Do you think of Sesame Street as a real street?

Beauregard

Reaction score
I know what you mean. It's like Carroll is someone who lives down the street form Oscar and Big Bird know. He might be a performer, but not of those tow.
He's kinda like their personal assistant, or aid. You can imagine him running to get Oscar's coffee for him in the mornings.

StreetScenes

Reaction score
Also, although Mapquest doesn't say it, my mother lived either on or near a Sesame Street in Florida when she was a kid/teen or something. I've seen it.
Out of curiosity (and sheer will to procrastinate), i searched google maps state by state and came up with 88 Sesame Streets in the U.S. and 9 in Canada. With that many choices, I should try to live on one of them sometime! Though one of the Florida ones is in a neighborhood of Ali Baba themed streets, most of these sesame streets seem to be new, like on the edges of developments, so most likely named after our favorite street. The one in Maine is next to Big Bird Street...which sounds slightly less cool to get to write on your envelopes...

AL: Dadeville
AK: Anchorage, North Pole, Juneau
AR: Lonsdale, Conway, White Hall
CA: Bakersfield, Torrance, San Diego, Madera, Chula Vista, Lake Forest, Nevada City, Shasta, Yuba, Paradise
CO: Aspen
FL: Middleburg, North Port, Opa-Locka, Palatka, Wewahitchka, Hudson, Miami, Sarasota, Palm Beach Gardens, Englewood
GA: Columbus
IL: Franklin Park
IN: Portland, Dillsboro
IA: Cherokee
KY: Morehead
ME: Skowhegan
MA: Middlesex, Bristol, Billerica, Tewksbury, Wakefield
MI: Oakland
MN: Rogers
MO: Camdenton
MT: Butte
NE: Fremont
NH: Keene, Raymond
NJ: Clarksboro, Camden
NM: Rio Arriba
NY: Old Chatham, Kings Park, Rock Tavern, Wurtsoro, Ithaca, Plattsburgh
NC: Waynesville
OH: Springboro, Dayton, Convoy, Cincinnati, Athens
PA: Bethlehem, Erie, Bloomsburg
RI: Westerly
SC: Florence, McColl, Walhalla, Laurens, Rocky Hill, Wagener
SD: Eagle Butte
TN: Blountville
TX: Paris, Houston, College Station, Dallas, Santa Fe, Lakehills, Austin, San Antonio
UT: Salt Lake City
VT: Randolph
VA: Richmond
WV: Mercer
WI: Stevens Point
WY: Worland

BC: Abbotsford
NS: Truro, Kentville, Yarmouth
ON: Orillia, Toronto, Cornwall, Mississauga,
PE: Summerside

StreetScenes

Reaction score
But to respond to the original question of the thread, I see it as a real street with altered laws of physics, hard to find but there somewhere in nyc. though ss appearances on tv are similar to tms appearances--all the muppets portray an awareness of being actors, and an ability (beyond their age/wisdom on the street) to play to grownup audiences, i still think of it as a real street, sort of reverse from tms model:

it's not that the muppets have lives we don't see and then they go to work & make the show, but rather that sesame street is where they live and kick back & be themselves, and they come out to perform for us as their jobs (talkshow appearances, murray and global grover segments, and how we see the muppeteers as well as the characters when we watch the show). the street we see on tv is the real place they all live & the show we see is how they are off camera.

my perception comes from intervews with the cast. i think it was sonia who said that she saw jim & frank express affection through bert & ernie that they would be uncomfortable expressing as themselves. sonia and bob both say the cast isn't acting, they're all actually like that in real life. so on the show you see real characters in bert and frank, maria and sonia, etc.

and then this made in ny panel last week was about production, and elmo & murray didn't come out to perform, they just came out for a photo after kevin and joey did the panel. it was almost like the monsters were the muppeteers' managers--i mean, if they didn't exist, kevin & joey wouldn't have been there, would they? so basically, i think of the human cast, muppeteers, and muppets doing all the promo stuff as their jobs, and the show is the five hours of their week we see when they're at home. that make sense? :wink:

Erine81981

Reaction score
But to respond to the original question of the thread, I see it as a real street with altered laws of physics, hard to find but there somewhere in nyc. though ss appearances on tv are similar to tms appearances--all the muppets portray an awareness of being actors, and an ability (beyond their age/wisdom on the street) to play to grownup audiences, i still think of it as a real street, sort of reverse from tms model:

it's not that the muppets have lives we don't see and then they go to work & make the show, but rather that sesame street is where they live and kick back & be themselves, and they come out to perform for us as their jobs (talkshow appearances, murray and global grover segments, and how we see the muppeteers as well as the characters when we watch the show). the street we see on tv is the real place they all live & the show we see is how they are off camera.

my perception comes from intervews with the cast. i think it was sonia who said that she saw jim & frank express affection through bert & ernie that they would be uncomfortable expressing as themselves. sonia and bob both say the cast isn't acting, they're all actually like that in real life. so on the show you see real characters in bert and frank, maria and sonia, etc.

