Remember the Spice Girls?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
But at the same time, it's not good to be so caught up with what's "cool" and what's not, whether you're going with it or not, you know? And if you do like something that happens to be popular, you're not necessarily "going along with the trend," you're just likin' what ya like! :smile: At least, sometimes it's like that.
Oh definitely! Like I said before, I often have that dilemma. I don't want to dismiss something just because it's popular. I know I have missed out on a lot of great things for that reason, and I regret it. Examples are Wayne's World and Austin Powers. It turns out I adored them! But that was only after years of avoiding them.

It's a balancing act of enjoying yourself and then having to stand up for your own interests. Because as the George Harrison/Justin Timberlake thing shows, things are hardly equal!

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
Yeah...and when I was in middle and high school, I got teased a lot for liking music that was "old." Then again, this is coming from the woman who, as a teenager, was told by her mother that she was "16 going on 36." (chuckle)

But in high school, I did see eye to eye with my classmates on some things, like certain movies and off-beat bands, and the school literary magazine/poetry club.

George Harrison gets a posthumous Grammy, but everyone's squealing over Justin Timberlake...there is something wrong with this picture.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Muppet Newsgirl said:
George Harrison gets a posthumous Grammy, but everyone's squealing over Justin Timberlake...there is something wrong with this picture.
Yeah, the world is inherently flawed...

But Skye is right, we shouldn't let other people's trendiness prevent us from liking something. If we do, popularity is STILL influencing our behavior!

Basically I think there's a difference between liking music, and recognizing its importance. I can like Justin Timberlake's songs, but I will not say he deserved all that Grammy attention.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
For the record, Geri "Ginger" Halliwell was always my favorite and my favorite song is "Say You'll Be There".
I was always a Ginger fan, too.

By no means an expert on the group, I'd just listen to them whenever they came on the radio.

And in response to another post, I'm 100% male...as far as I know...

Kiki

Reaction score
Yeah...and when I was in middle and high school, I got teased a lot for liking music that was "old." Then again, this is coming from the woman who, as a teenager, was told by her mother that she was "16 going on 36." (chuckle)
Oh, same here! When the Spice Girls came out, I was still listening to The Beatles and Elvis and all that. I've always loved music from the '60s and '70s, etc. When friends of my parents come around to our house they like to ask me questions and there like, "So, what kind of music are you into?" and I tell them and they get a shock but also look impressed.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Exactly, I was listening to The Beatles when everyone else barely knew who they were.
My situation exactly.

When I was in kindergarten and first grade, whenever one of my buds would ask me what kind of music I was into, I'd say "The Beatles" and "Elvis." They'd look at me as if I were from another planet because I didn't say The Police, Huey Lewis or any of the one-hit wonder bands whose hits were played all over the radio in the early 1980s, then were never heard from again, except on nostalgia programs in later years ("I Love the 80s," "Behind the Music," etc.)

Same things with movies and actors. While my friends were watching Stallone, Schwarzenegger and the like, I was already watching stuff like The Philadelphia Story and Father of the Bride (Spencer Tracy, btw; the Steve Martin version was still almost 10 years away).

So I guess I always dug into the past for my entertainment. Nowadays of course, I'm a big fan of The Police, Huey Lewis, and find Flock of Seagulls rather catchy. But to this day, I still haven't seen Commando, Cobra or even Rambo II.

Kiki

Reaction score
Yeah, everyone thinks I'm a big dag at school.
A lot of people go, "Your music taste is so old", but I actually don't think it's that old at all. I don't think the stuff I listen to will ever age, really. I remember for an RE assigment we had to pick 2 songs that hadto do with religion. I picked 'My Sweet Lord' by George Harrison and 'Imagine' by John Lennon. When I was up in front of the class I told them what songs I picked and they gave me this blank look. "What? Who are they??" It turns out the only person who knew who George and John were was my TEACHER.

The same with my movie tastes. I hate chick flicks, which is what my friends all love. I enjoy nostelgic films, the classics, with great plots and simple special effects... while everyone I know considers them to be lame. :stick_out_tongue:

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
I used to work in a video store. One of my biggest peeves would be when someone would bring a cassette to the counter, realize it was in black and white, and decide not to rent it. "Oh, but the picture on the video box is in color!"

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
The classics, whether they be film, music, books plays, TV, etc. will never age. If the Beatles were supposedly a "teenybopper" band from the 1960s, would they still be known worldwide today? Would there still be conventions, tours, chat rooms, memorabilia, new and old (some quite expensive)?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I used to be that way about B&W when I was like five! Lol But I eventually got over it. Some of the best movies of all time are in B&W. And actually some of them would look even more dated now if they had used color available at the time.

That's what Ebert says about the Beatles' A Hard Day's Night, that the movie wouldn't have become a classic if it was filmed in color. He said "The black and white has a timelessness and a purity to it that color doesn't."

On the other hand, I find that if I first see a film that's been colorized, I have a hard time seeing it later in B&W.

*There's an ugly rumor going around lately that the Beatles were the original Boy Band. Nothing could be further from the truth. The Beatles, unlike Boy Bands, were actually a band (heh), played their own instruments and even more importantly wrote their own songs. NO ONE was doing that at the time.