Master Replicas Gonzo Photo Puppet

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeanneRivett

Reaction score
To be honest, I'm just grateful that someone decided to manufacture these in the first place.

Ever since I was a little girl I've always wanted my own real Muppets, and now, at err 32 in a week, I can. I remember writing to Jim'll fix it on several occasions, with no success, asking to meet the Muppets. Their whimsical charm and charismatic outlook on the world has always made me feel good about myself.

To have my own real collection rather than my much loved fisher price rag doll collection makes me overjoyed despite what my boyfriend says. The fact what we now have the opportunity to own a piece of what Jim Henson originally created them for: The Lovers, the Dreamers and You.

It makes me happy that I have finally found, my own Rainbow Connection. God bless you Jim and thank you for your legacy.

Leanne

muppetperson

Reaction score
Yes, but if Jim Henson was still around and had control, we wouldnt be having these photo puppets for "legal" reasons, which arent a problem with Disney.

Ignohippo

Reaction score
My concern (from working with Palisades) is that the approval process is so slow with Disney that a product will get initial approval from disney and then adjustments can't be made from that point on because it takes too long to go back through the approval process.

I don't think it's so much the lousy proto pics that have us so worried – it's the lack of info. The pictures from MR of Kermit and Animal still look terrible but we know they look much better in person. For me, MR has my $300, so (to some extent) I think that entitles me to know what the item that I've purchased will look like.

And I also want to see this line survive, so the lack of communication from a Marketing standpoint really doesn't make much sense in my opinion.

Luke

Reaction score
Like Amy said one night. This is why they do not like to put out there prototype pictures out too soon cause everyone believes that this is what they are going to get when it has not been finalized by the licensees. And I agree with her in that respect. I only hope that they do put out the final pitcures so we can all breath and hope for the best.
Just to point out we are not "lucky" that they release proto pictures and they are not doing us any kind of "favor". The whole reason they put out proto pictures is to get the pre-orders in and market the line somewhat. It was the same with Palisades only they delivered in the communication area way better most of the time. I always laugh when i hear companies start to hint at taking away preview pictures when things don't look good for them yet when they have a great product they can't wait to release them. I agree really that they should just make the thing and then show pictures and sell it, but nowadays to even break even on these kind of speciality products they need a few months of pre-sales before they even go the last step and push the button on the production line.

Reevz1977

Reaction score
I agree that we are lucky that these are being produced but as I've stated before, it's unlikely that something like this will ever be done again so I for one want MR to get it right. Gonzo doesn't just require a better pose. The defining characteristic of Gonzo (his nose) is waaaaaay off. What is being shown is really an unacceptable 'replica'.

I agree with all the comments that it would just be nice to hear something from MR themselves to reassure us (their target market) that they are addressing our concerns and stop all the anxiety and speculation. Surely that would work in their favour as pre-orders would go up?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Ignohippo said:
My concern (from working with Palisades) is that the approval process is so slow with Disney that a product will get initial approval from disney and then adjustments can't be made from that point on because it takes too long to go back through the approval process.

I don't think it's so much the lousy proto pics that have us so worried – it's the lack of info. The pictures from MR of Kermit and Animal still look terrible but we know they look much better in person. For me, MR has my $300, so (to some extent) I think that entitles me to know what the item that I've purchased will look like.

And I also want to see this line survive, so the lack of communication from a Marketing standpoint really doesn't make much sense in my opinion.
You're exactly right. Even if the approval process were streamlined the changes could delay manufacturing and distribution for several months. There are rare occasions when that isn't a factor. Disney's approval process can be schizophrenic. Sometimes they rubber-stamp things that require more inspection, at other times they drag their feet on "no-brainer" alterations. I also think they are married to the idea of assigning print PMS colors, intended to be used in print media and cartoon representations, on these real life replicas. It's not that Disney doesn't get the Muppets in this case. I don't think they get puppets in general. :zany:

Luke said:
Just to point out we are not "lucky" that they release proto pictures and they are not doing us any kind of "favor". The whole reason they put out proto pictures is to get the pre-orders in and market the line somewhat. It was the same with Palisades only they delivered in the communication area way better most of the time. I always laugh when i hear companies start to hint at taking away preview pictures when things don't look good for them yet when they have a great product they can't wait to release them. I agree really that they should just make the thing and then show pictures and sell it, but nowadays to even break even on these kind of speciality products they need a few months of pre-sales before they even go the last step and push the button on the production line.
Well said. This is undoubtedly a magnificent product, but I think something important is being forgotten. We are still customers. Their product could not exist for long without us. We're somewhat crazy people for wanting these life sized Muppets in the first place, but we're the market. That being said, I can understand and agree with creating a comfortable distance between all of us fantastic types and internal information. Palisades did that a little too, but were a rarity among peers. Their input process, although sometimes criticized, was unique and really worked to make a better product.

I sometimes feel that MR would like to cherry pick the public feedback about their product, but that's really not how it works in the collectibles market. You'll get the Kool-Aid drinkers, unsatisfied wingnuts and thoughtful fans with good suggestions put out there. That's how it goes. Nonetheless, this dialog is paramount to this sort of product.

