Tinseltown News

CBPuppets

Reaction score
Samson Sounds somewhat Similar between Kermit and Scooter while Bobby sounds like a mix Between Pepe and Gonzo.

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
It's not like he saw a good-looking person on the street and noticed that he/she was good-looking. He chose a car wash with a half-naked person washing his car, when he could have chose a regular car washing service. In addition he pointed out a spot that the guy missed specifically so he could get a better view of the washer's buttocks. If my wife did that I would count it as cheating, she also would if I did something similar. I don't drive at the moment but if my bicycle ever got a flat and there was a bike shop with female mechanics in bikinis and I chose that bike shop to have my tire replaced at over a regular bike shop and tried to get the person doing the work to show me a little more than she already was, that would be cheating.
Wait a minute! Amish can't have computers, you get off here right now! haha
Just kidding but seriously it's only a puppet show no reason to get all bent out of shape over a fictional character that some MAN wrote to be a certain way to stereo type typical MALE actions.
Samson Sounds somewhat Similar between Kermit and Scooter while Bobby sounds like a mix Between Pepe and Gonzo.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing sounds like snotty hollywood Kermit.

Luke

Reaction score
In my opinion it's cheating because Jesus said that if you even look at a girl lustfully, you've commited adultery with her in your heart.
If just looking at another girl was cheating then i think Jesus is going to have a lot of people to save, including many christians. My point is, Jesus view was of a very different world a long time ago, times have changed, and you probably need to put his actual message into context a bit rather than hanging on each and every word.

I watched the show and absolutelty loved it - and i didn't really think they were trying to send out any pro-homosexuality message, as opposed to just spoofing life of a funny couple in Hollywood (where a large percentage of these showbiz types ARE gay). Jim Henson, who also performed adult orientated puppetry and had a somewhat alternative lifestyle himself, wasn't noted to be particularly fond of his puppets being used to make political or politically correct points. That's why i also find the Sesame war stuff a little hard to stomach at first, though i can see the comfort kids get out of seeing Elmo explain things to them, and its been done very well. So i'm glad Tinseltown is more about getting laughs than having any kind of agenda.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Hey, if my fella wants me to wash his bike shirtless, just get me the hose! I have a gym membership and I use it. My guy tends to most appreciative of that. Just have to be careful that nobody directly into the blinding pasty whiteness that is me. :eek:

I agree that this show is more of a spoof a particular type of Hollywood couple. Not everything needs to be an endorsement or a condemntation for that matter. :stick_out_tongue:

If the Samson character made a habit of going to this carwash and keeping it from Bobby that, to me, is what would be wrong. :smirk:

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
Hey, if my fella wants me to wash his bike shirtless, just get me the hose! I have a gym membership and I use it. My guy tends to most appreciative of that. Just have to be careful that nobody directly into the blinding pasty whiteness that is me. :eek:

I agree that this show is more of a spoof a particular type of Hollywood couple. Not everything needs to be an endorsement or a condemntation for that matter. :stick_out_tongue:

If the Samson character made a habit of going to this carwash and keeping it from Bobby that, to me, is what would be wrong. :smirk:
I'm pretty sure from the start though in the information about this show that it states that he is co-dependent and that their relationship is on the rocks.
haha and that's funny I'm a whitey mc whitey myself funny us both being in Cali.

Luke

Reaction score
The wrong thing is not taking Bobby along to enjoy the view. He definitely seems up for a party! It's interesting that Bobby's assistant is Samson's ex-wife or something, lol.

I REALLY like this show, it needs to be on a major network. Best thing Henson have done since VMX, maybe even before that.

