Wocka-Wocka... He's at it again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

spcglider

Reaction score
Of course it is, but that is something that has been created for ease of use. Reporting a copyright violation is a completely different ball game. You can't dial 911 for that.
No, but in the case of Disney, they HAVE created Disneyanti-piracy.com ... which might as well be their own 911.

-G

spcglider

Reaction score
So say Larry builds custom replicas of Muppets. He builds them for himself. He's not breaking the law.
Larry builds one for me and only charges me enough to make no profit from it. He's breaking the law.
^Thants not sinking into my brain as to how that's illegal^
Actually it's illegal in both cases. But the rights-holders have often chosen to ignore personal building versus building to sell. Larry has NO RIGHTS WHATSOEVER under the law to make ANY replica of a Muppet. Unless, of course, he's arranged for limited rights through the Rights Holder to do so and that usually involves paying a fee. That's how manufacturers are able to make Elmo stuffed dolls and hand puppets and action figures and toys and books and games without incurring the wrath of the law.

No need to explain everything again. I've read and re-read. I've had different people tell me different things. It's not a matter I care to actually research either.

Say the Sue's Grandma Betty is on her deathbed with only days to live and has always wanted a pink ROLEX watch. Rolex doesn't make pink watches. One day Sue's walking down the street and a guy happens to have a knock-off version of ROLEX he's selling that look VERY close to the real thing. Suprise! Suprise! One of them is pink! Should Sue pass just because ROLEX wasn't keen enough to make a pink watch? Will Grandma Betty never get a pink Rolex? Dun Dun DUN!
The law doesn't care if Grandma is dying. Just hard fact. Sue, according to the law, should pass. It is still illegal to manufacture or purchase bootleg items.

Sue could just as easily buy a real Rolex and paint it pink for dying Granny. It would be legal that way.

I still stick with my "If the mass isn't going to market something, people will eventually get it somewhere. Lawful or not." :crazy:
And it will still be illegal. No matter what their attitude is. Sorry to let you down, but law trumps attitude until somebody with an attitude becomes an elected official and changes the law via the system.

-G

MGov

Reaction score
I still don't understand how anyone on a message board that is dedicated to the love all things Muppet© can make a valid argument that it is okay to knowingly infringe upon the the creativity of Jim Henson, Frank Oz, Michael Frith, Jerry Juhl, Faz Fazakas, Richard Hunt, Dave Goelz, Jerry Nelson, Steve Whitmire and everyone else who has made the Muppets© internationally famous. Any replicas have no intrinsic value without the hard work that these people did. To encourage the illegal replicas belittles the very thing that we all profess to love so much.

It seems like the people on this board who are most vehemently against the replicas are the ones who have worked and earned a living in creative fields in some capacity. Maybe that gives a different perspective on the subject of intellectual properties.

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
I still don't understand how anyone on a message board that is dedicated to the love all things Muppet© can make a valid argument that it is okay to knowingly infringe upon the the creativity of Jim Henson, Frank Oz, Michael Frith, Jerry Juhl, Faz Fazakas, Richard Hunt, Dave Goelz, Jerry Nelson, Steve Whitmire and everyone else who has made the Muppets© internationally famous. Any replicas have no intrinsic value without the hard work that these people did. To encourage the illegal replicas belittles the very thing that we all profess to love so much.

It seems like the people on this board who are most vehemently against the replicas are the ones who have worked and earned a living in creative fields in some capacity. Maybe that gives a different perspective on the subject of intellectual properties.
It does indeed put a different perspective on it,

I for one wont post pictures on my Original work with out having gone thru the process of protecting them ,and their is work I have done that I wont post unless given permission to do so,

It makes me very uncomfortable to post my original creations for the world to see, knowing that their are unscrupulous people out their stealing designs and selling that work at a profit.

it also puts freelance artists like my self in a bad light.

while I have never built a replica for sale , because this individual is well aware that what he/she is doing is Illegal,and has not revealed who they are. We do not know who they are, and until they are stopped, any one of us who are professional designers and builders could be put under tighter scrutiny by Disney,Sesame Workshop, or who ever else they are stealing from. Which could cost us legitimate jobs.The puppet community is very small, and rumors spread like wildfire.so I certainly would not want my name attached to this person in any way shape or form.

maybe that's a bit paranoid, but I do feel this individual cast a black shadow on legitimate designers and builders,If only because they are to cowardly to step forward and show the world their face

Kevin the Frog

Reaction score
I had always wondered about that ravagefrackle, if I could build like you I would probably keep all designs secret until they were protected. That's interesting.

I also found an interesting post on Andrew's site from about a year ago. I like his approach and attitude to the whole thing:
http://puppetvision.blogspot.com/2006/10/about-selling-replica-puppets.html

Regarding the cowardly lion, it took me about two minutes to get his info. He lives in apartment G-23. If a guy like me with a laptop and an internet connection can find out his info in two minutes, I think Henson / Disney / Whoever would have done something by now if they were really concerned.

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
Apartemnet G-23 aye?

well how about a name to go with the address,lol

Telly

Reaction score
I can see in that case where the company was making a profit from what Lucas has created and "making misleading claims about the authenticity and origins of these items" is lawfully wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.