What year did it all change for the worst?

BEAR

Reaction score
JLG said:
I admit it...I've always loved the "New Wave" characters like Zoe, Baby Bear and Rosita. In fact, I kind of wish they had been around earlier, since they fill a niche in SS's world that had been kind of empty before, methinks. (I'm not counting Elmo as a new-waver because he's been around for more than 20 years now. In fact, even Zoe and Baby Bear are getting up there in years, now.

What I think people really object to is not the characters themselves, but the material they're given these days. For most of the 90s the show's tone was pretty much the same as it had been, so having some "younger" characters around didn't make it seem toned down. Now the whole thing has been reimagined for a younger audience than before, so the writing holds less appeal for grown-ups in the room.

Thank you. That is an excellent point that I hope others will consider. I think that Rosita, Baby Bear and Zoe are all great characters! If they weren't, they would not have lasted so long.

LadyVader

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
That's never going to happen.

yes it could it would be like a spin off and i think it would be very popular

MJTaylor

Reaction score
That's never going to happen.
Well actually it has happened outside the US. Where I live, ABC nows show Elmo's World as a seprate programme. I understand the same thing happens in the UK. I have to say, I find Elmo's World now enjoyable as a show in its own right.

ISNorden

Reaction score
Elmo should get his own show and put SS back to where it was before he took it over.

"Elmo's World" already has become a spinoff in at least two countries; why won't Sesame Workshop give it the same treatment in the US? My guess is that they're afraid of losing money, viewers, or both.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I didn't know it was being show separately in other countries. That's interesting. Guess it's not impossible. Though that doesn't mean it will be done in the U.S., we tend to do our own thing on TV.

They might be afraid people would stop watching Sesame Street if they separated Elmo's World. And that could happen, and that does make me sad (and not just for myself). Barney was popular too, that doesn't mean I'd have my kids watch it.

Nothing against the character, I'd have no problem with Elmo staying on Sesame Street.

ISNorden

Reaction score
Heralde: if I remember correctly, one of the countries that made "Elmo's World" a spinoff is your homeland (Denmark); I've seen Danish versions of the show on YouTube. (Please accept my apology if I got your nationality wrong, though!)

P.S. I too have nothing against Elmo as a character; what I do mind is any one character getting his own 15+ minutes of guaranteed airtime every day. If Big Bird or Oscar got the same treatment, you can bet that old-school fans would start hating them too... :wink:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
P.S. I too have nothing against Elmo as a character; what I do mind is any one character getting his own 15+ minutes of guaranteed airtime every day. If Big Bird or Oscar got the same treatment, you can bet that old-school fans would start hating them too... :wink:
Yup exactly! (though I do think the adult humor back in the day was also beneficial to kids) And no I'm not from Denmark, not sure where you got that idea. But it's ok. :smile:

ISNorden

Reaction score
Yup exactly! (though I do think the adult humor back in the day was also beneficial to kids) And no I'm not from Denmark, not sure where you got that idea. But it's ok. :smile:
I had you confused with a Danish user who posts here often...my fault! But as far as the in-jokes for adults go, I agree that kids learned a thing or two from the jokes as well.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I had you confused with a Danish user who posts here often...my fault! But as far as the in-jokes for adults go, I agree that kids learned a thing or two from the jokes as well.
Yeah that's what I figured, no problem!

LincolnHeights

Reaction score
I'd have to say 1992 was the year it all changed for the worst. Once they got rid of the original opening they had been using since the premire episode in 1969, and got rid of the Electronic Chimes during the credits they had been using since 1972, it was a sign that Sesame Street as we knew it, was dead. After 1992 the show got more and more disapointing every year. JMO