What year did it all change for the worst?

SSLFan

Reaction score
2002(the format change) was the worst year. No doubt about it...

JLG

Reaction score
And with every year since 2002, it's been striking me how different the show feels. (Sorry, it's hard to find a better word than that) While they do still have a part of the show that I call "Miscellany Time" (the old format in miniature where a bunch of older material is shown rather randomly as in days of yore), the newer stuff is beginning to feel so different that it's unrecognizable. Hard to pinpoint it in concrete terms. The direction, the kind of humor, the sound mixing, the brighter colors on the set, the style of acting, the overall tone---everything, really. Plus, the newer animation is almost completely computerized, which exists in a totally different universe than drawn animation. And those new health-related segments tie into the "get organized" mentality that's been driving Sesame Street in recent years--the idea that things have to be more routine and focused because kids learn through consistency. Sort of a "school" feeling. The show never felt like that before, so that's a BIG change, to me.
All these changes may be subtle on their own but boy, do they add up. Put them together with the bigger changes everyone always talks about, especially older cast members being barely around anymore, and it's really a cold shower. This little place that we've all known so well since our days as infinks now has a completely different personality, and truth be told, it makes me kind of sad. I wish I could "go home" again, but the only way to do that is to watch old tapes. It's just weird when something that stayed the same for eons (especially by television standards---sheesh) completely overhauls itself in less than a decade.

Like, discombobulating, maaaann....:flirt:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It's just weird when something that stayed the same for eons (especially by television standards---sheesh) completely overhauls itself in less than a decade.
It's not so weird, entire stations have gone down hill in just a few short years.

JLG

Reaction score
What stations are you referring to?

superboober

Reaction score
Certainly Cartoon Network and the Disney Channel among others, both now in need of serious defibrilation.

JLG

Reaction score
Whoa, yeah.

Cartoon Network radically transformed itself in really just two years--2002 to 2004, I would say.

I never did grow up with the old Disney Channel ( :frown: ), so I can't compare the modern one to anything. All I know is, I've discovered that I'm not the only one who calls it "The Teeny-Bopper Network". :stick_out_tongue:

It's awful. I can feel my brain cells dying painfully whenever I watch it for a few minutes.

SSLFan

Reaction score
Certainly Cartoon Network and the Disney Channel among others, both now in need of serious defibrilation.
Agreed. Cartoon Network has gone downhill. All they show is that Anime crap. Compared to this and Nickelodeon, i'd say Disney is the only good kids channel left though.

roadrat15

Reaction score
Da rat speaketh . . . for me, the whole thing blew up when Kevin Clash took over the role of Elmo and was pushed to the front.Next thing we know, "'cute and cloying" are the the catchwords, and we are left with a red menace, a sibilant bear and a monster with an annoying laugh and a tutu.

SSLFan

Reaction score
Da rat speaketh . . . for me, the whole thing blew up when Kevin Clash took over the role of Elmo and was pushed to the front.Next thing we know, "'cute and cloying" are the the catchwords, and we are left with a red menace, a sibilant bear and a monster with an annoying laugh and a tutu.
Well, the new genaration of charcthers aren't so bad. It's just when they get overused, they start being annoying.:smirk: Of course I'm refering to Elmo, Zoe, Telly, and Baby Bear.:confused:

p.s., I think Kevin Clash sounds like a very nice guy. Has anyone ever met him? I would like to. I would love to meet ALL the Muppeteers!:crazy:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well, I agree it's mainly the overexposure. But I also have to agree that the characters have become just a little too cute and harmless, heh.