Your Thoughts: Authentic Gonzo Replica

Luke

Reaction score
Yeah if anyones knocking up a batch of Fozzie bears put me down for one ..... even though of course i totally condone people selling these things so will have to trade you the Fozzie for some pretty paper notes with peoples heads on them and numbers written across the top! *wink wink*

Anyway its for research and educational purposes!

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
When I did my poser Gonzo, I used the same paint that Terry used on his poser. I will probably getting another Gonzo if I can find one for the right price and redo his nose the way it suppose to be. I have the puppet building skills and carving skills, might as well. The only thing is that the foam is going to be a little expensive, but worth it. :concern:
This is the paint Terry recommended, but there was no specific pantone color for it. It was a mixture of two different swatches, so I had to eyeball it. I looked at him again after Frogboy made the comment and it's definitely quite a few shades darker than it looks in the photographs. On my camera screen it almost looked completely white and glowing. At least it looks better than that in the picture on the computer screen.

You're right about the Scott foam. It's the most expensive part of the whole puppet. I got it from Rogers Foam and there is a minimum order of $500!

:stick_out_tongue:

Telly

Reaction score
Back to the Master Replicas poser.....

What size shoes fit Gonzo?

MuppetCaper

Reaction score
This is the paint Terry recommended, but there was no specific pantone color for it. It was a mixture of two different swatches, so I had to eyeball it. I looked at him again after Frogboy made the comment and it's definitely quite a few shades darker than it looks in the photographs. On my camera screen it almost looked completely white and glowing. At least it looks better than that in the picture on the computer screen.

You're right about the Scott foam. It's the most expensive part of the whole puppet. I got it from Rogers Foam and there is a minimum order of $500!

What size did you get on the foam? I know Terry used 35 PPI foam. I am planning on getting some to do the end of this year.

Also, I said I can sculp, not sew....totally different, and if I had a Fozzie pattern to go by, I would do that no matter how long it took me to make him. I have friends who know how to do puppet sowing so maybe they can help out if I HAD Fozzie patterns. ( wouldn't that be nice?)

Keeermit

Reaction score
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii188/jbpuppets/l_015e5ee747ff0dabe541fb7dec2309d9.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii188/jbpuppets/l_ac83d035ce631cc6605dd872e3990210.jpg

there are a few photos of my second gonzo puppet replica, i think the trick for the bottom lip paint is to put it on lightly. I am now in the process (very slow process) of making a new gonzo - his nose has been carved and painted - i am now just waiting for the foam to turn slightly yellow (as it does with age) to give it the right color. :concern:

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
WOE, your Gonzo is FANTASTIC! We gotta see him in a pic with your MR Kermie.

Jarrod, your Gonzo is still fantastic too! Looking forward to pics of your newest version.

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
What size did you get on the foam? I know Terry used 35 PPI foam. I am planning on getting some to do the end of this year.
You need a block that is 6 X 6 X 10" to make a Gonzo head, but you'll have to buy more than that to get up to $500. A block that size will run around $50. But you can mix and match it with other kinds of foam, too. Besides, you want to have at least one extra block in case you make a mistake in the carving.

And yes, you want 35ppi in natural color (obviously not black).

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii188/jbpuppets/l_015e5ee747ff0dabe541fb7dec2309d9.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii188/jbpuppets/l_ac83d035ce631cc6605dd872e3990210.jpg

there are a few photos of my second gonzo puppet replica, i think the trick for the bottom lip paint is to put it on lightly. I am now in the process (very slow process) of making a new gonzo - his nose has been carved and painted - i am now just waiting for the foam to turn slightly yellow (as it does with age) to give it the right color. :concern:
Yeah, I may have put the pink paint on a little thick. At first I was trying to fill in all the holes in the foam, but I don't think I really needed to do that. Also, I suggest, for anyone trying this at home, test paint a scrap of foam first because the colors darken when they dry.

One other question for Jarrod: Do you put the top hairs in his head in one clump or do you spread them out individually? Terry said they go in one clump, but I've been studying pictures and depending on which Gonzo you're looking at, they seem to be spread out individually, although still definitely in one general area.

MuppetCaper

Reaction score
Where did you get your fur and the eyeballs? I am plan ning on working on a Gonzo sometime next year.