Just Received...

muppetperson

Reaction score
It says to allow 2 to 3 weeks for delivery, so they wouldnt have him yet.Wow, I still cant beleive he has almost reached the distribution centre.That wouldnt be possible, so looks like he has gone via plane than boat!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Agreed on most points there, except i think even casual fans would know there's something not right with that Gonzo in general. These are amazing replicas, and i am with you all the way on them publishing a group shot.

I'm glad they published Jamie's review, puts some nice pictures on the main site there.
I am so glad for the chance to write that review. And am surprised they actually used it! I'm slightly stunned and very honored.

made sure to "live with" Animal for several days before placing fingertips to keyboard. I didn't want to customize/alter the original product (I did permanent marker a seam), but allowed him to soften. Thus the review reflects the real deal.

Since then I have customized a collar and trimmed a could hairs, but that's about it. Here's a new totally unretouched photo of how this bad boy looks. I just snapped these and stuck them on the web this moment. This is how he looks at my apartment right now.

I got to work a bit on Palisades later releases of the Animal figures so I've seen a lot of source materials on the furry fella and this product is as close as anyone's gonna get. I hope the same holds true for the "blue one".

I hope the MR people swap-out the Gonzo pictures on their page. I am not a professional photographer, but I am an artist in the Bay Area and can travel to snap some photos of Gonzo if need be. I know how to syle a product (and Muppet) and take a picture. I'll promise not to weirdo-nap him! It's a genuine offer, though I know it's highly unlikely to occur. Just offering. No matter who takes them or how I suspect that much of the issue on the Gonzo pictures are similar to Animal's. Even the most early stage prototype images can shine.

Still, I hope the nose looks good. That's going to be tough - especially since fans are looking extra hard to find any flaw. I just hope not to have to customize mine.

MuppetCaper

Reaction score
Amy said the only reason why they put that review on there website was they had a negotiation with MC to put it up on MR. I told her that I had mine that they asked me to do for MR, but I guess they didn't like it, oh well. It's my last one.

Also, I asked about the needing a photographer and they said that they where not looking for one at this time, but they might tell everyone different, who know's.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Amy said the only reason why they put that review on there website was they had a negotiation with MC to put it up on MR. I told her that I had mine that they asked me to do for MR, but I guess they didn't like it, oh well. It's my last one.

Also, I asked about the needing a photographer and they said that they where not looking for one at this time, but they might tell everyone different, who know's.
Hmm. I wasn’t privy to any information about MR and the review. It was an honest review from having purchased the product myself and writing it per request for Phillip at Muppet Central. It’s not an entirely glowing review. It sings the praises that the product easily deserves yet does not gloss over any discrepancies one bit. There has been no censorship of my article. It was filtered through the staff for grammatical purposes and resubmitted for my approval. That’s how these go. I had no idea they’d use it and don’t know if that information is entirely accurate, but either way it didn’t change the outcome of my thoughts. These two items from Master Replicas are the best Muppet products I have seen – period.

I have worked on Muppet product (including some Animal) with Palisades Toys from late 2002 to mid 2004 and seen actual Henson photos, designs and archived materials. They really didn’t keep the best records by the way. I always found that odd, but Jim Henson was focused more on the projects so it makes sense. I’ve seen pre-production photos of the actual Animal head-to-toe puppet used in “Muppets from Space” and let me tell you – he looks good on screen, but when plugged on a stick for reference photos he’s not that pretty. None of them are. Of course these aren’t the poser puppets.

Much knowledge was also derived from my 33+ years of being a Henson/Muppet fanatic. I was 5 years old when I saw “The Muppet Movie” in the theaters and remember everything about that day! I have seen every Muppet/Henson film in the theater except Elmo in “Grouchland” but that is due to my distaste for the red fella’s unchecked narcissism. I did watch the DVD a couple of times and “Swamp Years” too, unfortunately.

This post goes a long way just to say that I provided a very deliberate, well formed and comprehensive review of the product. I’m not a cheerleader, not a foe, not an insider to this particular company or release in any way. The review that is posted is my third attempt at writing one. The other two didn’t express exactly how I felt and were not even submitted for staff review.

That being said, you should still write reviews and perspectives on the product no matter where they are posted. The web, Muppet Central and Master Replicas is a community and there is no final word or final review. There’s no need for you to diminish anyone’s work. I’m still surprised my article was posted up there. The language isn’t always very kind, but it is accurate to my opinion. If I had a choice of a review for them to post it would be about Gonzo when he comes out. I hope he’s good. Fingers crossed. And there will be no doubt that my postings on the forum will come from an authentic place as fan and Gonzo fanatic. :concern:

Ignohippo

Reaction score
It seems odd to me that they would take the time to post a review ( even with as great as it is) on their site but wouldn't take the time to update the crappy photos on the same website.

Especially odd since this is a high dollar/low quantity item with very little marketing resources behind it.