Reflections in Foam

Java

Reaction score
Chapter 14

Robin stood up and stretched as the group in the alley broke out in song while they took a break for a moment. After being interrupted by Forgetful Jones he had been unable to get back to Telly’s story and had been regaled with the brief and similar stories of how each animal – the cows, horses, frogs, ducks, pigs, chickens, and others – had realized they were different from their families and had wandered their way to Sesame Street learning that they were very entertaining and were needed to help children learn.

After listening to the animals the food took their turn, each describing a variety of different people who were amused as the food talked to them when picked up. Robin even recognized many of the names – Jim, Richard, Jerry, Dave, Fran, Kevin, Carroll, Steve, Alan, Maria, Bob, Eric, Frank, Louise, Kathryn, Karen, Bill, Brian – the list seemed to continue forever. Instead of eating the food, each piece was taught to sing and brought to the street.

“Healthy food!
Boy, it taste so good.
Me one healthy dude
'Cause me eat healthy food.
Me love it boiled or stewed,
Me love it whole or chewed.
You'd feel just great if you'd
Eat some healthy food!”

Scooter was very glad he didn’t have to hide his smile as the food took center stage on the picnic table for their chorus while the others each danced to their own beat around them. Cookie Monster was just as energetic with Elmo and Telly by his side singing the final verses.

“There broiled spring chicken,
Grapes ripe for picking,
And swordfish, tuna and trout.
And apple and cherry,
And all kinds of berry,
And broccoli and Brussel sprout!

There lettuce, tomato,
Boiled new potato,
There spinach and celery and beet.
Milk and honey and cheese,
Peanuts, peppers, and peas,
Pears and peaches and cream of wheat!

Healthy food!
Boy, it taste so good.
Me one healthy dude
'Cause me eat healthy food.
Me love it boiled or stewed,
Me love it whole or chewed.
You'd feel just great if you'd
Eat some healthy food!”

Alan and the rest of the adults brought each person a plate from Hooper’s Store to be able to enjoy lunch and the tales of those still waiting to share how they had made it to Sesame Street.

“Now Telly,” Robin said before taking a bite of his peanut butter and gnat sandwich, “are you ready to tell me your story?”

“I will never forget it. I was so scared.”

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *​
The red haired boy stood at the corner lamp post wringing his hands together, muttering to himself, and carefully looking first down the street towards Mr. Hooper’s Store and then back around the corner towards the subway. Slowly he leaned out trying to get glimpses further down the street.

“Excuse me,” Kermit said almost at a whisper so that he wouldn’t scare him more than he already was. “Can I help you find someone?”

Telly eyed the frog slowly, his feet inching closer to the edge of the sidewalk as he drew his arms in closer together.

“Please, don’t move closer to the road. I really don’t want you to get hurt.”

Still staring at Kermit, Telly rushed to the telephone pole, almost seeming to want to hide behind it.

“I know that you have been told not to talk to strangers,” Kermit said without moving closer to him “but your teacher introduced you all to me this morning. Remember?”

Kermit watched as Telly’s brow furrowed in concentration as he thought back to when his class had arrived for their field trip and nodded.

“Do you remember that your teacher said you could tell me if you needed any help?”

Nodding vigorously Telly whispered, “I’m scared.”

“Why are you scared?”

“I stopped here to look at this flower in the sidewalk and when I stood back up my class was gone. And I don’t know where they could be!”

Kermit put his arm around Telly as he began to cry and exclaim “And now I’ll never get home to my mommy and I won’t see my friends anymore and something bad might happen to me!”

“There now, I know it’s very scary to feel like that. Can you listen for a moment while I ask you a question?” The sobs slowed to only a sniffle as Telly looked carefully at Kermit and waited for him to continue. “Where was your class going to when you stopped to look at that flower?”

“Ms. Gina said something about it being time to eat lunch.”

“Well then, I think we should walk down to Mr. Hooper’s Store as your class was going to eat there today.”

Kermit smiled as they made it to Hooper’s and saw the look of relief on Telly’s face when he saw all of his friends around them. His smile grew ever wider as Telly told everyone who would listen about how scared he was and who had helped him.

“So, as we were getting back on the bus, Kermit came to me and told me how proud he was of me for being brave enough to admit to my friends how scared and worried I was. He asked me if I wanted to help others learn that it was okay to be scared and worried.”

“So that’s when you told him yes?” Robin interrupted, amazed at how his uncle always seemed to know just the right thing to say.

