Retired Muppets will move to Atlanta

muppetsforlife

Reaction score
wow I wasn't even aware there was such a thing for puppets. Thats very interesting. I'll have to go check that out.

Psammeadboi

Reaction score
I was just at the Museum at the beginning of January. The exhibit is small, but well worth checking out. The Muppets are wonderfully displayed in classic poses and it does the heart good to see them in person. The room they are showcased in, however small, is full of colors and shapes that are aesthetically pleasing and right in the vein of the Muppets.

There are no pictures allowed, unfortunately, but its not enforced. At least, it wasn't when I was there :wink: . I also had the pleasure of making a friend at the museum who allowed me twice, on two seperate visits, to go behind the scenes to see the Mystic they once had on display and Mr. and Mrs. Fox from Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas.

I about fainted when I saw the Mystic. I wasn't allowed to touch it for obvious reasons, but I did get to take tons of pictures of the decaying relic.

But if you're going to the Museum, see the permanent exhibit, too. It has Link Hogthrob and Dr. Julius Strangepork, Fish face goblin from Labyrinth, and SkekUng from the Dark Crystal.

peyjenk

Reaction score
I'm going to Atlanta in about two weeks for my spring break... and guess where I'll be stopping by.....

Convincing John

Reaction score
I about fainted when I saw the Mystic. I wasn't allowed to touch it for obvious reasons, but I did get to take tons of pictures of the decaying relic.
That's how I felt one time at a different Muppet exhibit. I saw a Garthim and Aughra (yep, the original one Frank Oz performed)! They had her up on a stand (in a glass case) and had her positioned so she was glaring down at you.

I'm glad you got to see the Mystic! Good that you had such a fun time.:insatiable:

Convincing John

RustyDog

Reaction score
well i'm near Atlanta and I've been planning to go to the center, if i can i'll take some pics. I'm really excited about seeing the exhibit.:smile::halo::big_grin:

peyjenk

Reaction score
Okay, so I started another thread about this because I forgot about this one (oops :embarrassed:). But I went to the Center yesterday (I'm down south visiting family in Atlanta and Montgomery) and it was the most inspirational, celebrational thing I've seen in a long time. The video tribute to Jim was beautifully done, and I loved the display that showcased the other puppeteers in a circle around Jim. And, of course, who wouldn't love seeing Dr. Teeth in person?

One thing that really struck me was how small the Muppets were. On TV and the movies, they all look so much bigger!

I can't wait to go back when the Jim Henson wing is open.

stephenjlizard

Reaction score
Hey Peyton, I'm glad you got a chance to see everything at the Center. Isn't it incredible?

I laughed when I read your remark about the Muppets being "small". My reaction was actually quite the opposite! Especially when I saw Link and Dr. Strangepork in the museum, I thought to myself "Wow, those are 3 or 4 feel long...that's almost my entire arm!". And even seeing the Swedish Chef and the rest of the gang in the Henson exhibit, they looked so much larger to me. Probably because I'm used to seeing them on the TV screen, which of course shrinks them down a bit.

I just thought it was funny that our reactions were almost completely opposite!

zns

Reaction score
I think it is. They should still have the three exhibits open as of right now still. The Jim Henson Legacy will probably start making announcements as the date gets closer. It's still March, so we have plenty of time to think about it. Right now, we should all be excited about the new Muppet movie coming out for Thanksgiving.

frogtownhollow

Reaction score
There's plenty of enthusiasm for both, but given the choice, I'd rather see that collection.