Muppet Mockumentary Pilot Filmed

PBYJ

Reaction score
About a "new" Muppet Show

No offense, but I don't buy the vaudeville comment. TMS was a variety show, the vaudeville nuances were just that.

None of the networks really know what shows are going to be successful. They often bring their best efforts forward, even putting hefty marketing campaigns behind them. None of it means a show will definitely take-off.

Remember, the original Star Trek was a failure. The Muppets failed on SNL too. All three networks passed on the Muppet Show originally as well.

I spoke to Jerry Juhl about recreating a new TMS a couple of months before he passed away. Basically he said, all of the pieces that made the Muppet Show magic, thus successful, were a product of the people that came together and the time. It's not likely to ever happen again.

I'd like to think he was wrong. I know there's plenty of puppeteers out there, who feel differently in their hearts... Some are doing everything they can to make it happen, despite the odds and the cost out of their pockets. Some more successfully than others.

The Henson children gave it a nearly fifteeen year run, doing both some amazing and not-so-amazing things with the Muppets. I know initally they were consulting to Disney for several years. I've lost track of what the status of that relationship is currently...

Under Disney's stewardship, it won't be a matter of money. It'll boil down to a fusion of "corporate creativity". Dynamite producing, writing and really great performers, etc. that all make magic together.

That's a lot to overcome.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Can we just accept that the Muppets are done with on TV?
Unless you count everything that's happening with all the other branches... several shows in developement with Henson, a prime time major network Sesame Special.

But hey, at leat Disney gave space for a sitcom based on the Geico cavemen. Only quality entertainment from the people that green lighted "Rodney" staring an F-grade F-list celebrity.

rtgentry

Reaction score
Thats sad when more kids today know who the geico cavemen are better then they know kermit and gang.

I always joke with the younger crowd when I have my kermit out that NO he cannot save you a bunch of money on your car insurance ! HEs a frog not a geko.... It started when I had someone say HEY ITS GEICO!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, the cavemen bit, it was funny for a commercial... let's leave it at that.

But yeah, Disney doesn't seem like they want to do anything. They have a "top secret super hush hush project" that probably won't make it.

I really wish that Sesame Workshop and Genius entertainment could work out some plan to buy them back from Disney. At least we'd see Kermit on SS....

Marky

Reaction score
I think that it could work. It'd get the 24-40 demographic right off the bat - which is who they should aim a 'new Muppet Show' to. Not Children. Not the hip-hop based youth culture.

Watching the new Season Two set - it makes me realize just HOW good the original series was, and how something like that COULD work again.

Muppets Tonight, creatively, missed the mark a bit IMO. I think The Muppet Show could really work again.

It's all in how it written. It needs geniune humor, unpredictablity, and that magical mixture of irrverence and heart.

Naysayers... you're all wrong! LOL!

:stick_out_tongue:

RealMissPiggy

Reaction score
Im not holding my breath is all im saying! What happened to
"Americas next Muppet"?

sadly i think so much was still to come had jim henson still been here!

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Well with the writers stirk we will see more realaty T.V so this might happen.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
:eek: With the writer's strike we will likely see some passed over shows as mid-season replacements as long as they're already in post production. With the decline of television viewership, largely due to video games and the internet, I suspect that the writers will eventually get their due, but at the cost of future viewers. I know so many younger people that just don't watch TV, cable, DVDs or go to the movies. It's all YouTube, websites and video games.

Seeing that the Muppets are largely creatures of the television medium, I am concerned. They need to do something - anything - better with muppets.com. We know that Statler and Waldorf translate well to the web with their award winning (now passed) critiques on movies.com. :sleep: :boo: