The Kev and Muley Thread

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
My friend that went down with me to the party to be cameraman and I agreed that Papa Roy looked better than people who are in their 50's, 60's, or 70's.

I wish I could get the real funny Papa Roy when he's not so reserved. You'd laugh and laugh!

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I'm working on plans for a future Muley comic book, themed for outer space travel.

I tend to lean more toward books that are able to move forward on their own without any parody or drawing on other companies' characters to garner any kind of interest in the book. Therefore, the original plan for the story is to keep 'guest stars' like Spock or Yoda out of it.

I have a friend who thinks it could be funny to include those characters along the way. Kind of like when folks were looking for E.T. in Ep 1 or 2 of the newer Star Wars trilogy.

What are all your thoughts about that?
Parody, or no?

I lean toward no.

Beauregard

Reaction score
It's your book, you lean the way you wanna lean! But I'd point out as a point of interest that the Muppets and Muppet Babies all did parody of Star Wars, and also that Star Wars is the kind of classic that it won't grow old.

But you do what you feel is right, mon ami.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
It's your book, you lean the way you wanna lean! But I'd point out as a point of interest that the Muppets and Muppet Babies all did parody of Star Wars, and also that Star Wars is the kind of classic that it won't grow old.

But you do what you feel is right, mon ami.
Frank Welkers Darth Vader quacks my up!:big_grin:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Do those parodies ever tend to distract you? (This question is open to anyone who wishes to share their opinion).

Beakerfan

Reaction score
Yes and no. The parodies DONT district me if:
1. The central characters are very well established and it is clear that the parody is more of a brief cameo/funny bit rather than an on-going character.
Exceptions: The parodies can be an on-going occurence, if it follows the basis/theme of the comic. This usually works best in political comics such as Doonesbury.

2.Parodies are common in the particular strip and/or occur on a regular basis. In other words, the main jist of the strip is random fun-poking and parodies (i.e. Bizarro)

They DO distract me if:
1. Too much emphasis is placed on the "guest" character. The comic needs to clearly remain about, say, Muley and his chance encounter with Spock, and not Spock and what he can or can't teach Muley.

2. More than one parodied character appears in the comic (unless they are a set). OR if the character appears multiple times. That is when the gag gets old and the surprise and hilarity of seeing a familiar character runs out.
Exceptions: I believe this rule can be broken if it is done repetitively in a single strip/story. What I mean by this is that if I had say Bob Hope, and wanted to give him multiple cameos in a movie, I would strategically place him throughout the movie doing the same thing over and over again - interrupting during a dramatic scene, carrying something and getting in everyone's way, or steal a page from "Spies like Us" and have him play golf in everyone's way.

Goodness that was long! Sorry about that, lol! (english student + love for comics = over-analyzing)

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Over-analyzing is a big help, though! It's perfect information.

Not as perfect as the world's best ever blueberry muffin, which I can't find one like anywhere in Memphis... (Man! I hope the museum invites me back again, I love Santa Rosa!)

Beakerfan

Reaction score
Lol! You came on like, the single most perfect weekend of the year, too! Lately it's been all hazy out from all the smoke in the air. 1700 fires will do that, you know. But it's starting to clear up, and Santa Rosa has been pretty much fire-free so far this year (YAY!). I will be sure to get you another blueberry muffin the next time you visit! :smile:

BTW, did you ever ask Jeannie about making the bench like you were talkin about? You know, with the Charlie Brown stripe 'n all?

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Over-analyzing is a big help, though! It's perfect information.

Not as perfect as the world's best ever blueberry muffin, which I can't find one like anywhere in Memphis... (Man! I hope the museum invites me back again, I love Santa Rosa!)
But you do and you can find the prefect rib.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
That is one thing Memphis does have going for it is the BBQ! I want some ribs and think I'm going to get some right now! YUM!

I think I'm going to consider the parodies as a bit of background things that folks might have to look for and not necessarily in-your-face so Muley and the gang remain the focus of the story.