Does anybody think you're weird for watching Sesame Street?

Redsonga

Reaction score
Yep ,I know just how many of you guies feel. When I tell people I watch SS they look at me like I am an alian. Some people even make fun of my muppet lunch box .The only thing I dont get is many of the people who make fun of me still watch Care Bears witch isint when you think about it isint relly that diffrent .
I watch SS and Care Bears and My Little Pony and all sorts of 80's cartoons and anime :excited:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
My Little Pony is trippy!:eek: The Care bears are cool, but their no Sesame street to me, though.

Drtooth

Reaction score
This comes up sometimes in documentaries, books, etc. People forget about the Muppeteers there and just believe in the characters totally without thinking about it. Guest stars on the Muppet Show have noted it. Carol Burnett said once: "When Kermit is up there, staring you in the face, you believe in him completely. I feel that Kermit has a soul. As for Animal, I had to dance with Animal and I had no difficulty in believing in him either because I was terrified of Animal!"

Kevin Clash mentioned that kids just see the Muppeteers as "people who carry their friends around". In one of the Fraggle Rock DVDs, people forget that the voices behind the Gorgs are off set (with those mitten things). Scripts were sometimes given to the Gorgs instead of Jerry, Cheryl and Richard!:stick_out_tongue:

Do you have Caroll Spinney's book? There's a beautiful scene with Big Bird and Snuffy where they say goodbye (supposedly) forever. I don't want to spoil the story if you haven't read it, but you should. I think you'd like it. It deals with this, too.

So I don't think you're alone in just enjoying the characters and forgetting about the Muppeteers. Lots of people do it...guest stars, adults, even Muppeteers!

You may want to check this clip out, too. I often forget that it's Caroll in this clip and just listen to what Big Bird says:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4gydgBIpf0

Convincing John
That sums up what makes the Muppets special to me. I know they're puppets, everyone knows they're puppets... and yet, the suspended disbelief of seeing them perform... they come more alive than most living, breathing, human actors. Even if you see them perform them in person, there's someone holding them up... they come alive. It's not just magic, but talent on the parts of the puppeteers and puppet artisans.

Yep ,I know just how many of you guies feel. When I tell people I watch SS they look at me like I am an alian. Some people even make fun of my muppet lunch box .The only thing I dont get is many of the people who make fun of me still watch Care Bears witch isint when you think about it isint relly that diffrent .
I find that rediculous myself. Care Bears is purely for a younger audience. Much as I like Mr. beastly, I pretty much want to disavow the fact I liked them before I was in preschool. Of course, if the kids that watch Care Bears are girls, then they get away with the cuteness factor.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Much as I like Mr. beastly, I pretty much want to disavow the fact I liked them before I was in preschool.
I have never disavowed any show I started liking when I was little save Romper Room. Everything else, Care Bears, My Little Pony, Fraggle Rock, Punky Brewster, JEM, Strawberry Shortcake, Rainbow Brite, Tiny Toons, Shining Time Station, Welcome To Pooh Corner etc I still watch with just as much fandom as I ever had. Not just for the cuteness but for the plot, yes, plot. I write fanfic after all, and many of them have fandoms of many many people :smile:. My Little Pony alone has tousands :wink:
For this reason I guess I am use to people thinking my watching something is weird. To me Sesame Street is on the same level because it is looked at as just as odd by people outside the fandom, but I don't mind :smile:. I don't judge them against one another I just enjoy them all...

Drtooth

Reaction score
The only things I really grew to not liking when I was older were the girly shows I watched when I was really, really, really young. pre-preschool young. It's those colors. They were so bright and happy. I also want to point out, I'm a Dude, so your milage may vary.

That said, I also watched quite a lot of classic cartoons like Bugs and Popeye, and especially Terrytoons when I was younger. I miss being able to see those kind of cartoons in syndication.

Redsonga

Reaction score
It's those colors. They were so bright and happy.
I eat bright and happy like candy :smile:. But then I have always been a bright and happy girl by nature :wink:. You proably would not like me :stick_out_tongue:.

Sometimes I guess what we see as weird for someone to watch has a lot to do with what we feel the show stands for... :\

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I have never disavowed any show I started liking when I was little save Romper Room. Everything else, Care Bears, My Little Pony, Fraggle Rock, Punky Brewster, JEM, Strawberry Shortcake, Rainbow Brite, Tiny Toons, Shining Time Station, Welcome To Pooh Corner etc I still watch with just as much fandom as I ever had. Not just for the cuteness but for the plot, yes, plot. I write fanfic after all, and many of them have fandoms of many many people :smile:. My Little Pony alone has tousands :wink:
Well I like all the shows you names, but I guess the ones targeted at girls I've just not been that interested or into. But I guess boys always grow up with a stigma to turn to liking things targeted at boys or both genders so they end up liking those things...

But I like Strawberry shortcake, though!:smile:

Redsonga

Reaction score
Well I like all the shows you names, but I guess the ones targeted at girls I've just not been that interested or into. But I guess boys always grow up with a stigma to turn to liking things targeted at boys or both genders so they end up liking those things...

But I like Strawberry shortcake, though!:smile:
I watched the GI Joe cartoon when I was little to, and I never felt like I should'nt watch it. My daddy had been in the army though, so I was use to the whole idea. I also watched X-Men, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles...
You know, I don't think I ever was given a 'this show is just for boys/girls' talk at all. My parents were never like that :smile:

mikebennidict

Reaction score
This thread is supposed to be about SS not GIJOE or Strawberry Shortcake.

Can we please stay on topic?

Redsonga

Reaction score
The subject of how people are brought up to see tv shows a certain way does have alot to do with SS. If we were brought up to see it more as a collection of talent rather than just a learning show more people might not think we were weird for watching it. There was so many deeper levels to 'preschool' shows that hardly anyone ever looks at :smile:. We all bring different backgrounds to liking it to...