Painful Classic Moments

Drtooth

Reaction score
We have this thread in Fraggle Rock and Classic muppets, so I thought I'd put it here. Now I stress the word classic as it pretains to classic Sesame Street, and nothing from the 90's on, since that would be too easy. We'd probably have everyone just write "Elmo's World" over and over. So this is for just those classic pre90's moments....

I think the Larry and Phylis segment from the second or third season was hard to watch. I've only seen the one on the Old School set. And it was annoying. How they can't sing and Larry could only groan and Phylis could only Beep. That was tough to watch.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I agree, I liked Larry and Philis as people, but the skit was slightly annoying. Lol

That Solomon Grundy thing, it makes ME feel dirty! lol

Drtooth

Reaction score
I agree, I liked Larry and Philis as people, but the skit was slightly annoying. Lol
I will say, i did like the Buddy and Jim segment. But it seems like those live action comedy teams were a place filler for more muppet characters.

I also gotta add the "fireman" and "Hey Cow I see you now" were just painful because they were unintentionally funny, and had me rolling on the floor.

then of course there was the classic music with filmed footage of growing flowers segment that had me banging my head on the floor waiting for the skit to end and something exciting to happen.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I agree, "Hey Cow" was unintentionally hilarious, lol.

"Milk...did you ever wonder where it comes from?"

No...

Hehehe

But I refuse to call it painful since it reminds me of all the life actions SS skits of my childhood. :smile:

mikebennidict

Reaction score
I will say, i did like the Buddy and Jim segment. But it seems like those live action comedy teams were a place filler for more muppet characters.

I also gotta add the "fireman" and "Hey Cow I see you now" were just painful because they were unintentionally funny, and had me rolling on the floor.

then of course there was the classic music with filmed footage of growing flowers segment that had me banging my head on the floor waiting for the skit to end and something exciting to happen.
Painful?

I mean if you don't like them, then that's fine.

But what's so painful about them.

Must we be so dramatic about such stuff that's supposed show how people do their jobs or how a product gets made?

Drtooth

Reaction score
What's the anger for? :wink:

I'm just saying that music they use for it is pretty... well... odd and minimalistic. It makes it funnier than it should be.

PiLfan

Reaction score

LOL...I've noticed that, while we're all fans of the classic clips from early SS (hence, why we're here), there's an interesting diversity over clip preference.

I love the long, tranquil segments with the soft/lullaby or classical music (Hey Cow, Fireman, Vivaldi's crying flower, 2 dolls in a little doll house, Washing film with Bach's "Gavotte", etc)....but can see why some may not. On the flip side, I was never big on the Tiny little super guy bits and I'm not as fond of the Baker or pinball skits as many others are (still dig them though). :smirk:

Drtooth

Reaction score
The flowers in the rain bring bad horrible memories of waiting forever to see Ernie and Bert, or Grover, or the letter G is the first letter in the word "Giggle". It was ghastly DULL! I'm surprised it didn't test poorly. I could see kids getting fidgety during the segments. it wasn't as fun as Kids on the farm picking and packing peas or a trip to the Crayon factory (some of my favorites).

I also didn't like the loud sound effects on the Newsflash about Hickory Dickory Dock, when the Hourse smashed the clock.

CBPuppets

Reaction score
I have three words for you

-I'm a Bookworm baby (it was too much for a guy of my own standards)

PiLfan

Reaction score
I also didn't like the loud sound effects on the Newsflash about Hickory Dickory Dock, when the Hourse smashed the clock.
yeah...i remember the loud sound effects and the damaged clock bonging in a menacing fashion...scared me almost as much as the Bob/Luis skit with the oncoming train. :eek:

as for the Vivaldi/flower film...don't know why, but it ranks right up there as one of my all time favorite SS clips...ever. hard to explain why.