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
I saw it but I didn't like it and this has nothing to do with the characters sexuality, but would somebody please tell me why Bob Vegan didn't ask Samson what was wrong when he first discovered that his partner was making a dish that he wasn't particularly fond of rather than go on about his boring day, I mean if I came home from my classes or from a day of subbing to find that my wife was making a meal she knew I hated I'd know something was wrong the minute I walked in the kitchen (that is, unless it was chicken livers which is something I don't like that she likes so therefore in that case there doesn't necessarily have to be something wrong) and I'd stop worrying about myself and pay attention to her. Also the scene involving Samson cheating on Bob tells me that this couple needs help desparately. Rather than deal with their problems they just cheat on each other and feed their addictions. Hardly role models to tell me or anyone else for that matter that there's nothing wrong with homosexuality.
The reason Bobby didn't stop worrying about himself when he entered the kitched is because he is very self-absorbed (and was also slightly drunk).

I don't think Samson’s actions at the carwash was cheating. Not the most faithful move, but not cheating. Practically every sitcom has had those episodes where a guy is caught by his wife/girlfriend looking at an attractive waitress, or he’ll get himself in trouble from buying some needless item because its was being sold an attractive saleswoman, or he’ll puts his foot in him mouth by making some comment about an attractive woman, or he’ll get caught checking some other woman out, or his take to a bachelor party or he’ll wind up in some other innocently treacherous (and comical) situations with another woman --- in fact I think that’s pretty much the entire Nick-@-Nite line up right now. The only difference here is instead of a straight couple having an imperfect relationship (with the occasionally wondering eye) here you have a gay bull and pig with the same kind of dysfunction.

Bobby and Samson (and the human co-stars of Tinseltown) are not exactly what I would call perfect “role-models”. They are dysfunctional and flawed characters. They are, at times, over the top and out of control. They aren’t trying to set a good example here – the characters are raw and flawed – and that’s where a lot of the comedy comes fun. Plus how fun are clean-cut, conflict-free and unflawed characters to watch anyway? :wink:

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Some thoughts...

Someone here said that pilots are tough (I think it may have been Jamie, I don’t feel like going back to check now) – but I agree. Look at the first episode of almost any show, they are usually rough around the edges. And Muppet shows often take a few until they really hit their stride. But I really think there is a lot of potential with the series and these characters. I enjoyed the pilot and I'm hungry to see more. The pilot is a bit rough around the edges but I can really see these characters and this world provided a lot of fun for viewers. It was pretty decent for a 10-minute pilot, the characters are great (even if we only saw the briefly) and puppetry was very well done. It shows off the characters and style while providing a simple and comical story. I love seeing puppets out in the real world, so this was a real treat. There were some great bits. I really wish this would become a full 30-minute series so they could expand and better develop the characters and world. But even at 10-minutes, there is a lot of fun to be had with this.

There is so much potential for great episodes and situations – I’d love to see Bobby in an audition, or maybe Samson and Bobby get called in for a parent-teacher conference at Foster’s school. Or Bobby goes to the gym to get back in shape (and physical comedy ensues), or Bobby and Samson celebrate their anniversary (and some kind of comedy ensues), or maybe Bobby goes on a talk show but overindulges backstage beforehand and is just a little bit smashed on the air (and thus comedy ensues). Or maybe Bobby or Samson’s parents (or some other family members) visit the couple (hey an excuse for more puppets!).

There’s a lot you can do with these characters and this premise. The syntax and form of the fly-on-the-wall reality-TV genre gives this show a loose and raw feel while somewhat lovingly mocking the celebrity-reality genre (take that Ozzy Osboune, Nick & Jessica, Flava-flav, "Peter Brady", Kathy Griffin and Hollywood Hulk Hogan). I really like the characters and can't wait to see them get more developed and fleshed out.

After watching this pilot and listening to the interview on the Henson podcast, I’m ready to see more of these characters and see them expanded and enhanced as time goes on.

Oh, and here's something to think about -- don't you think Samson would have been offended by Bobby dressing all in leather in the closing scene? I mean he is a bull afterall - you don't see Kermit ordering porkchops at dinner with Piggy, and Gonzo doesn't pop McNuggets infront of Camilla. Maybe it was synthtic leather.

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
Wow! Actual thoughtful discussion of the show in the thread about the show. I don't think I've had to delete anything all day. :smile: Tinseltown may have a lot of potential that's yet to truly be tapped, but far more remarkably there may be hope for this thread.