Dark Crystal sequel may be headed to DVD

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah I think we mostly all agree. CGI should be used to help a movie, but not take over. Ultimately audiences prefer a good story. George Lucas even said in an article that he concentrated too much on the special effects for the Star Wars prequals and not enough on the story.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I think we may be jumping the gun a little bit, especially considering the Nicole Goldman quote I linked to above. Here's the bit I keep mulling over:

"A project of this scale takes a lot of time and energy and we continue to work through the development phase, maintaining our original vision of a film for theatrical release
I have been wondering about that quote myself. It's a little confusing the way they wrote it. It could mean they are still hoping for a theatrical release. Or it could be they will try to make sure the DVD is theatrical quality.

However, to me, if they are saying they are just in the development phase, and then that they are maintaining their original vision, then it sounds to me like they are still hoping for a threatrical release. But they can't guarantee it.

dabauckham

Reaction score
I have been wondering about that quote myself. It's a little confusing the way they wrote it. It could mean they are still hoping for a theatrical release. Or it could be they will try to make sure the DVD is theatrical quality.

However, to me, if they are saying they are just in the development phase, and then that they are maintaining their original vision, then it sounds to me like they are still hoping for a threatrical release. But they can't guarantee it.
Yes, that seems to make sense. Here's hoping for the best... :halo:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah I mean I really don't know what the intention was in the statement. All we can do is hope.

JMPrater

Reaction score
And all they can continue to do it seems [Genndy, Henson & Co.] os stay silent, essentially SNUBBING the enormous fanbase this film already has.

J.M. Prater

froggiegirl18

Reaction score
Okay I can't stand it anymore. I have to say something. The muppets have not lost their magic. The puppeteers are doing all they can to keep the magic alive. You try working with someone for years who was not only the head but probably a really good friend to the ones working for him, and then suddenly without warning he's gone. How would you feel? What would you do? I think the performers and the company are doing a wonderful job in keeping the memory of Jim alive and doing all they can to keep the dream moving foreward. As for the movie coming to dvd. I think it's a very wise move, because lets all face it if the first one did not do great at the box office the second one would probably not do well either. It is disappointing to not be able to see it on the big screen but like someone said earlier on here, at least it's coming out at all. What we can do as fans is let word of mouth travel by sending e-mails to friends, posting on websites, whatever so that sells can be good and that we can let them know that Jim's fans are still behind the dream. Hopefully not getting my hopes up, but I loved the Star Wars "Clone Wars". The director is a wonderful story teller and has an eye for detail. Not only that but they got Brian Froud who came up with the design of the characters for the first film, so we know it's going to look good. Have faith people come on and spread the word even before it hits the shelves!

JMPrater

Reaction score
I wonder what a Steven Spielberg film would be like if he died and didn't direct it, yet it was called "a film by Steven Spielberg"?

That's the problem. Jim Henson died, tragically, unexpectedly. Jim Henson was the pivot point, and without him we have talented puppeteers, but that's about it. You can't have the magic without the magician.

In terms of the new dark crystal sequel, the magic of the first film came from Henson. I am overjoyed about this sequel, but far more cynical about the wraps it's been under. Jim Henson was always about transparency, and inviting others in to catch a whif of his vision. This has yet to happen.

It's like this sequel is being filmed in the communist era Russia with armed guard. Ah well, I suppose it's par for the course absent of a magician.

J.M. Prater

stephenjlizard

Reaction score
I don't know if I'd go to those lengths, JMPrater. While I'll admit that I don't like the secrecy any more than you do, this is an "in-development" project, and in-development projects are always kept very tightly under wraps. In fact, 9 times out of 10, everyone involved has to sign non-disclosure agreements, so things don't get leaked out and ideas aren't compromised by others. Again, I don't like it, but I do understand the almost complete void of information we have around this project right now.

A few days ago I was just as mad as a lot of other people about the direct-to-DVD comment that popped up on that one website, but after thinking and talking with other fans on this board, it's apparent that all of this hype came from a couple short sentences on a non-official website. While I didn't receive any reassurances in one direction or the other from JHC, I still believe that anything that's been reported on this is rumor at best, and we all just have to wait until the production is farther along to get any real info.

stephenjlizard

Reaction score
And remember this also: Almost everyone who worked with Jim will tell you that the only way that they were able to continue with the Muppets after Jim died was that, in life, he showed them how. He worked closely with those around him to let them into his genius brain and show them his thought processes. I'll readily admit that there have been things released that could be called distinctly "un-Jim", but those in the old guard could never have hoped to continue, had Jim not taken the time and showed them the way.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
stephenjlizard said:
; I don't like the secrecy any more than you do, this is an "in-development" project, and in-development projects are always kept very tightly under wraps. In fact, 9 times out of 10, everyone involved has to sign non-disclosure agreements, so things don't get leaked out and ideas aren't compromised by others.
Exactly, most if not all movies are kept under wraps. It's perfectly normal. :smile: