Remember the Spice Girls?

anytimepally

Reaction score
On the other hand, I find that if I first see a film that's been colorized, I have a hard time seeing it later in B&W.
I've always thought the color in colorized movies looked unnatural :smirk:

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
On the other hand, I find that if I first see a film that's been colorized, I have a hard time seeing it later in B&W.

*There's an ugly rumor going around lately that the Beatles were the original Boy Band. Nothing could be further from the truth. The Beatles, unlike Boy Bands, were actually a band (heh), played their own instruments and even more importantly wrote their own songs. NO ONE was doing that at the time.
If I see a B&W film colorized, it makes me want to puke. Seriously. The colors, even with the best technology, are still artificial looking. And did you ever notice in a colorized film how everyone has the same skin tones?

Colorization has been around for so long that Orson Welles himself pleaded that Ted Turner keep his "Crayolas" away from Citizen Kane and his other B&W films. And Welles certainly knew how to use B&W for maximum effect. Kane, The Magnificent Ambersons, Othello and Touch of Evil, among others have a sinister quality to them, almost like a vintage horror movie.

In the mid-80s, such "Golden Age" Hollywood folks like Jimmy Stewart, Frank Capra and others went before Congress (I think it was) to try to put a stop to copyrighted B&W films that were being colorized.

To this day, though, such major DVD labels like Columbia offer 3 Stooges shorts IN COLOR FOR THE FIRST TIME (as the package proudly proclaims). Yeah, the B&W versions are included too, but why colorize the world of the Stooges? Do they really think they can sell more discs that way?

And speaking of horror movies...can you imagine Dracula, Frankenstein, The Wolf Man,The Invisible Man, and all the other classic horror films from the 30s in 40s in color?

Or what about Val Lewton's productions, such as Cat People, Bedlam, Curse of the Cat People, The Leopard Man, The Ghost Ship, I Walked with a Zombie, and The Body Snatcher? These atmospheric chillers would be pointless in color.

The Beatles "boy band" thing has been going around for a long time now, and I agree, it's absolutely ridiculous to label them as such. They weren't manufactured. They paid their dues, went through several band members, played at some of the sleaziest clubs and were eventually rewarded with a recording contract. And at the time the Abbey Road studios and the Parlophone record label weren't really the big leagues anyway. Producer George Martin mostly recorded classical music and spoken-word comedy albums featuring the Goons and Peter Sellers, among others.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah if anything, the Monkees were 'the original boy band' (only they were better!)

Honestly, I don't mind watching colorized films too much, I just think it's unnecessary. And did you notice people's teeth turn BLUE in colorized films? It's true!

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Yeah if anything, the Monkees were 'the original boy band' (only they were better!)

Honestly, I don't mind watching colorized films too much, I just think it's unnecessary. And did you notice people's teeth turn BLUE in colorized films? It's true!
I LOVE the Monkees! Even saw them when they came here for their 30th anniversary tour.

Even though he was (and will forever be, for better or worse) a Monkee, Michael Nesmith was a talented singer/songwriter in his own right. Before the Monkees, he had recorded several sides, but these were mostly ignored. Obviously once he became a Monkee, everything changed. In fact, it was Nez who was the primary force in getting the Monkees to choose/write their own songs, get a new producer, fire their manager and play their own instruments from their third album on.

In the 1970s, Nez had a very prolific career as a country/rock singer. His music is the only solo Monkee stuff I have.

Unfortunately by the time the tour came to my town, Nez had already left the tour, so I didn't get to see him in person.

FuzzMonkey

Reaction score
Going back to the trend thing. There is some music you listen to because it's catchy and fun. That's the spice girls. Then there is music that you feel. And music that says something. It's ok to enjoy both types. One of my favorite stories is from when I was a senior in high school. We were filling out our papers for senior class favorites. It asked for favorite actor/actress, favorite tv show, movie, band, etc. A guy in my class actually asked me "what should I put for number four?" Like it was a test or something. I told him to just put his favorite actress. He said he wanted to write what everybody else wrote. I find that sad in a way. So I think he ended up writing Alyssa Milano or something. I think I had written Kathy Bates at that time. Big difference.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I am soooo glad someone brought this up!!
I absolutely LOVE the Spice Girls!! I own all 3 cd's plus every solo cd the girls have put out since they broke up. Geri has 3 cd's, Mel C has 4, Mel B has 3, Emma has 4 and Victoria has 1. I also own the "SpiceWorld" movie on vhs and DVD, I have all their songs on Karaoke and I have many vhs tapes both oficial and unofficial that tell their story and have videos for their biggest songs.
I also own 3 concert videos and I even recorded their "E! True Hollywood Story" and their "VH1 Behind The Music" specials.
So yeah, I'm a 33 year old man who loves his Spices!! For the record, Geri "Ginger" Halliwell was always my favorite and my favorite song is "Say You'll Be There".
Wow! Your ubsest!

By The way, I do like their song 'Stop'.

It's a balancing act of enjoying yourself and then having to stand up for your own interests. Because as the George Harrison/Justin Timberlake thing shows, things are hardly equal!
That's true. But you have to remember that when they first came out, that many older people just passed them off as nothing but sinple "boy band" fidder. ANd it was just a buch of teenaged girls who really liked them and they were the most populat band in the history of music. Most of ther fans are just aged former teens who made them so popular to begin with. Sure this Tamberlake gut has nothingon him. But a lot of that has to do with the fact that he is nowhere near as popular in the world as george harrison is. Most of the people who make a big deal out of him are just a very small section of the world that makes up hin audience. But it's the same story bcasue, Temberlake is just in the now. Ten yeers fom now people will have probably forgotten all about him. But they will still remember the music of George Harrison. I garentee it. So there is no reason to get so discurraged about it. Thay will grow out of it eventually. These things just takes a little time sometimes. LOL!

Personally I have alway like off of the norr or olf music and things and I have never been ridiculed about it. For some reason people have always understood me about those kind of things. Not trying to brag though.:smirk:

I've always love movies that were not in color. I've never had a problem with them! I used to watch them all the time. We have quite a few of them. But I haven't really whatched any kind of movie lately at all. LOL!

lael

Reaction score
I love the Turnner Classic Movies channel. Syd Charisse, Marlene Dietrich, Mae West, Ginger Rogers & the ever classic Audry Hepburn are my faves! but I like everything really. *starts beating little drum & skipps over to new thread* LA LA LA! TTFN!

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Oooh! I love GInger Rodgers and I really love Audry Hepburn!:smile:

Kiki

Reaction score
Getting back to the Spice Girls, I listened to a few of their songs not that long ago, they would probely have to be one of my favourite '90s bands (I don't dispise '90s music or anything, it's just that that decade of music's never appealed to me). I must admit, I don't mind they're music and I think they're perty cool. I like it how they are fun and girly... not sleazy and risque like most of today's girl-bands.

Son of Enik

Reaction score
Getting back to the Spice Girls, I listened to a few of their songs not that long ago, they would probely have to be one of my favourite '90s bands (I don't dispise '90s music or anything, it's just that that decade of music's never appealed to me). I must admit, I don't mind they're music and I think they're perty cool. I like it how they are fun and girly... not sleazy and risque like most of today's girl-bands.
You should give their solo albums a listen if you haven't already. They have all matured as well as their music, and still manage to not come across as sleazy.