“Yes, and I was even more excited when he told me I could be the monster I am today.”

“Why did you want to be a monster?”

“Because then I wouldn’t have to be scared of them anymore.”

“Elmo thinks that is a very good reason to be a monster.”

“How about you Elmo?” Robin flipped the page in the notebook, ready for a new story, “how did you make it to Sesame Street?”

It was hard to tell who was more surprised when Elmo’s cherry face fell into a frown and he began to sniffle. Robin’s eyes grew wide as he started to look around at the adults behind him, wondering what he could have said wrong to Elmo. Maria took charge, walking over and kneeling beside Elmo, carefully rubbing his back and whispering in his ear.

“Elmo,” Telly said starting to wring his hands together, “you’re story isn’t a bad one is it?”

“No,” Elmo gently lifted his finger to his eye and wiped away a lone tear, “no Elmo’s story isn’t bad.”

“Why does your story make you sad then?” Zoe asked as she edged closer to her friend.

“Because Elmo does not have a story.”

The sniffles continued as Robin’s brow furrowed together thinking about the situation.

“That’s okay Elmo,” Robin said as he pursued his idea, “just tell me the first thing you remember about Sesame Street.”

“But Elmo doesn’t remember anything but Sesame Street. It’s like Elmo’s always been here, and these have always been my friends.”

“Do you know what that means Elmo?” Robin leaned in and whispered.

“No.”

“It means that you’ve always been a Muppet, just like me and Kermit!”

Elmo’s eyes grew wider as he felt special being compared to Kermit and Robin, “And that’s okay?” he asked just to be sure.

[FONT=&quot]“It sure is,” Robin replied and flipped to another new page glad that there wasn't anything wrong with Elmo. “Now, who’s next?"[/FONT]

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
*Hugs Melissa. Thank you for the story update nice lady.
You want some of me cookies? It OK, me have extra. You deserve some for good story.

Heck, there's even a KG reference in here.
Love Telly's story and how Elmo found out about his own special heritage as part of the family.
This is coming along great, please post more!

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Awww, this chapter was just so full of cuteness! I loved hearing about Telly's story and how Kermit asked him to be a Muppet so he could teach kids it's ok to be scared. I really liked that Elmo has just always been a Muppet. I think that fits somehow. Great stuff, looking forward to more.

Java

Reaction score
Okay guys, help me make sure I have my head on straight so that when I return to this in a few days (you know, I have that work thing again) I know which way I'm going.

I want you to help me make sure I'm tallying my characters correctly so that I know what SS stories I have left to tell. This is even in the event that they may be told later on in the story because the characters are on "vacation" for the purposes of this story. And I'll point out which of those are already common knowledge as to will be told later or not, but I won't promise that they are limited to those.

Grover (story to be told later due to traveling with the gang)
Bert (story later as he is fishing with Ernie, or is he?)
Ernie (story later as he is fishing with Bert)
Oscar (out collecting trash, somewhere near Kermit, story to come later)
Count von Count
Mr. Snuffelupagus
Slimey (with Oscar)
Barkley
Hoots
Baby Bear
Forgetful Jones with Clementine and Buster
Prairie Dawn

I know there are a lot of characters I'm leaving out. Who are the main ones that I am missing?

I am aware that there are lesser known characters I could include as well that I am uncertain if I will include in this story (lets just say I don't have an outline for these stories yet). Some of these characters include:
The Amazing Mumford
Guy Smiley
Sherlock Hemlock

Thanks guys, in advance. You all are such a great help here.

Java

Reaction score
Chapter 15

Here it is, the next chapter of my story and my 1000th post! (Sorry, really wanted to celebrate as I made this post, do forgive me!)

Chapter 15

As those around the picnic table Robin was sitting at switched places with those who had yet to tell their story the Count von Count carefully peered over Robin’s shoulder as he flipped back to the front of his notebook where a tally was being kept of how many stories had been collected.

“Ahh, yes.” The Count said as his eyes grew wider as he could be seen quickly passing the index finger of his left hand over the three fingers of his right hand, “add in twenty-six pieces of food, and nineteen different animals and we have seventy, yes seventy wonderful stories so far!” Lightning flashed as he threw his head back in his signature laugh and then cocked his head to the side to look at Robin through his monocle. “May I add another?”

Robin nodded as the alley grew quiet and all waited for The Count to begin.

The Count’s Castle 1969

“One, two, three, spread out the cape
One, two, three, twirl ‘round the floor
One, two, three, left foot you swing
One, two, three, then start to sing
One, two, three, loud as you please!
One, two, three, counting with ease!
One, two, three, doing the batty bat!

