Elmo's Christmas Countdown

Drtooth

Reaction score
But back to the original statement. i do not think Hollywood is liberal or conservative. They only follow one principle... getting as dang many cash as possible. maybe that's why they have generic Holiday specials. not under pressure from social groups, not under pressure from liberal gulit... you can make a LOT more money making something culturally ambiguous and selling it to more people with using as little money of your own as possible.

But then again, Christmas is commercial. and their for, Christmas sells. The Pagan side and Christian side can both make a lot of money. I dunno how much you can make off of Hannukkah. I mean the Disney store tried to sell a Mickey Mouse Menorah (no foolin) and I don't think it was that good of an idea. And I have no idea how you'd go about marketing Kwanza.

that said, other than the obvious Christmas Eve on Sesame Street, my favorite SS Holiday special was the New Years eve one. That one was great, even though I thought it was a cheat them having Elmo's Mexican cousin instead of Pancho, Lola, and Abelardo Montoya. It would be great if they remade the Japanese segment with Japanese muppet characters, and not just used Elmo's Japanese cousing Elmonoski (actually, his name would be more like Erumonosuke to be more accurate).

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I agree, ultimately Hollywood's main motivation is money. It is a business. However, I don't think they are losing any money from making straight Christmas specials. They are still occasionally made today and most people in the country celebrate Christmas. (Not that I think they shouldn't include the others).

Like when certain department stores decided to say "Happy holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas." They quickly changed their minds when they realized a great number of their customers celebrated Christmas and didn't like that.

Anyway, you will be hard pressed to find a movie that does not lean liberal. Or more to the point, you'll be hard pressed to find a movie that leans very conservative. There's just certain themes you will rarely if ever see. When they do the Oscars, the love is often given to a very liberal movie. It's not always a bad thing, but it is present. Most people involved in the entertainment industry are liberal, that is a fact.

I remember the New Years special a little bit. A little too kiddie for me, but I liked the international aspect. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Christmas is a big seller. That's sure. I guess they were trying out for more money without having to spend any to make other specials.

But then again, when I look at a commercial that says "Happy holidays" I see Christmas Trees, Christmas presents, Santa Claus....

So for me it's not so much as calling it Christmas being religious, but just out of shear stupidity that gets me. if you keep on doing that, at LEAST put some Hannuka imagery in there.
Anyway, you will be hard pressed to find a movie that does not lean liberal. Or more to the point, you'll be hard pressed to find a movie that leans very conservative. There's just certain themes you will rarely if ever see. When they do the Oscars, the love is often given to a very liberal movie. It's not always a bad thing, but it is present. Most people involved in the entertainment industry are liberal, that is a fact.
Usually the stars themselves. Producers don't give a rat's fez. They only care if it sells. But most of the left leaning ones tend to do poorly, while action films (thinly disguised as propaganda in some cases) do well. But I don't care either way. if it's not animated or stars a superhero, I ain't interrested.

spanoftheos

Reaction score
Hi my name is Joe Spanos and I'm a big fan of Sesame Street and the Muppet

Show. I grew up watching Sesame Street ever since I was 3. Cookie Monster

has always been my all time favorite character. I also like Elmo, Big Bird,

Oscar the Grouch, Bert, Ernie, Grover, The Count, Telly Monster,

Snuffleupagus, and Herry Monster. I guess you could say that I like pretty

much all of them including Cookie Monster. I also have a bunch of favorite

Muppet Show characters like Kermit the Frog, Fozzie Bear, Gonzo, Rowlf the

Dog, Animal, Bunsen Honeydew, Beaker, The Swedish Chef, Dr. Teeth, Sam

the Eagle, Rizzo the Rat, Statler, and Waldorf. I'm looking forward to

seeing the new Sesame Street Holiday special on ABC, Elmo's Christmas

Countdown. I've been hearing good things about it. It's good to hear that

ceratin Sesame Street characters like Elmo, Big Bird, Oscar the Grouch, Bert,

Ernie, Grover, The Count, and Snuffleupagus will all be in it. I hope Cookie

Monster will be in it too because like I said he's my favorite character. Will

Cookie Monster be in Elmo's Christmas Countdown too? Can you tell me when

Elmo's Christmas Countdown will be airing on ABC? Also, can you tell me if

Elmo's Christmas Countdown will be released on DVD after if it airs on ABC?

Please e-mail me at spanoftheos@sbcglobal.net

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I don't think we'll agree on this point Drtooth, lol, but that's cool. :smile:

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
I noticed someone brought up the actual birthday of Jesus Christ and they are right that it's probably not December 25th. But then, The Bible never specifically tells us when He was born and we can conjecture, but still not know for sure.
But December 25th. was chosen by the church some long years ago as sort of an arbitrary date to celebrate Christ's birth- and it was also chosen to replace the pagan winter celebration (Saturnalia) that had been going on about the same time.
(Here's an interesting newspaper article I found regarding this
http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2004/12/23/special_reports/religion/21_50_1412_22_04.txt)
Here's another link to look at-http://www.religionfacts.com/christianity/holidays/christmas.htm)
The main thing is that we know Jesus did come and it's great to celebrate it any day of the year!:smile: I love Christmas all year round!

But The Bible never really commands us to commemorate Jesus' birth. However, one thing Jesus does tell us to remember is His death and resurrection. "Do this in remembrance of me." (1 Corinthians 11:23-29)
(Regarding The Lord's Supper, or Communion, as it's called.)
This is one other reason why Easter is equally, if not more so important than Christmas. Christmas is only complete with Easter- because that was Jesus' whole point in coming. As a hymn says that I really love- "Christmas has its cradle and Easter has its cross."- and later on to the last verse "Christmas has its cradle and Easter has its Lord.":big_grin:

(Here's the first and last verses)

Christmas has its cradle where a Baby cried;
Did the lantern’s shadow show Him crucified?
Did He foresee darkly His life’s willing loss?
Christmas has its cradle and Easter has its cross.

Christmas had its cradle where that Baby cried;
In the Easter garden, Christ lay crucified;
When death’s power was conquered,
God’s life through Him poured
Christmas had its cradle and Easter has its Lord!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think we've gone off topic long enough. Let's just get the train back on the tracks of the special.

[old school fanboy rant] Why can't it be Sherlock Hemlock's Christmas Count Down?[/old school fanboy rant]

just kidding.

But I am wondering, given the title and subject if our favorite royal titled eccentric batlover, Count Von Count will do any of the counting.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
That's interesting GonzoLeaper! Well to be honest, I don't like trying to figure out which is more important, Christmas or Easter. The way I see it, you can't have one without the other. :wink:

Yeah I imagine the Count would love Advent calendars...even ones with inexplicably 10 days on them! lol

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah. The Count should have his own line of Advent calendars. i once had a Bootlegg European Mickey Mouse one, and it had Scrooge McDuck, Magica DeSpell and a Beagle Boy on it!

I'm getting off the subject again, aren't I? :concern:

I'd love to see how Count vonCount celebrates Christmas.... counting the decorations on the tree, counting the chestnuts on the open fire, counting the presents. He'd spend so much time Counting that would take a whole month to celebrate christmas.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
That's interesting GonzoLeaper! Well to be honest, I don't like trying to figure out which is more important, Christmas or Easter. The way I see it, you can't have one without the other.
Well, of course that is true too. And so I happily celebrate both!:big_grin:

And to get back towards the original topic, I hope this new Sesame Street special will be a worthy addition to my Christmas celebrations!:excited: