1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Seventeen Years Later...

Discussion in 'Henson People' started by Convincing John, May 16, 2007.

1. Convincing John

Convincing John Well-Known Member

We remember...

:sympathy:

You are loved and missed by many. Thank you, Jim.

Convincing John
  2. travellingpat

travellingpat Active Member

Thank you Jim for everything youve done...........we really miss you
  3. redBoobergurl

redBoobergurl Well-Known Member

Thanks for everything Jim. Happy day to you up in heaven.
  4. peyjenk

peyjenk New Member

I still miss you.
  5. a_Mickey_Muppet

a_Mickey_Muppet Well-Known Member

wow! 17 years... gosh where does the years go? I was 4 when Jim passed i and i STILL remember seeing about it on TV. I also just got done watchin my dvd of "The Muppets celebrate Jim Henson" and the news of his death from ET on a dvd i got from KermieClown. we miss you jim... :sympathy:
  6. Big Bird Fan

Big Bird Fan Member

We all miss you. You'll always be Kermit and Ernie to me.

I'm surprised there aren't more replies.
  7. SarahOnBway

SarahOnBway Member

We love you Jim!
  8. Krazedmuppet

Krazedmuppet Active Member

You are my role model, who I look up to. Thank you. :) :cry:
  9. Skye

Skye Active Member

We miss you, Jim. Thank you for everything.

We're all the lovers and the dreamers around here. :)
  10. theprawncracker

theprawncracker Well-Known Member

Jim Henson will always be my hero, mentor, and inspiration. Thank you Jim. For everything you ever did. You're this boy's idol. Thank you, from the lovers, the dreamers, and me.
  11. Speed Tracer

Speed Tracer Well-Known Member

Here's to Jim.

:clink:
  12. Mr Humbug

Mr Humbug Member

I was about two years old when Jim Henson died. I am of that generation of Muppet Fans who never got to know the man while he was alive. But do I feel deprived? No. More than any other man on this planet I believe that Jim left behind a part of himself, in every minute of tape, in every frame of film, in each audio wave we have of his characters he remains alive. I feel I know Jim Henson, and for this I will always be thankful.

RIP
  13. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

You (and those who worked with you) had the foresight to see that kids could be a "sophisticated audience." Thanks for the confidence, Jim! :)
  14. MrsPepper

MrsPepper Active Member

Thanks for everything you gave to the world. :)
  15. Muppet Newsgirl

Muppet Newsgirl Active Member

Here's to you, Jim. Thanks for everything you've shared with us over the years.
  16. Winslow Leach

Winslow Leach Active Member

Let's see...May 1990. I would have been in 8th grade, getting ready to graduate in June. I remember hearing the news on the radio, and I couldn't believe it! I just could not believe it.

Jim was the first celebrity I was aware of. Caught the first-run eps. of TMS. You couldn't walk into a Woolworth's, Caldor, K-Mart or other department store and not be bombarded with Muppet products, from stuffed animals to books to p.j.s to Play-Dough sets to t-shirts to beach towels, to just about anything.

The first and only stuffed animals I ever owned were of Kermit and Fozzie. In fact, I had two Fozzies. Apparently something happened to my first Fozzie and, according to my mom I made such a fuss, my dad went out and bought me another one.

The first movie I ever saw in a theatre was The Muppet Movie. I had The Great Muppet Caper drinking glasses collection from Burger King. And I saw The Muppets Take Manhattan opening weekend. Of course, I was a seasoned veteran of Sesame Street, a devoted Fraggle Rock fan from day one, and loved Emmett Otter and The Tale of the Bunny Picnic: "I'll get those bunnies, or my name's not...my name's not...whatever it is."

Jim's death really shocked me. Images of Kermit wearing a black armband, or the classic pose of a sad-looking Frog sitting in Jim's canvas chair, a look of emptiness on his face...these are stamped permanently in my brain.

To this day, it's sometimes hard to imagine Jim is really gone. Watching classic Muppet Show episodes or the first three theatrical features...it's like he's still here with us.

So, Jim. This is a thank you from a kid from Connecticut who grew up on your wonderful work and characters. The Muppets inspired me to go into acting, and since my sophomore year in high school, I have been in over 50 plays, and am still getting steady work. The Muppet Show was such an influence on me.

Rest in peace, and know that you have millions of fans around the world who still love you and the wonderful work you gave us.

:)
  17. Kiki

Kiki Active Member

Oh Windslow, that was a really touching story. Thank you for sharing that with us. :sympathy:

Yeah, it's amazing, 17 years ago Jim passed away. He doesn't appear to be the kind of person to just... go like that. But I guess we have to face the facts: Jim is gone. He died. But the legend won't, he'll always be alive in our hearts. Here's to you, Jim.
  18. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

It's amazing to me that after all these years that People are still saying their good buy to Jim Henson. At first when I heard the he had passed I really honestly thought that the Muppet's were over and as good as dome. Because without the visionary behind the dream, what are the chances of survivable. But now I know that that is simply mot true and that they will live on and I think that is what Jim wanted. He had and trained a troop of people who were as passionate and behind his vision to go forth and catty it out every day that he could not be there with them. And that is something very important to remember. Jim created characters that will be around a very long time from now, and he has people who care just as much as he did about his vision...and his dream.

Thank you Jim Henson.:)
  19. Winslow Leach

Winslow Leach Active Member

Thank you, Kiki.

When Jim died, I honestly thought I had lost a family member or a really good friend.

Fortunately, his work will live forever!
  20. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

I was thinking of this exchange from the musical Man of La Mancha. The main character essentially creates this image, this person of Don Quixote, who inspires people to be better than they are. The man eventually dies, but it's clear that the spirit he created would not. :)

SANCHO
    He is dead.
    My master is dead.

ALDONZA
    A man died.
    He seemed a good man, but I did not know him,

SANCHO
    But...

ALDONZA
    Don Quixote is not dead. Believe, Sancho, believe.