in hot water due to lawsuits, so what's wrong with Mick giving more room for other properties? ^_^ I mean, it's not as if the company didn't already do enough to dumb down and de-popularize his character via that "Clubhouse" drivel...:boo:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Personally, I think Sony (Columbia Tri-Star) would be the best fit. I feel they would allow the most creative lattitude while injecting enough synergy in the project's products. Sony/Playstation has stores as does Disney. But the Mouse doesn't like to share his shelf space - not even with the Duck!
Sony would seem like a good fit, but I'm still warey of how they handled MFS. But out of the other studios, they seem like the best choice.

And Mickey does share the shelf with movie characters from time to time. A limited time, sure, and it depends on the success of the film.

If it wasn't for Mickey's Clubhouse, you'd be more likely to find Cars, Princesses, Power Rangers, Buzz Lightyear, Pooh, and the "released from the Disney Vault" characters of the month than even the Mouse himself.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Sony would seem like a good fit, but I'm still warey of how they handled MFS. But out of the other studios, they seem like the best choice.

And Mickey does share the shelf with movie characters from time to time. A limited time, sure, and it depends on the success of the film.

If it wasn't for Mickey's Clubhouse, you'd be more likely to find Cars, Princesses, Power Rangers, Buzz Lightyear, Pooh, and the "released from the Disney Vault" characters of the month than even the Mouse himself.
It's no secret how I felt about the theatrical release of Muppets From Space. I could just hear nails pounding into the Muppet coffin while watching it in the theater. The audience simply didn't respond. Neither did I (until it hit home video - it plays much better that way). But I think the the problems with that pic had more to do with the creative force(s) than the studio. There were rumors of multiple directors and writers throught the filming process. That's never a good sign. Also, the movie really never took-off.

Anyway, back to Fraggles. Of all the studios, it appears to me that a Sony-driven picture would better allow freedoms and market to strengths than others like Disney that would arbitrarily try to stamp ideas into the picture to sell a product etc. :smirk:

About the Disney Store:
There's one several blocks from me. Since I met my partner the first week of January I have been trying to purchase a Donald Duck mug in the store. They simply didn't carry Donald mugs this year! Tinkerbell, Mickey, Pooh and others, but no Donald. And in their signature store (yes, I know they're privately owned and merely stocked through Disney).

I am informed that they rotate their character choices, but I finally had to turn to secondary markets for mugs. There are some very good vintage and a few new ones out on Ebay etc. I finally got all the mugs he could ever use. It's just frustrating to have money burning a hole in my pocket (set aside for Donald stuff) all year long and not having "the" Disney store respond to that need. I have found that Donald Duck is actually equally as and many times more popular than the Mouse. I enjoy Disney, but those stores, for a while now, only serve little purpose to those over 3 years of age. Off-topic Rant over. :zany:

I wonder if Disney backed the Fraggle movie if they would promote it in the store. They own the Muppets, but didn't promote Oz one bit. In fact, the staff hadn't even heard of the project. :cry: