Seventeen Years Later...

Mr Humbug

Reaction score
I was about two years old when Jim Henson died. I am of that generation of Muppet Fans who never got to know the man while he was alive. But do I feel deprived? No. More than any other man on this planet I believe that Jim left behind a part of himself, in every minute of tape, in every frame of film, in each audio wave we have of his characters he remains alive. I feel I know Jim Henson, and for this I will always be thankful.

RIP

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
You (and those who worked with you) had the foresight to see that kids could be a "sophisticated audience." Thanks for the confidence, Jim! :smile:

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
Here's to you, Jim. Thanks for everything you've shared with us over the years.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Let's see...May 1990. I would have been in 8th grade, getting ready to graduate in June. I remember hearing the news on the radio, and I couldn't believe it! I just could not believe it.

Jim was the first celebrity I was aware of. Caught the first-run eps. of TMS. You couldn't walk into a Woolworth's, Caldor, K-Mart or other department store and not be bombarded with Muppet products, from stuffed animals to books to p.j.s to Play-Dough sets to t-shirts to beach towels, to just about anything.

The first and only stuffed animals I ever owned were of Kermit and Fozzie. In fact, I had two Fozzies. Apparently something happened to my first Fozzie and, according to my mom I made such a fuss, my dad went out and bought me another one.

The first movie I ever saw in a theatre was The Muppet Movie. I had The Great Muppet Caper drinking glasses collection from Burger King. And I saw The Muppets Take Manhattan opening weekend. Of course, I was a seasoned veteran of Sesame Street, a devoted Fraggle Rock fan from day one, and loved Emmett Otter and The Tale of the Bunny Picnic: "I'll get those bunnies, or my name's not...my name's not...whatever it is."

Jim's death really shocked me. Images of Kermit wearing a black armband, or the classic pose of a sad-looking Frog sitting in Jim's canvas chair, a look of emptiness on his face...these are stamped permanently in my brain.

To this day, it's sometimes hard to imagine Jim is really gone. Watching classic Muppet Show episodes or the first three theatrical features...it's like he's still here with us.

So, Jim. This is a thank you from a kid from Connecticut who grew up on your wonderful work and characters. The Muppets inspired me to go into acting, and since my sophomore year in high school, I have been in over 50 plays, and am still getting steady work. The Muppet Show was such an influence on me.

Rest in peace, and know that you have millions of fans around the world who still love you and the wonderful work you gave us.

:smile:

Kiki

Reaction score
Oh Windslow, that was a really touching story. Thank you for sharing that with us. :sympathy:

Yeah, it's amazing, 17 years ago Jim passed away. He doesn't appear to be the kind of person to just... go like that. But I guess we have to face the facts: Jim is gone. He died. But the legend won't, he'll always be alive in our hearts. Here's to you, Jim.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
It's amazing to me that after all these years that People are still saying their good buy to Jim Henson. At first when I heard the he had passed I really honestly thought that the Muppet's were over and as good as dome. Because without the visionary behind the dream, what are the chances of survivable. But now I know that that is simply mot true and that they will live on and I think that is what Jim wanted. He had and trained a troop of people who were as passionate and behind his vision to go forth and catty it out every day that he could not be there with them. And that is something very important to remember. Jim created characters that will be around a very long time from now, and he has people who care just as much as he did about his vision...and his dream.

Thank you Jim Henson.:smile:

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Thank you, Kiki.

When Jim died, I honestly thought I had lost a family member or a really good friend.

Fortunately, his work will live forever!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I was thinking of this exchange from the musical Man of La Mancha. The main character essentially creates this image, this person of Don Quixote, who inspires people to be better than they are. The man eventually dies, but it's clear that the spirit he created would not. :smile:

SANCHO
He is dead.
My master is dead.

ALDONZA
A man died.
He seemed a good man, but I did not know him,

SANCHO
But...

ALDONZA
Don Quixote is not dead. Believe, Sancho, believe.