and then this made in ny panel last week was about production, and elmo & murray didn't come out to perform, they just came out for a photo after kevin and joey did the panel. it was almost like the monsters were the muppeteers' managers--i mean, if they didn't exist, kevin & joey wouldn't have been there, would they? so basically, i think of the human cast, muppeteers, and muppets doing all the promo stuff as their jobs, and the show is the five hours of their week we see when they're at home. that make sense? :wink:
I hear every one of your words as i agree with you. It's like what Peanut said to Jeff Dunham on the Christmas Speical just the last Sunday. "If i weren't here you would look stupid." Is what Peanut said to Jeff about him being the star of the show.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Out of curiosity (and sheer will to procrastinate), i searched google maps state by state and came up with 88 Sesame Streets in the U.S. and 9 in Canada. With that many choices, I should try to live on one of them sometime! Though one of the Florida ones is in a neighborhood of Ali Baba themed streets, most of these sesame streets seem to be new, like on the edges of developments, so most likely named after our favorite street. The one in Maine is next to Big Bird Street...which sounds slightly less cool to get to write on your envelopes...

AL: Dadeville
AK: Anchorage, North Pole, Juneau
AR: Lonsdale, Conway, White Hall
CA: Bakersfield, Torrance, San Diego, Madera, Chula Vista, Lake Forest, Nevada City, Shasta, Yuba, Paradise
CO: Aspen
FL: Middleburg, North Port, Opa-Locka, Palatka, Wewahitchka, Hudson, Miami, Sarasota, Palm Beach Gardens, Englewood
GA: Columbus
IL: Franklin Park
IN: Portland, Dillsboro
IA: Cherokee
KY: Morehead
ME: Skowhegan
MI: Oakland
MN: Rogers
MO: Camdenton
MT: Butte
NE: Fremont
NH: Keene, Raymond
NJ: Clarksboro, Camden
NM: Rio Arriba
NY: Old Chatham, Kings Park, Rock Tavern, Wurtsoro, Ithaca, Plattsburgh
NC: Waynesville
OH: Springboro, Dayton, Convoy, Cincinnati, Athens
PA: Bethlehem, Erie, Bloomsburg
RI: Westerly
SC: Florence, McColl, Walhalla, Laurens, Rocky Hill, Wagener
SD: Eagle Butte
TN: Blountville
TX: Paris, Houston, College Station, Dallas, Santa Fe, Lakehills, Austin, San Antonio
UT: Salt Lake City
VT: Randolph
VA: Richmond
WV: Mercer
WI: Stevens Point
WY: Worland

BC: Abbotsford
NS: Truro, Kentville, Yarmouth
ON: Orillia, Toronto, Cornwall, Mississauga,
PE: Summerside
Tempe, Arizona also contains a Sesame Street! :smile:

ISNorden

Reaction score
I'm betting that almost all these real-life streets were named in honor of the TV show (which doesn't make their existence any less interesting). It'd be cool to learn how many of them have child-related businesses (like a day-care center or a toy shop)...I can just imagine some kid bragging to an out-of-town relative that he goes to day care on Sesame Street!

StreetScenes

Reaction score
I'm betting that almost all these real-life streets were named in honor of the TV show (which doesn't make their existence any less interesting). It'd be cool to learn how many of them have child-related businesses (like a day-care center or a toy shop)...I can just imagine some kid bragging to an out-of-town relative that he goes to day care on Sesame Street!
well, the one in Bethlehem, PA has the local PBS station on it, i found out when PA cut PBS's entire operating budget this year.

i bet a few are in areas where all the streets are named for spices & herbs, but i bet you're right that most were named after the show and therefore in relatively new suburban developments (i mean, look at the list of towns...) which would look and feel NOTHING like the real sesame street.

on that note, i wonder how many streets there are that have the FEEL of sesame street? ok, probably none with 8ft tall yellow birds, but i mean the utopian urban neighborhood with people who know each other, where neighborhood kids play together relatively unsupervised b/c all the grownups know them & collectively keep an eye on them, with some outdoor chill spots like the steps of 123, and a real corner store (and i don't mean starbucks, which would probably indicate that the neighborhood was gentrified to uncomfortable levels of yuppie pretension). there are probably fewer streets that feel like sesame than are named sesame.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The one in Wakefield is the one I see every so often... there's nothing by it, or around it... it's basically just a suburb out there (which is why I don't see it often enough to take a picture of it), and I only really pass by it when I'm getting a ride out to somewhere I don't frequent that often. Mainly cuz the buses don't run to that mall.

And in case you're wondering... no... the street sign isn't one of those old timey street signs that the show uses for their logo... just one of those standard rectangular green ones.

Oddly enough I once found a Cogswell street. And All I could think of was Cogswell is a real name?

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
When you say Oakland, MI do you mean Oakland County? If so I may have to go the distance and try to find it :wink: I can just imagine driving up to somebody and asking where I can find Sesame Street.