Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 38

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention... our current hotel room DOESN'T have PBS! Can you believe it?

Erine81981

Reaction score
That's stinks really bad. *waves hand in front of nose*

D'Snowth

Reaction score
That's stinks really bad. *waves hand in front of nose*
Tell me about it... I mean PBS of all channels! I don't know if the fact that a lot of hotels around here are owned/managed/ran by immigrants from India has anything to do with it, or not; I think I heard something about some of them are a little sensitive when it comes to PBS, or something like that.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Season finale... Lots of lines that made me laugh.
Grundgetta: I'm switching to Fox News, now there's a really trashy show.
The Lifeguard from EW, sounded like Christopher Watkins.
References to famous reporters, you have to know them to pick them out.

Here's the rundown.

Episode 4160: Grouch News Network
Cold Opening: Word on the Street: Murray Monster asks about "struggle".
Street Story.
Film/Song: "Splish, Splash", washing an elephant at the zoo.
Celebrity: Word on the Street Explanation: "Struggle".
Animation: Two kids argue over their toys, brake it, and then fix the baby doll.
Letter of the Day Game Show: G, Cookie finds a guitar, grapes, and a girl who's Prairie Dawn with her groceries.
Animation Song: Ornage G's going through the garden gate.
Muppets: GNN Report on the Letter G with Dan Rather-Not and Walter Cranky.
Muppets: Song: "Elmo's Riding" with Elmo and Louie, his dad.
Muppets: Twiddlebugs' Birthday Party for Uncle Wally.
Muppet-Kid Moment: Alphabet Recital with Abby Cadaby and Algada?
Animation: Alphabet Recital.
Muppets: Song: "Rubber Duckie", the original version.
Film: All people need water.
The Count's Counting Organ: 9.
Animation: Number Guy: 9 Sheep jumping over his bed at nighttime.
Animation: Milo Counting up to 9.
Elmo's World: Helping, New.
Super Grover crashlands at the beginning, and is featured throughout.
Dorothy's Question: How do you help someone get dressed? (Mr. Noodle and Ms. Noodle).
Dorothy's Question: Kids show how to get dressed.
Elmo's Question: How many penguins are helping the walrus? 6 penguins and 1 furry red monster.
Email Message: Papa Bear and Baby Bear help each other and a chicken cross the street.
Drawer: Who can help?
Film: Girl helps her her mom make oatmeal cookies.
TV: The Helping Channel: Song: "We Always Help Each Other"; Additional Parody Mentions: Ham Sandwich Helper.
Special Guest: Super Grover, The Nurse, The Crossing Guard, The Lifeguard (Helper People).
Tickle-Me Land: Elmo as a lifeguard, with added Baywatch-esque music.
Good-Bye Song.
Ending Insert: GNN Sponsors Presentation.

Now scram!

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I sort of liked that the street story continued through the show. I wouldn't consider this a mulitiple part story like the 'word dog' story or the 'fairy tale emergency' story. If that was the case, we wouldn't have seen "Elmo's World." I'd say this is more or less like season 34 with the street story taking up the first part of the show. Then a second part that's sort of relevant. Then referring back to it at the end when they say the sponsors. Still, I liked the concept. Looks like we got what we were hoping for... Bob McGrath (or Bob Johnson, as he's referred to in Muppet Wiki.) I hope that's a sign that he'll get more airtime next season.

One thing, I would have changed though would be Cookie Monsters 'struggle.' I mean, so he broke a Cookie. He was just going to chew it up anyway. He's not that stupid. Maybe it would have been better if he was struggling to open a cookie jar that was sealed up tight or something like that.

A lot of good moments from Sesame Street's past in this episode including "Splish Splash" with the bathing elephant and the original version of "Rubber Duckie."

By the way, I'm going to be getting some episodes that I haven't seen during my local stations afternoon airing, so forgive me in advance if I mess up the order of these posts.

DTF

Reaction score
I thought that was the original rubber duckie version - I suspect they are hearing fans' calls for more old stuff if they can't do original stuff. And, the bathing elephant - that was old, too? I thought it seemed familiar - it was really cool.

The Grouch News part did have a lot of great lines. I liked how Oscar pleaded with Grungetta not to turn the channels, or his ratings would go down. I will try not to break into a rant about how round the clock news has made all sides focus on that too much, in my view. I'll just say I don't watch news at all anymore - newspapers don't usually overdo things, and at least my local paper seems to ty hard to get stories right.

Although, I do fondly remember as a kid making up ABCD Morning News at Night with Falter Cranknite. (I have a series of tapes I saved from various weirdness skits - one was of that news show, and as I mention, probably the oil shortage, struggle to think of something funny to say, my friend quipped "I thikn your brain is suffering from a shortage of news." Great line.)

Super Grover's ironic line at the end of Elmo's World - "This song is a bit complicated" - also showed that, while SW may not change it, perhaps they at least hear our complaints, that that closing song seems too simplistic for all but the very youngest viewers. Yes, some 2-3YOs sing like that, and it's cute at first, but by the third or fourth time hearing Elmo sing a word that way on EW it's too dull.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Animation: Two kids argue over their toys, brake it, and then fix the baby doll.
That animation was the second appearance of the stop motion "pipe Cleaner" family.

Really strong season finalie. Loved the jab at Fox news.

