The Brand New Ask Jim Lewis Thread

theprawncracker

Reaction score
It was just a simple question. I hope it didn't sound like too much though. :embarrassed:
I think it's worth asking. Maybe Jim can actually give us an answer. Don't know till you ask! :big_grin:

My question...

Hey there Jim! Did you help write any of the material for the Muppets when they were on The Nerdist Podcast yesterday? It was a fantastic interview with all of them and I really hope we start seeing more group interviews like that in the future.

unclematt

Reaction score
Jim,

When the Muppets appear on radio or podcasts do the performrs actually use the puppet? It just crosed my mind.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
these questions sound great! I wish i could think of one, Ryan you can send these off if you want to.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
these questions sound great! I wish i could think of one, Ryan you can send these off if you want to.
Thanks Dwayne! I'll send them off tomorrow to give people the rest of the day to ask 'em if they've got 'em!

haakonsmary

Reaction score
Hi Jim, did you write the character commentary for the Bohemian Rhapsody video, and did any performer improvisations make it into the commentary?

Also, I know we were all wishing Dave well with his shoulder surgery from a few months ago. So I just want to say we're still sending him the best and hope he'll be able to puppeteer again soon if he isn't already.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
ANSWERS FROM Jim Lewis – April 29

From zns…
Hello Mr. Lewis,

I have two questions I wasn't sure you would be able to answer:

1. Disney announced not long ago that the fourth season of the Muppet Show was scheduled to be released this year. Unfortunately, they have not even set a specific date yet. Do you know exactly when it will be specifically or is Disney still trying to work out issues in terms of copyright and such?

Excellent question and I have no answer. I, too, am awaiting season 4 …and season 5, but I have no inside info on when these will be released, or why they haven’t yet been released. A clear case where ignorance is not blissful, merely frustrating.

2. Craig Shemin had announced at a BAM event two years ago that Henson was planning to release the early works of the Muppets from the early years (50's, 60's, 70's I assume). Is that still in the works or not, or is it just the issue of having to negotiate between Henson and Disney?

Once again, a good reason we need an ASK CRAIG SHEMIN thread. He knows more than I…or is it me. Either way, I don’t know anything about this. So far, I’m batting 0-for-2 on these questions. Will I be sent down to the minors?

From theprawncracker…
Hey there Jim! Did you help write any of the material for the Muppets when they were on The Nerdist Podcast? It was a fantastic interview with all of them and I really hope we start seeing more group interviews like that in the future.

Ooh! Ooh! I can answer this one!....Yaaaaaaay!
Wait. I forget the question….

Yes! I did help, but as always I merely suggested notions, lines and attitudes; the performers made it a heavenly mash. I loved it, too. Also, it’s great when you have an enthusiastic and knowledgeable and playfully nonsensical interviewer.

From unclematt…
Jim,

When the Muppets appear on radio or podcasts do the performers actually use the puppet? It just crossed my mind.

No, they don’t. At least not when I’ve been in the room. Of course, when I leave the room who knows what they do.

From haakonsmary…
Hi Jim, did you write the character commentary for the Bohemian Rhapsody video, and did any performer improvisations make it into the commentary?

Yes, and yes. As with the podcast, I provided thoughts, gimcracks and gewgaws which were then woven into a tapestry of delicious nonsense.

Also, I know we were all wishing Dave well with his shoulder surgery from a few months ago. So I just want to say we're still sending him the best and hope he'll be able to puppeteer again soon if he isn't already.

I shall pass along your well wishes. Glad to say he can puppeteer now.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Great Answers as always Jim!

I'm also wondering about the idea for a comantray, and if we may be getting more muppet comantaries on say Muppet Show or Stufio DC almost live.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Hey Jim, on Muppets Tonight, was there are reason to keep the musical numbers so short? I think of some of the best ones are the ones uninterrupted by the backstage happenings, such as "The Coffee Song", "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" and others. "Tonight You Belong to Me" in the Paula Abdul show was such a great number, but it got cut short so quickly.

James Denny

Reaction score
Hey Jim,

Hope all is well. I'm thrilled that all the American Muppet fans will be getting to see the new movie on Christmas Day 2011. Is there any chance you can bribe someone on my behalf, or maybe casually drop the idea into a conversation wih some who has sway over these things that a Boxing Day (follwing day) release in the UK would be most appreciated. If the powers that be are unconvinced then remind them how crazy the U.K. went for Bo Rhap, or do i have to spend Christmas in New York thereby incurring the ire of my relatives?
I am of course aware that I'm asking the impossible of you, unless you are currently moonlighting as head guy in charge of New Muppet Movie Release Date as well as writing cool stuff for out favourite menagerie but hey I figured I'd give it a try,

All the Best,

James

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Hey Jim, on Muppets Tonight, was there are reason to keep the musical numbers so short? I think of some of the best ones are the ones uninterrupted by the backstage happenings, such as "The Coffee Song", "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" and others. "Tonight You Belong to Me" in the Paula Abdul show was such a great number, but it got cut short so quickly.
I feel like The Lion Sleeps Tonight did get cut short.