Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Old School Volume 2

ploobis

Reaction score
I actually noticed something that I don't think anyone has pointed out yet. "Here is Your Life" and "Super Grover" in the Season 6 cuts have the more modern, updated intros. I wonder why they did that. And I noticed that on the "Subway" song, for some reason, there was like a "cracking" sound every time they sang the word "subway." And this is the first time I've ever seen the steering wheel closing, and I have to say it was pretty good.
I'm glad you noticed the modern Super Grover opening! I have no idea why they did that either? :confused:

BillyKal

Reaction score
Question:

One thing I noticed during the first episode of the 3rd disc....during that episode ...the segment where Maria and Linda are both dressed like Charlie Chaplin miming the same things -- as if they are looking in the mirror...

I don't remember there being music to that segment. I thought it was all silent originally.

Anyone else notice this or is it me?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I actually noticed something that I don't think anyone has pointed out yet. "Here is Your Life" and "Super Grover" in the Season 6 cuts have the more modern, updated intros. I wonder why they did that. And I noticed that on the "Subway" song, for some reason, there was like a "cracking" sound every time they sang the word "subway." And this is the first time I've ever seen the steering wheel closing, and I have to say it was pretty good.
I think that the bonus Sesame Street News segment also had an updated opening, instead of the season 6 opening.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
It's great that one page has a salute to Jon Stone, but it would have been great if more salutes were also given. There were many people who were involved with the show back then who have died, including Northern Galloway, Will Lee, Chet O'Brien, Richard Hunt, Joe Raps, Jeff Moss, and of course Jim Henson (and possibly among other). It's also a shame that there was no tribute or even dedication to Jim Thurman, who voiced Bob on last year's set.
Don't forget to mention Norman styles.

However, as far as the original relationship, I have to say I have heard in the past that one of the reasons Maria and David's relationship was dropped in the first place was because some viewers objected to it and wanted Maria to be with Luis instead. At least that's what a friend told me she had read a long time ago. It's just one theory and I doubt we'll ever know the truth for sure. But it's not impossible unfortunately.
Actually, I believe that the falling in love of Maria and Luis might have actually have been planed around the birth of Sonia Manzano and her real life husbands daughter. I know that they didn't want her to have to be ad sent from the show or to look pregnant and have it look awkward to audiences when watching the show. Sonia actually wrote the nine month scripts for the penance episodes. I think it happend abut a yeah after the wedding episode. But of course The real Gaby was already born before she was on the show. Here's a little story Sonia wrote about why her daughter did not want to be on the show any more. I wonder why Rosco Orman's real life son didn't want to do the show anymore as well?

http://www.sesameworkshop.org/parents/advice/article.php?contentId=108946&

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I just got the set and im fixing to watch the first DVD cant wait.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Since this set seems to have included newer openings for Sesame Street News, The Adventures of Super Grover, and Here is Your Life in the bonus features, I wonder if the next set will include one of the later Monsterpeice Theater openings instead of the original, if any Monsterpeice Theater segments are included. I also wonder if they will include the original Alistar Cookie scenes or the remade ones, which don't include his pipe. Hopefully, any epsidoes included which feature Monsterpeice Theater sketches will include whatever versions were originally included in the broadcasts of those epsiodes, and not be replaced with the newer versions.

Then again, does anybody know if the Alistar Cookie scenes from Me, Claudias were replaced? I would be surprised if that segment was shown after Alistar Cookie's pipe was removed, since Elmo had a different voice there. Of course, I have read that the sketch did appear in a 1987 episode, though I don't know when the pipe was removed, or when the introductions and closings were replaced.

ssetta

Reaction score
I think the pipe was removed sometime in the early '90s, but all of the intros for Super Grover and MPT changed in 1992. The 1992 MPT opening was the camera pan over the library. But it was re-done again in 1995, with just a green curtain that said "Monsterpiece Theater" on it. I wonder if they'll even include THAT!

If you remember, on Old School Vol. 1, there was a Super Grover sketch from Season 5 with the telephone. That one DID have the original intro, but I think that's because it was never made with the newer one. I think that's also true with some of the Monsterpiece Theater sketches.

But I think what happens here is, usually they refer to the "Master Tape", which I think is usually updated. That's what happened with the "Alphabet Soup" animation from Season 1.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
If it's true that the master tapes get updated, then let's hope that the original versions don't get lost forever. On Old School Volume 1, the Sesame Street News segment had the original title card, and the Old School Volume 2 release of the Humpty Dumpty sketch includes the 1970s black and white logo. And I only remember seeing updated logos on those sketches.

Hopefully, Sesame Workshop won't object to Alistar Cookie's pipe on a commercial release. And if they do, maybe the original versions can still be included as easter eggs.