I always love an Oscar episode. Now that's when they really pull out all the stops and make a great episode. And Bob finally appears in a new segment this season. A bit late, but Bob is one of the founding humans of Sesame Street, and the oldest cast member still on the show with Loretta Long and Carol Spinney.

It's been a while since I've seen Oscar interact with Cookie loke that. Of course, considering he rarely leaves his can, It's no wonder.

And then they took the main segment and made it a letter of the day skit and the closing sponser segment. Not as carried out as the "dog" episode this year (which was in segments like classic SS), but still great to see it recur through the episode.

And I really enjoyed the Elmo singing about his trike with his father, who FINALLY gets an appearance on Sesame Street (and not a direct to DVD segment). Was that bill performing him? He's not listed in the credits.

A lot of weird reused stuff from the 80's and early 90's, including Splish splash, which still holds up, surprisingly.

Guess Tyra bank's word of the day was a little thing for those fathers watching out there. Especially the "I can't wait to take this sweater off" line.

I alo enjoyed the reshoot of Rubber Duckie. While the classic flat looking tubs with no back ground version will always be a classic to fans, I like the depth, and look of this new one. Instead of rerecording a song, using an old one, but refilming it so it doesn't look too dated (in reference of how the characters look).

And finally, a great Elmo's World. My favorite, along with "food" in which Frank's Cookie and Grover appeared. Super Grover made this one memorable. And a nice little Andrea Martin cover of a classic SS song. Nice one.

Stay tuned tomorrow for a full season rap up.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
One thing, I would have changed though would be Cookie Monsters 'struggle.' I mean, so he broke a Cookie. He was just going to chew it up anyway. He's not that stupid. Maybe it would have been better if he was struggling to open a cookie jar that was sealed up tight or something like that.
I think he would have eaten the jar, as well.

And Bob finally appears in a new segment this season. A bit late, but Bob is one of the founding humans of Sesame Street, and the oldest cast member still on the show with Loretta Long and Carol Spinney.
And Frank, too.

Really loved today's episode! Wow! So Miss Noodle has a sister Miss Noodle too now, LOL!

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I think he would have eaten the jar, as well.
Yeah. I kind of expected that, but I was thinking he wouldn't figure it out until the end of his scene. Similar to the 'letter of the day' segments... Anyway, it's just a thought I had. Nothing to really speculate on.

And I really enjoyed the Elmo singing about his trike with his father, who FINALLY gets an appearance on Sesame Street (and not a direct to DVD segment). Was that bill performing him? He's not listed in the credits.
Well, I didn't hear the voice, but it's possible. Even though a puppeteer isn't listed in the credits, doesn't mean they wouldn't peform once in a while.

Anyway, I got 'Big Bird Helps Zero Feel Better' today. I'd have to say the highlight of that episode was that :smile: showed up. It's good to see him in something other than "Doo dee Rubber Duck." I guess this was from sometime in the 90s before Disney had the rights to the Muppets. Plus, I've noticed there Elmo's fur was a bit shaggier and Zoe wasn't wearing any clothes so it had to have been from around that time. I also read at Muppet Wiki that Steve did use Kermit on the show a few times so this must have been one of those times. Overall, it was good to see that.

Another thing I've noticed is that they reversed the order of the 'letter' and 'number' of they day. Though I liked seeing a new 'letter of the day' segment rather than playing the same ones with Cookie Monster over and over again.

As for the street story, well it's always good to have Big Bird in the plot. One good thing about having Matt perform Big Bird is that it gives him more of a chance to interact with Oscar. I know it happened quite a bit before as well, but I think Carroll was in the Big Bird costume while Matt or someone else was playing Oscar. Now it seems like it's the other way around. Just thought I'd mention that. I liked Alan's spoof of the song 'we have no bananas.' Also, I was interested in the fact that the delivery lady described the store as 'MR. Hooper's Store,' rather than just 'Hooper's.' I don't know if anyone has called it 'Mr. Hooper's Store' too often since Mr. Hooper died, but correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Good episode. Bit disappointed they didn't air the song where Luis and María are at the museum, the parody of "Let's Call The Whole Thing Off".
Why do you think they would air that one? In fact, I don't think the writer's have played that one since Luis and Maria got married. Correct me if I'm wrong on that one as well.

wiley207

Reaction score
I alo enjoyed the reshoot of Rubber Duckie. While the classic flat looking tubs with no back ground version will always be a classic to fans, I like the depth, and look of this new one. Instead of rerecording a song, using an old one, but refilming it so it doesn't look too dated (in reference of how the characters look).

I, too, enjoyed the reshoot of "Rubber Duckie." I think it was done in 1998, and it might've been Steve Whitmire operating the Ernie puppet, lip-synching it to the original Jim Henson recording.

And I also liked the new "Elmo's World," mainly because Super Grover was helping out in this one. And I'm glad to see Bob finally made an appearance.

I thought people were gonna be saying "Only TWO episodes without Elmo's World?" My response to that might be because it's new to the show, which has been using Elmo's World for almost ten years now. But there might be more to come soon.

There was also a good balance of 1980s and early 1990s material as well. Even though there was pretty much no 1970s material, the 1980s and 1990s clips were pretty good, especially the ones with Henson's Ernie in them!

Overall, I loved this season, and I like it even more than Season 37. I can't wait for the next season to come out now! :big_grin: