Fraggle Parents?

Pork

Reaction score
I think if they did start with the idea that fraggles came from eggs they must have abandoned it. Because in the episode "Wembly's Egg" he tells them that the egg has got a baby in it and nobody believes him they just laugh. So I don't think they come from eggs.

Erine81981

Reaction score
But you would have to think that they all at least had parents or a family and they grew up and moved to another part of the rock. In the "Workin Workin" song Gobo talks about his mom asking him to bring home pick ice cream. So you at least have to think they all had families and or parents. I think that Gobo's uncle Matt was there because Gobo went to stay with him for a while and then when Matt decited to leave he told Gobo to take his room and that's how Gobo and Wembley ended up together being there were freinds back in the day. I guess anyone can make up a story and all about how all five characters became friends or found each other. But i like to think they all had parents and they just moved to another part of the rock after a certain age.

Metacritter

Reaction score
Hi Mom!

My theory is that the parents are around, just not in the stories. Listen to Red as she hustles Mokey through the crowd of Poobahs on the way to the trial. In among the generic outta-the-way-comin'-through patter she says "Hi Mom!"

Ok, it's prolly just a tossed off improv and I've just revealed that I watch Fraggle Rock way too much, but eh. :smile:

Convincing John

Reaction score
My theory is that the parents are around, just not in the stories. Listen to Red as she hustles Mokey through the crowd of Poobahs on the way to the trial. In among the generic outta-the-way-comin'-through patter she says "Hi Mom!"
Well, Karen Prell would have the only answer to that! Maybe Karen was saying hi to her mom (like a Carol Burnett tug-at-the-ear type of thing) although Karen had to take a different approach, since Red has no earlobes.:stick_out_tongue:

Ok, it's prolly just a tossed off improv and I've just revealed that I watch Fraggle Rock way too much, but eh. :smile:
Nonsense! In my book you can't watch enough Fraggle Rock. I'll have to look up that Poobahs episode again.

Convincing John

Beauregard

Reaction score
I have always loved the theory that they were hatched from eggs in a sort-of 'communal' egg hatching pool, and then were brought up by the community, rather than having specific parents.

Perhaps Uncle Matt is an affectionate term?

Bea:zany:{In other news, my sister is going to have a baby, then I will be called Uncle Matt!}regard

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I have always loved the theory that they were hatched from eggs in a sort-of 'communal' egg hatching pool, and then were brought up by the community, rather than having specific parents.

Perhaps Uncle Matt is an affectionate term?

Bea:zany:{In other news, my sister is going to have a baby, then I will be called Uncle Matt!}regard
Actually, I can understand that theory; it does make sense based on what we've seen. Part of me feels weird about it too, probably just because it's not "normal" to me. But that's what Fraggle is all about right? Lol

My opinion is that "Uncle" Matt isn't an affectionate term, just because Matt also had an Uncle Gobo that looked a little like Gobo Jr. That's too much of a coincidence.

Congrats on the new baby! :smile:

Beauregard

Reaction score
Of course if that was so, it raises the question of whether Matt was actually his uncle at all....

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Of course if that was so, it raises the question of whether Matt was actually his uncle at all....
It could be that saying that when you adore someone, you name one of the next generations after them, and so, considering she probably considered Matt one of her closest relatives and that Matt was enamored with his Uncle Gobo, Gobo's mom named her son after the original explorer who started the Matt and Gobo legacy.

Collgoff

Reaction score
I still prefer to think fraggles are born like people are. I thought I read once that the writers toyed with the idea of having an egg fall into the fraggle pond that hatched a fraggle. Dunno how true that is... but then, that did happen in " Wembley's Egg "... 'cept a bird came outta the egg. :smirk:
That was a hint when the storyteller fraggle said that some fraggle was hatched.

Collgoff

Reaction score
Yep. In the "Terrible Tunnel" episode. She says: "The famous Fedora Fraggle was first hatched in..." then Wembley cuts her off to request the tale of the Terrible Tunnel. You have to be quick to catch it, but it's there.

It was toyed with in the beginnings of the show that Fraggles came from eggs. Though many mammals (assuming Fraggles are mammals) don't lay eggs, there are exceptions. (The platypus for example).

Convincing John
We didn't hear her say that!