We aren't lucky to be getting anything if we're paying for it. It is beyond cool these items were green-lit into production, but now that they are MR has a responsibility in living up to Henson's Muppet legacy. So far with Animal and Kermit they've done a stellar job! The representational photographs on their site are inexcusably atrocious and nobody seems interested in changing that. There must be something else going on - apathy, haste, thinly-spread graphics or marketing department? All I know is that we're pretty much in the dark. That leads to these long diatribes by concerned fans. These sometimes can be useful in keeping a brand or product in the minds of consumers, but in this case it appears to be growing into negative buzz. :eek:

I find it a little presumptuous to say that we the fans and consumers should either cheerlead or sit quietly and wait for whatever approved crumbs to be leaked - and then still temper remarks because the approved photos are poorly taken. This buzz can be fixed and with little time or effort, but it would have to come from the MR side. They are a great bunch of people and I'm sure everyone here would like to hear from them. A real update is past due.

Certainly the point could be given that no company has responsibility to provide any update information, but that would be poor customer relations. This is a specialty product in a specialty market. Such updates are vital to success. In all honesty I'm feeling that things like the Gonzo jacket color hasn't really been altered, or at least much, since its convention photographs and I don't think it's a creative decision. There's likely a time, money or licensor factor at play. Ken Lilly really had a way of politicking around things. That is one of his greatest underappreciated talents!

I feel that MR would be greatly helped by listening to a few ideas from fans. Ideas can sound critical, but Palisades was never scared of that. I say this because there's a lot of evidence supporting the idea that there's a void between Terry Angus' beautiful prototypes and notes and the manufacturing process. Wish I knew more about puppet building, but many talented people on the Muppet Central Forum do. It should not have taken so long to resolve this nose issue. The sock thing should have been stripped away as being the completely wrong way to go from the start.

I just want to hear some news. It's easier to believe the worst when all we've had to go by is horrible prototype photographs and confirmation of incorrect clothing color. :concern:

MuppetCaper

Reaction score
Well, sometimes, you can't always get what you want. You can be demanding or just deal with it. Just cause they are prototypes does not mean it is the end of the world. I have done production work and I know how the business goes. That's why I agree that showing something that is not even produced or has gone through the treacherous role of licenses approval is just not right. you see the proto's then go.....WOW! then it goes from there and the critiquing or nervousness of the item is not right. Not knowing what is going on behind the scenes as this is all going on. When I worked in production, we where only allowed to anounce what is coming out, and not allowed to show the prototypes due to the licesnees approval first. We where affraid that fans and customers where not going to understand that there is a lot of work to be done on this and this is not the final product. Sometimes waiting is the best for things like this. I would love to see Gonzo come out and be just as good as if not better than Animal so we all could be happy with him. You know how it goes here. We did it with Kermit and Animal, it should only be fair that Gonzo and Fozzie gets there turn.

Speaking of new news Amy just posted this on the MR forum, this might help:

The only thing I have info on is Gonzo and it is good news! They should be done with production in the next two weeks and then they will get on the water and should be to us in February!
So time will only tell and it is not too far. :concern:

muppetperson

Reaction score
We are "lucky" to be getting these photo puppets and they are doing us a favor because we want them.Forget about the business side of things! we all need money, that is how we work and live.most people have to do something to earn a living, as do companies.Master replicas dont HAVE to make them.There are plenty of other licences.Some of the people at MR are Muppet fans themselves, such as Kevin who started the line, and Trevor.That being said, MR are not doing this just for the money.They are listening to us(remember how Kevin kept showing us Kermit developements and asked for our feedback, and on Animal, how we wanted more moustache feathers and making the photo puppets out of more durable materials because they want us to have something that will last) Yes, lack of communication is annoying, but I would say that it is because they dont have the number of Staff to do so, which makes them busy.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I just don't see why creative criticisms continually make a few forum members so uncomfortable.

I mean, Muppet Caper, until you started seeking out a little more exclusive inside information than the rest of us you were one of the most vocal critics. :wink: Has this been forgotten? Has George Lucas come in and made some weird edits I don’t know about? He he.

Sure, I could get more insider info on the DL than I have, but feel it's better that everybody share the information. It's okay to get personal updates on items, but don't discount that when you were in the situation that many other members are you were singing a different tune.

It's great that MR has a few such solid supporters and they’ve made such great product with the Muppets so far. I support this Gonzo regardless of how it turns out. He’s my favorite Muppet! But every time someone makes a comment that doesn't put the company or product in a glowing light, the same few members descend upon them as if they'd kicked a puppy for the heck of it. :sympathy:

Please allow members to voice their opinions frustrations and critiques without being met with the same continuous mantra that they - are somehow wrong, uninformed, impatient or disrespectful.

I feel substantive conversation is being quashed in favor of company loyalty. You guys are very sharp and talented. So are many of the other forum members and they have voices too! I like hearing from everyone – the good, the bad and those with whom I disagree.

We are lucky these are being made and the ones so far look as they do. We are lucky that some of the company’s folk are fans. So far the customer service has been inconsistent. This is likely due to a small staff and this being one of many products. It’s about time we hear something. My guess is that if it is shipping soon that none of the points we made could have been incorporated. If the Gonzo I purchase doesn’t look so hot, I hope the company will have more feedback exchange with fans. :concern:

Status
Not open for further replies.