Now I'm glad I don't have cable....

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
I used to watch American Movie Classics all the time...when they showed actual classic movies, uncut, commercial free and in widescreen. These days? No more classic movies, unless you consider stuff like Alien vs. Predator, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind and Nell classics. Plus, you have commercials every five minutes, movies edited for time/content, and no widescreen in sight.

I'll stick to TCM, thank you.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Coming up next./.. a food channel original series about excersizing, and a fitness channel series about eating rich, fatty foods. Not to mention a travel channel series about sitting on your couch and watching people with more money than you visit exotic lands.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well, while I hate to sound like a conspiracy theorist, I think that the problem is that slowly our diversity is being taken away from us. :wink:
It's definitely true, but the odd thing is, that's been around for years. They were complaining about the growing conformity even in the '50s. I think society goes in circles. The same problems pop up time and again, until something comes along to shake it up. But then that becomes old and we're back to conformity again.

Xerus

Reaction score
Another cable channel I used to like was TBS. It was a family type station that showed classic cartoons like Popeye and Looney Tunes during the day and old and original sitcoms in the evening. But now they've taken away all the cartoons and good stuff and it just doesn't seem the same anymore.

anytimepally

Reaction score
I used to watch American Movie Classics all the time...when they showed actual classic movies, uncut, commercial free and in widescreen.
there was a time when I had cable and loved AMC and it's commercial free movies.. then I didn't have cable for a few years and when I returned, AMC had commercials.. drove me crazy.. of course, now I don't even have a TV, so it's doesn't bother me anymore, but I can't even stand commericals on radio

anytimepally

Reaction score
Another cable channel I used to like was TBS. It was a family type station that showed classic cartoons like Popeye and Looney Tunes during the day and old and original sitcoms in the evening. But now they've taken away all the cartoons and good stuff and it just doesn't seem the same anymore.
speaking of old cable channels and classic cartoons.. anyone remember USA's Cartoon Express? .. man, if I didn't get my Wacky Races fix before school, the whole day was shot :stick_out_tongue:

Xerus

Reaction score
speaking of old cable channels and classic cartoons.. anyone remember USA's Cartoon Express? .. man, if I didn't get my Wacky Races fix before school, the whole day was shot :stick_out_tongue:
I remember and loved the USA Cartoon Express. Especially where I got to see classic cartoons like Smurfs, Yogi's Space Race, and other neat HB cartoons, before Cartoon Network was created. And then Cartoon Express suddenly disappeared and USA Network became an adult channel where it showed nothing but adult movies and cop shows. It's like certain networks have decided to stop being kid friendly.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I remember and loved the USA Cartoon Express. Especially where I got to see classic cartoons like Smurfs, Yogi's Space Race, and other neat HB cartoons, before Cartoon Network was created. And then Cartoon Express suddenly disappeared and USA Network became an adult channel where it showed nothing but adult movies and cop shows. It's like certain networks have decided to stop being kid friendly.
I guess that's why they created CN in the first place. There are not enough cable cartoon channels, and since they want more Tween style sitcoms, we'll see less and less cartoons, even on cartoon channels.

I feel the same way with syndication. If it wasn't for the FCC regulations on educational TV per week, they wouldn't have kids programming at all, and we'd see even more of the same Judge shows I get red just thinking about.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
You know what i hate about cartoon network? The advertise all their crap on boomerang. Yes, boomerang is owned buy cartoon network, and yes, they show older cartoons without commercials, but after the show is over, they spend 10 minutes advertising nothing but that "Fried Dynamite" and "Out of Jummy's Head". Their show lineup always confused me a bit too.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That crap? When I actually saw CN last month they pretty much exclusively advertised those moronic shows.