Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
I feel Burton's Wonka was missing something too. I felt at arm's length - more viewer than immersed participant. That's the opposite I felt with Edward Scissorhands. That film reached me on many levels. I'd say Burton's best. We'll see what Sweeney Todd offers. :concern:

I saw Bee Movie yesterday and have to say that I enjoyed Mr. Magorium more. Bee wasn't a bad film, but all over the place and not particularly interesting. Beeeautiful animation and a few good performances. I liked Seinfeld's Bee expressions. :big_grin:

:attitude: I admit, Magorium is a theatrically released TV movie, but it is better than some of the stuff out there...well, until today. Expect Enchanted to take off in a huge way. That film's going to hit all green lights all the way to the bank! Magorium will vanish quickly and likely unnoticed.
It's funny all those movies coming out are pretty much ripp offs of other movies...That one with the polarbears looks like such a Narnia ripp off.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
I just got back from Enchanted (great movie!) and I snuck into Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium afterward (shhhhh!). Oh my freaking god, what a terrible movie. It just dragged and dragged. :smile: was the best part of course and that part actually was somewhat funny. But I walked out of that crapfest as soon as the frog came and went. Does he appear at all the film besides the one scene where all the kids are amazed by him and he says "Just shopping"? I walked out right after that. Oy, the things we Muppet fans have to suffer through. :rolleyes:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I just got back from Enchanted (great movie!) and I snuck into Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium afterward (shhhhh!). Oh my freaking god, what a terrible movie. It just dragged and dragged. :smile: was the best part of course and that part actually was somewhat funny. But I walked out of that crapfest as soon as the frog came and went. Does he appear at all the film besides the one scene where all the kids are amazed by him and he says "Just shopping"? I walked out right after that. Oy, the things we Muppet fans have to suffer through.
I saw it too. It wasn't the best film, but I did enjoy the slower pace and less reliance on the usual expected eyeball-grabbing found in such films. You walked out in the first few minutes of the film? That's when Kermit appears. So about ten or twelve minutes of the film dragged and dragged for you or did you sit through the end of one cycle and then the beginning of another?

It's funny all those movies coming out are pretty much ripp offs of other movies...That one with the polarbears looks like such a Narnia ripp off.
Funny you should say that. The author, reportedly, wrote the books as a sort-of anti-Narnia. It's supposedly subtle in the first book of the trilogy, but there is an eventual attack on this particular world's theocratic government. There is a very big movement against it (as you can imagine). The book's sentiment went largely unnoticed until being made into a motion picture. It peeks my interest, but that is in no way an endorsement. I'll see it and report my finding later. :confused:

An original idea in movies and television? And all this celluloid gold was made before the writer's strike. He he. :eek:

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
You walked out in the first few minutes of the film? That's when Kermit appears. So about ten or twelve minutes of the film dragged and dragged for you or did you sit through the end of one cycle and then the beginning of another?
Kermit was the only reason I snuck into Magorium's after I saw Enchanted and I left as soon as Kermit's scene was over (I came to see what I wanted to see I didn't need to see anymore), those first ten or twelve minutes felt more like a half hour to me, maybe because it was late at night or me just getting impatient and waiting for Kermit to appear so I could leave, it was just such a painful movie to sit through. It got me to chuckle once when Kermit wasn't on screen (the fish mobile) but I found those 12 minutes very stale and dull. Enchanted's whole 107 minutes were better than the 12 minutes I sat through Mr. Magorium's. Man... :rolleyes:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Funny you should say that. The author, reportedly, wrote the books as a sort-of anti-Narnia.
Are you referring to the Golden Compass? I have been hearing that it's a bit anti-Christian. Which basically equals anti-Narnia. I'm not suprised, the cool thing to be right now is anti-Christian, even if it comprises so much of your viewing audience.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Are you referring to the Golden Compass? I have been hearing that it's a bit anti-Christian. Which basically equals anti-Narnia. I'm not suprised, the cool thing to be right now is anti-Christian, even if it comprises so much of your viewing audience.
That's the part I'm uncertain of. There has been a swift knee-jerk reaction to this film while the award-winning books have been around for a while. I have not been exposed to either or actually seen enough about the author's intention in context. So far I am under the impression that the spirit of the book is anti-theocracy rather than anti-theology. I'm reserving judgement.

Christians are seen as the "big fish" in the English-speaking sections of the world and as such by that nature (popularity rather than actual belief) it is often attacked just as the popular kids at school or idolized celebrities in our culture. Such attacks really are unjustified on that criteria and often go unnoticed. That said, I'm still not sure if this is one of them.

I tend to give people and things, such as projects, a fair shake. I like to see things for my own eyes before judgement. That means in their entirety and not just ten minutes after the opening credits. :wink: From Passion to Last Temptation. And I see value and potential in even my least favorite things. I see that as a distinct part of being a good artist - to see the beauty in what is ugly and beneath the vaneer in what is considered to be beautiful. :excited:

I really do wonder what will happen once this film comes out. Magorium, Enchanted, Chipmunks, Golden Compass - there really aren't as many family-friendly films this season as their ought to be. :smirk:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Christians are seen as the "big fish" in the English-speaking sections of the world and as such by that nature (popularity rather than actual belief) it is often attacked just as the popular kids at school or idolized celebrities in our culture. Such attacks really are unjustified on that criteria and often go unnoticed. That said, I'm still not sure if this is one of them.
I agree, we naturally want to tear down the big powerful fish. I do understand that. But I think we also need to understand that the world is a complicated place and we should not judge a whole people based on the actions of a few. :smile:

I tend to give people and things, such as projects, a fair shake.
I know, I do want to be fair and see the film first before judging it. It's just that I've seen these attacks happen so many times, and very few people have spoken up. It's difficult.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
The Golden Compass Controversy.

It appears that more and more these days there are no shades in the spectrum of opinion or debate - only the stark extremes. I tend to pull for the underdog, but I refuse to buy into anything hook, line and sinker. It is so easy to hear a few words, without confirming the accuracy of the source, and reacting to it.

I have many friends who are pulling for the Golden Compass motion picture in taking an (unconfirmed) atheistic stance while other Christians in my life are boycotting. Neither really knows the full story. Heck, I'd see 90% of the films out there if I could. I love movies and the movie-going experience in general. That is not to say I enjoy each individual film, rather that I enjoy giving them a chance. Anyway, here's a link to a thread already out there that I will bump that speaks about the Golden Compass. I'll republish this post there as well.

Link Here to the Golden Compass Thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
Now that this is on DVD, you may expect to see the clip on Youtube sometime in the near future.

The 11th UrRu

Reaction score
I really enjoyed this, not a 5 star movie but a good, creative family film.