Batty, batty bat; batty bat; batty bat; batty bat!

One, two, three, count!

One, two, three, count!

One, two, three, count!
Won’t you dance with me, doing the batty bat?”

As Count passed his window overlooking the city street he lived above his arm swept in front of his face and he dropped his elbow peering out below.

“What is this?” Stopping he moved over and leaned out farther trying to get a better look. “Why, yes, it just might be.” He stepped back turning sharply as he spoke, “Tattiana, Sasha, mind the castle, I’m going out!”

Unnoticed, The Count von Count arrived in the alley where he could see three large moving vans lined up around the curve. He closed his eyes taking in the noise and smells that were starting to come to him.

Slowly he moved forward where he could see the hustle and bustle moving from all three of the vans into 123, a little store and a small little store front. There were plenty of people moving about. Some were setting up lights and cameras, others painting names onto doors, but more even more attractive to him were those moving boxes.

“That’s one, one box! Two, three, four, yes four boxes!” His voice grew louder as he continued counting, drawing stares from a few of the crew members.

“Eighteen, eighteen boxes!” he cried throwing his head back as he laughed and lightening crashed around him.

On the steps of 123 Kermit nudged the orange Muppet beside him, “Who is that over there?”

“You’ve got me; I’ve never seen him before. I was thinking he was with you as he’s purple and has the same type of look as I have now that I’m a Muppet.” Ernie said as he continued through the doorway with his box.

Perching his box on the railing Kermit looked down and called “Hey Jim, you didn’t tell me about him.”

“I’ve never seen him before Kermit, why don’t you go set the box in the apartment and we’ll go meet him.”

“This is wonderful, simply wonderful!” The Count cried as Jim and Kermit approached him. “There are now thirty, thirty boxes on the street!”

“Hi. I’m Kermit the Frog, and this is Jim.”

“Greetings, I am the Count von Count. Do you know why they call me the Count?” Without waiting for them to answer he plowed on, “Because I love to count! I can’t do anything without thinking about counting! It is the passion of my life, besides my bats of course!”

“Pleased to meet you,” Kermit said as he thought a moment, “We didn’t realize that you would be moving in with us on the street today.”

“I’m not. I live in that castle on the hill.” He pointed up to the black spot off in the distance. “You can not see it that well from here, but I have wonderful eyesight and could tell something was going on here on the street. It’s been a very long time since I have had company.”

“So,” Jim began his eyes narrowing in thought, “you love to count.”

“Yes, it is the most wonderful thing in the world. Frequently I count my bats at home, but now, now I have many more things to count with people moving onto the street!”

Kermit picked up on the thought that Jim was having and asked the question, “Would you like to help us teach kids to count?”

“It took me a little while to decide if I wanted to help out of or not. But what are a few years to one who has lived more than one million! In the end I saw how much kids wanted and needed to count and I am but the natural one to help them learn to do that.”

Those around the alley who had been there since the beginning nodded in agreement as the Count continued “and that now gives you seventy-one wonderful stories! Come now, who will give Robin here another story for me to count?”

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
*Glomps Melissa! Thank youuuuuuu! Oh, before I start, here's your MC SM Kermit The Frog badge with your name in silver lettering on the collar points.

Now then... Yes, keeping tally of the stories, like Count like counter.
Although, are we counting Elmo as having a story or not? Because even if he was born a Muppet, he still has a story as we all do. Which would make it a grand total of 72 stories.
And there's a certain ringing from the bells in the belfry of the Count having story #72 in this collection of tales, as it was 1971/72 when he made his debut on the show, in its third season.

Everything's done so perfectly with the little nods here an there, even the song... Oh thank you for the update Melissa, and enjoy your new SM status.

Java

Reaction score
Thank you for the badge, it's wonderful.

Hmmm... I wonder who I'm missing from my list of stories as I thought I had included Elmo in my Tally.

I had Scooter, Robin, Fozzie, Clifford, The Swedish Chef, Big Bird, Cookie Monster, Telly Monster, and Elmo as the stories already told full out. That's 9. Then there were 16 monster stories and I picked 26 food stories and 19 animal stories... and my tally was 70 to add The Count for 71.

Hmmm... have to go back and look again.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry... My internal calculator made an Oops!
*Stock footage of a plane crash.
*Square One Television reference.

You're fright, with my namesake added to the total it would be 71 stories.
Thanks, please post more wen you can.