Another TV Land Outrage!

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
I agree that Popeye (1980) is a very underrated film. Although it contains director Robert Altman's trademarks (such as overlapping dialogue and an ensemble cast), the film was a box office failure that broke Altman's nearly ten-year cycle of critically-acclaimed films, including M*A*S*H, his modern-day adaptation of Raymond Chandler's The Long Goodbye (my favorite Altman film) and Nashville. It wasn't until The Player, in 1992, that Altman really regained his footing, after directing some interesting work for television in the 1980s.

I admire Popeye because cartoonist Jules Feiffer, who wrote the screenplay, stuck very close to Popeye creator Elzie Segar's universe and characters from Thimble Theater. Thus, characters such as Olive's brother Castor Oyl, and her boyfriend Ham Gravy (played by the great mime Bill Irwin) make appearances. The songs are by the wonderful Harry Nilsson, who, by this time, had virtually stopped releasing albums. Interestingly, the actors sang "live" on the set (as opposed to dubbing a pre-recorded track), to give the film a more authentic feel.

The film was shot in Malta, where the fictional town of Sweethaven was built. In fact, the set still stands to this day, and is now a family amusement park, known as "Popeye Village." The village includes a museum, rides, actual props from the film and characters from the Popeye universe.

Dustin Hoffman was originally approached to play Popeye, while Gilda Radner and Lily Tomlin were candidates for Olive Oyl. Hoffman left the film, and Robin Williams was cast; Altman rejected both Radner and Tomlin, in favor of Shelley Duvall, who had appeared in six previous films for the director.

Anyway...to get to the topic...

It IS too bad that TV Land is now getting more modern shows, just like Nick at Night. Nick at Night had the cream of the classic TV crop for years, before many of these shows ended up on TV Land. Mr. Ed, Car 54 Where Are You? The Dick Van Dyke Show, The Donna Reed Show, Green Acres, The Patty Duke Show, I Love Lucy, The Monkees, All In the Family, Three's Company and Taxi. The live-action Dennis the Menace sitcom was also a staple of Nick, but was shown in the daytime.

For the longest time, we didn't have TV Land in my area, so when a Nick at Night show would depart for TV Land, we were left with more "modern" stuff, like Family Ties, The Cosby Show, Roseanne and Murphy Brown. Now that TV Land is available to us, we're still losing the classics from the 1950s to the 1970s, in favor of either "newer" sitcoms, specials made exclusively for the network, or movies.

For the longest time, my Fox affiliate showed I Love Lucy every weekday morning, from 9 to 10. Those days are long gone, replaced with talk shows or People's Court.

SSLFan

Reaction score
I am so glad to see TV Land showing a Three's Company Mini-Marathon today! I was so surprised! I just wish they didn't come on so late like they normally do...

wwfpooh

Reaction score
I am so glad to see TV Land showing a Three's Company Mini-Marathon today! I was so surprised! I just wish they didn't come on so late like they normally do...
Three's Company is actually one of the classics still haphazardly airing and so, a marathon of it is not a surprise.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
This is what happens to good ideas on television. Once they go through a few different exectutives the original intent is entirely lost even if the name is still stamped on the line-up. :mad: <---angry Piggy

And, of course, what can be done on the cheap to get ratings is usually done. All the reality television (and I include all the incarnations of Home Makeover) demonstrates that there is no shame in television ethics. Well, poor ratings. :stick_out_tongue:

wwfpooh

Reaction score
In Hollywood--which includes the TV world--nothing is sacred.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
That is where you are wrong. There actually is one thing that is sacred
Reminds me how in Dodgeball, White tries to buy out Peter's gym by offering him a hundred thousand dollars, and he says "you've probably only seen that much money in the movies, but I assure there's something lost in translation", and they open up the briefcase, and there's just a little stack on one hundred $1,000 bills.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Well, money doesn't count, because the dollar is losing its value, and because the overall of money just for greedy purposes is part of the root of evil.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Money is paper. Evil comes from the bad nature in people. Especially people with money. Maybe we should give all the money to the monkeys. :wink:

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Money is paper. Evil comes from the bad nature in people. Especially people with money. Maybe we should give all the money to the monkeys. :wink:
:big_grin: The real-life Scrooges of the world could stand to learn a thing or two about respect, humility, and TLC (tender, loving care) and so, what can we do to get their Grinch-like hearts that are several sizes too small to grow enough to help out all?