Your Favorite Musicals

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Super Scooter said:
I always wanted to learn the paradox song. So much fun!
One part I think I've got down is the very last line of the song, "This particularly rapid and intelligable patter isn't generally heard and if it is it doesn't matter!" Oh man, brilliant!

One of my favorite lines is kinda random, when the police appear from the trees towards the end, "Yes we are! Though hitherto concealed!" Lol Though anything with the police is priceless!

SarahOnBway

Reaction score
On a random musical tangent, has anyone seen the movie version of Camelot? I haven't since I was a kid and it's on HBO now and lemme just say that it is one of the absolute worst things I have ever seen. It's the scene where Guienevere and Arthur meet and I have never seen two people act as badly as they're acting haha. And Richard Harris has PURPLE EYE SHADOW on!!!!!!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I personally love the movie, and that scene in the particular. I thought Arthur came across very sweet and interesting. The only problem for me in the movie was Lancelot, kinda hard to watch.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I saw Camelot once when I was a kid... I don't remember liking it too much.

On a movie musical note, I just bought Moulin Rouge yesterday. That's a great movie! I'm going to try and watch it today.

Skekayuk

Reaction score
Crazy-Animal,
In my experience of online Muppet fans (I've been on the Muppet fan forums since about 1996/7) quite a number of us are also keen on musicals.

I know I certainly am. Though I must say I tend to be more into watching out for particular performers rather than particular shows. And often I find my enjoyment of a particular show is partly influenced by the performances in it. I'm also kinda lucky in that my fondness for musicals coninsides very nicely with being a muppet-fan, as my favourite musical theatre performer just happens to also be my favourite muppeteer.

But you're question is about favourite shows. So here's five I rather like:

Annie Get Your Gun - I first saw this at The Prince Of Wales Theatre in 1992, when Kim Criswell was playing Annie Oakley. I have about a dozen different albums of the show (needless to say Kim Criswell's EMI classics one is my particular favourite)

Anything Goes - I fell in l;ove with this show thanks to two brilliant studio cast album recordings. The EMI Classics one conduced by John McGlinn, with Kim Criswell and Reno, and the JAY/TER one conducted by John Owen Edwards,with Louise Gold as Reno. For quite a long time I thought I wouldn't see that show on stage, because the recordings were too good. But then Kim Criswell starred in a production at Grange Park Opera, so I decided to go and see that.

Follies - I've seen two productions of this. The first was at Royal Festival Hall in 2002. At it starred: David Durham, Kathryn Evans, Louise Gold, and, Henry Goodman. The highlight was getting to watch Louise Gold's spectacular tap dancing in the song The Story of Lucy And Jessie (a number sometimes dropped from Follies). I loved that whole production so much, especially Henry and Louise's performances, that I felt I wouldn't want to see the show again. However, last year, I decided to go and see a production at The Royal And Derngate Theatre in Northampton, which starred: Julian Forsyth, Jan Hartley, Louise Plowright, and, Alex Gianni. They were jolly good.

Kiss Me Kate - I love the film of this so much I thought I wouldn't want to see it on stage. I had the EMI Classics studio cast album and really liked Kim Criswell and George Devorsky as Bianca and Lucentio on it. But I didn't think much of Joesphine Barstow and Thomas Hampson as Lilli/Kate and Fred/Petruchio on it. Actually I just felt no one could compare to Howard Keel's petruchio, let alone Kathryn Grayson's Kate. However in 1997, I decided to give the Regent's Park Open Air Theatre's production a try. .. Louise Gold was Lilli/Kate and well she more than matched Kathryn Grayson.

Six Pictures Of Lee Miller - I'm not usually all that into new musicals. But I think Jason Carr is a brilliant composer, up there with the good old fashioned ones. And I think this show is just the best example of his work. Living proof that they CAN still make 'em like that, sometimes.

Kiki

Reaction score
Kiki said:
'Ere's some of my fave musicals:
  • The Little Shop Of Horrors
  • The Producers
  • Grease
  • Mamma Mia
  • Singin' in the Rain
  • My Fair Lady
  • Wicked
  • The Rocky Horror Picture Show (Sadly one of my fave movies :embarrassed: :wink: )
  • The Boy From Oz (I've seen it Crazy-Animal and I rully enjoyed it. I see you're from Melbourne, like me, good stuff).
  • You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown
Heh, amazingly enough I forgot a few, some of my all-time faves:
  • Jesus Christ Superstar;
  • Kiss me Kate;
  • Hair (which I can relate to cause I'm a total hippie! ^^);
  • Mary Poppins.

Pork

Reaction score
I saw a small amature production of "Anything goes". I know it wasn't proffesional but I enjoyed it anyway.

Nick

Reaction score
I may have found one of my fave threads so far!

From what I have deduced, most of you are in your 20's... so Some of the musicals I mention, you may have not seen since I saw there original tours.

Annie
Evita
A Chorus Line
Hello Dolly (I was 14 when I saw it with Carol Channing! And it changed my life from that moment on!)

From then I became a stage door johnny, and got to know everyone from every touring company that came into Denver. Which was fortunate for me because in 1994 I got a job selling Merchandise for the tour of Miss Saigon, which then lead to a job in Joseph selling merch and finally a chorus part. That then put me into Les Miserables where I got to work with Ricky Martin on Broadway and with my friend from Denver Tamra Hayden (who played Cosette), I was also able to do the tour, and when that ended I joined the tour of Phantom of the Opera... again selling Merchandise, but I got to tour! Now I am back in college and getting a degree in Theatre and will now be focusing on Puppetry and performance!

Whew! Sorry I was so long winded.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I've seen both Annie and Hello, Dolly (sadly, only the movie versions). They're both fantastic! It's been such a long time since I've seen Hello, Dolly, though...

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Well, I'm an actor-type fella, so I've been in my share of musicals. Here are some of the ones I've been in, and the roles I played:

Cabaret - Cliff Bradshaw

How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying - J. Pierepont Finch

Guys & Dolls - Nathan Detroit

You're a Good Man Charlie Brown - Schroeder

Anything Goes - Sir Evelyn Oakleigh

Bye Bye Birdie - Albert Peterson

Hair - Claude

I do my share of "straight" plays and musicals. The last show I was in (to date) this past fall was Journey's End, definitely NOT a musical (!) set during WWI. I played Captain Dennis Stanhope, a bitter soldier who drinks heavily to control his nerves and maintain his sanity. A revival of the show just opened on Broadway.

Back on topic...

Here are some of the musicals I like, but haven't been in:

Chicago
The Rocky Horror Show
Little Shop of Horrors
Oklahoma!
Sweeney Todd